Rumor: Yohe heard from this guy who knows the kid who saw Bryzgalov pass out at 31 flavors.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If we sign someone now, then Zatkoff is in the AHL and never gets the chance to show if he's a worthy NHL back up. So why not wait since we don't know what we have? Who is this for sure veteran back up that we can sign that will erase our goalie problems? Bryz? Oh yeah let's sign the other half of the historic worst goaltending performance in recent playoff history.

I do think Bryz could be a lot better in a new situation but he's still unstable mentally. What if we sign him and then Vokoun is back by midseason, then what do we do? I like the patient approach here since we know Fleury is their guy this season regardless of who we sign. Let's at least give Zatkoff a chance to see if we have an NHL back up for next season.

That said, if Vokoun is for sure done for the season and we know that now, then signing a veteran back up ASAP makes sense.

So then by that logic, Pouliot and Harrington will never see the NHL because we won't play them and we will never know what we have.

Yes, we should be giving younger players "chances"...but Zatkoff to backup Fleury as Plan A is foolish. I mean come on man...you gotta know better than that. If Fleury melts down again...then what. You have THAT much faith in Zatkoff?

If the organization HAD THAT much faith in Zatkoff he'd already be up here. There wouldn't have been a need for Vokoun. There wouldn't have been a need for Murray or Jarry...or Hartzell. Zatkoff is simply the next in line. A next in line goalie that will not carry the team. We need something better. We need a 1B.

Now like I said, is Bryz that ultimate end all be all answer? Of course not. But there would be a more settling feeling know that a goalie of Bryz's caliber (excluding the Flyers fiasco) is capable of taking over...not a AHL/NHL backup. That's what the Penguins need right now...this is not the time to be experimenting with backup goalies. If we had a gap in the Top 6 how great would you feel about giving Sill or Kuhn the chance? Because you didn't want to sign say...Briere (example)? Yes a different situation but the principles are the same.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Will he take league min for 1 year for sitting on the bench and telling jokes? I would love to see him rip into Pittsburgh sports media. Rossi and Bryzgalov is gold.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
Will he take league min for 1 year for sitting on the bench and telling jokes? I would love to see him rip into Pittsburgh sports media. Rossi and Bryzgalov is gold.

Rossi would make a joke and Bryz would end up beating him through the ground.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So then by that logic, Pouliot and Harrington will never see the NHL because we won't play them and we will never know what we have.

Yes, we should be giving younger players "chances"...but Zatkoff to backup Fleury as Plan A is foolish. I mean come on man...you gotta know better than that. If Fleury melts down again...then what. You have THAT much faith in Zatkoff?

If the organization HAD THAT much faith in Zatkoff he'd already be up here. There wouldn't have been a need for Vokoun. There wouldn't have been a need for Murray or Jarry...or Hartzell. Zatkoff is simply the next in line. A next in line goalie that will not carry the team. We need something better. We need a 1B.

Now like I said, is Bryz that ultimate end all be all answer? Of course not. But there would be a more settling feeling know that a goalie of Bryz's caliber (excluding the Flyers fiasco) is capable of taking over...not a AHL/NHL backup. That's what the Penguins need right now...this is not the time to be experimenting with backup goalies. If we had a gap in the Top 6 how great would you feel about giving Sill or Kuhn the chance? Because you didn't want to sign say...Briere (example)? Yes a different situation but the principles are the same.

Calm down. Harrington and Pouliot are much younger and will get their time. They have zero games of professional hockey. Stop making ridiculous comparisons that aren't related. Zatkoff has been a very good AHL goalie for several years and hasn't had his opportunity yet. I'm not comfortable with a Fleury-Zatkoff tandem going into the playoffs but guess what, the season hasn't even started yet and we don't even know that Vokoun will be out the whole season. I'm talking about a 10 game sample to see what we have in Zatkoff. I'm fine with them signing Bryz, I would just rather wait until they know for sure what is up with Vokoun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->