Salary Cap: Yohe! There's a Bombulie in the Molinari sauce! (Not da media thread.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
He is the same age as Sid and Geno and signed for 7 years. He fits right into the Pens future.

also makes the Penguins brand infinitely more marketable. "Come see the top 2 centers in the game play with one of the top 3 scoring wingers in the game for the next 7 years"

TheCraigAdamsZone

Apr 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I wasn't aware that someone signed for 7 more years and hasn't missed a game in 5 years isn't a future piece. Who would have guessed?

I swear, people would be fine with winning nothing and pissing away Crosby and Malkin's primes if it means we have a good prospect pool.

This kind of mentality is exactly what this organization needs to lose. We've been pissing away our future year in and year out. Have we won anything?

TheCraigAdamsZone

Apr 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Well ya, we won a Cup and made another final. But again, Kessel isn't pissing away the future. He'd be here for 7 more years.

Right, but we'd be trading away another first round pick and some more assets in our system to get him. I just don't think he's the solution. I would obviously hope I'm wrong, but it feels like a big gamble to me that Rutherford is too comfortable to make.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Right, but we'd be trading away another first round pick and some more assets in our system to get him. I just don't think he's the solution. I would obviously hope I'm wrong, but it feels like a big gamble to me that Rutherford is too comfortable to make.

Kessel is a gamble, unnamed yet to be drafted prospects aren't. Got it

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

I assume this kinda thing happens when you hire one of the worst GMs in the NHL. As much as I trust JR to address the needs, he's going to be screwed over in any trade so prepare to lose a lot of what valuable young players we have left.

penguins2946*

This kind of mentality is exactly what this organization needs to lose. We've been pissing away our future year in and year out. Have we won anything?

Pissing picks and prospects away for bandaids and rentals is very different from trading for an elite long term solution

Callista nailed it right here. Only focusing on the future and pissing away Crosby and Malkin's primes is just as bad as pissing away picks and prospects for rentals every year like we have. There needs to be a balance of trying to win now and prepare for the future. Kessel does both of those.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It's not necessarily age that concerns me, it's the cap hit associated with him. All these high paid stars packed into the top 2 lines concerns me for the rest of the team.

the lack of high-priced wingers hasn't exactly facilitated a lot of depth on the Pens bottom-two lines.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

I'm usually positive but after everything Colligan is saying, this offseason just seems like it's going to disappoint, I'm glad we might be signing Plotnikov but I'm not convinced we will be able to add a top 6 winger and if we do, we're going to end up overpaying by a large margin, I wouldn't be surprised if Pouliot + Kapanen + Sutter + 1st is a package for a winger we want (like Skinner or Kessel)

penguins2946*

Just throw Sutter in a package for Kessel with a package of futures not named Pouliot and call it a day at this point. I'm starting to fear our top-6 next year will be Kapanen-Crosby-Hornqvist and Perron-Malkin-Plotnikov.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Just throw Sutter in a package for Kessel with a package of futures not named Pouliot and call it a day at this point. I'm starting to fear our top-6 next year will be Kapanen-Crosby-Hornqvist and Perron-Malkin-Plotnikov.

Could be worse, I guess.

TheCraigAdamsZone

Apr 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
the lack of high-priced wingers hasn't exactly facilitated a lot of depth on the Pens bottom-two lines.

Right, but I also think they've been going after the wrong guys (guys who can't win battles along the boards) and people that can't keep up with the fast pace winning teams have nowadays.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Kessel to play here, I just worry about the other three wingers for the top two lines, and of course the rest of the depth.

penguins2946*

I dont want Kessel at all, this teams young kids will all be gone. Amount of people on this board wanting him is insane

That's just not even remotely true, unless you think that Toronto is in any leverage to get Maatta, Pouliot, Kapanen, Sundqvist, Bennett and everyone else. They'll get 2 young players max, and neither of those 2 will be Maatta or Pouliot.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I understand that there's people here that just don't like Kessel, and that's fine, but the ones that claim that adding him would create more problems than it solves are beyond out to lunch. Also, who cares about "the kids being gone". If you get Kessel you don't have to have a kid fill a top 6 spot for 2, 3, 4 years. Plenty of time to draft and develop (or sign and develop) one or two (with smart drafting and scouting). You'd only have to worry about filling bottom 6 roles with the kids you do have, which is where almost all of their forward prospects project to.

Right, but I also think they've been going after the wrong guys (guys who can't win battles along the boards) and people that can't keep up with the fast pace winning teams have nowadays.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Kessel to play here, I just worry about the other three wingers for the top two lines, and of course the rest of the depth.

You mean Horny, Perron and Kessel don't give you depth in your top 6?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Some people have posted some lineups over the past couple of days where Kessel is a part of the top-6 AND the team has what I consider incredibly forward depth. The defense is a bit light, but that has to happen at some point with all of these kids.

I think it's doable. I don't think it's happening, but I think it's doable.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
That's just not even remotely true, unless you think that Toronto is in any leverage to get Maatta, Pouliot, Kapanen, Sundqvist, Bennett and everyone else. They'll get 2 young players max, and neither of those 2 will be Maatta or Pouliot.

Well...you'd certainly hope so but this is Rutherford we're talking about. I believe Maatta is safe but I could see him moving Pouliot, decreasing our defensive depth.

It's sad that I'm more nervous than excited about a Pens trade :laugh: because I just have a feeling the old man is going to get fleeced.

Callista Rhian

Dec 27, 2014
Land of Ice & Snow

I'd be ok with trading Pooh if it was just him, a pick or two, and Scuderi for Kessel.

See you guys later, wheels up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->