Rumor: Yohe heard from this guy who knows the kid who saw Bryzgalov pass out at 31 flavors.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Bryz has been like the Russian version of Fleury in the playoffs his last two playoff runs posting save percentages of .879 and .887

I guess I'd take him over Zatkoff if he came cheap enough since he at least has some track record of being a solid NHL level goalie. Still seems rather unlikely though.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I love some of the replies in this thread, his entire career is erased because of two years on a team where the defense was like swiss cheese and no goaltender really has done all that well consistently for them in quite some time, even Bobs was average before he was dumped to the Jackets where he quickly found his way again.

Ilya was no chump with the Ducks or Coyotes, even in Phoenix in the playoffs, that team severely under-performed, suddenly 2yrs in Philly and let's write him off.

Fleury has more than 2 bad years.

This team has had worse back-up options, let's cry some more.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think this board could handle this, no....I know you guys/gals can't handle this if it happen.

First this,:baghead: and now you're talking adding this :silly:.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Bryz on a 1 yr 1 mil deal would be a pretty sweet deal. Almost no downside and still pretty decent upside.

Winning the cup with the Flyers paying our goalie. That would alright.

He wasnt good in Philly but their D was worse than ours.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
Bryz on a 1 yr 1 mil deal would be a pretty sweet deal. Almost no downside and still pretty decent upside.

Winning the cup with the Flyers paying our goalie. That would alright.

He wasnt good in Philly but their D was worse than ours.

But you still can´t compare the way our team plays with the way the Coyotes or Ducks played, when Bryz had his best years.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
tumblr_mdgfhmwMWm1r2c05t.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
As I wrote before, it's so clear to me what would happen IF the Pens signed Bryzgalov (i.e., if Vokoun is out more than say a month). He'd thoroughly outplay Fleury. Vokoun would come back. And watching Shero and Bylsma deal with that one would be positively epic. :laugh:

On a side note, a question for the hockey experts: What's bigger, Bryzgalov's universe or Bylsma's ego? :D

EDIT: ObsessedCreative, you're excused from answering the question. I found your answer in the Fluery for Miller thread . . . :laugh:

bylsma1_330.jpg
- "NEVER underestimate my stupidity!"

ObsessedCreative*

As I wrote before, it's so clear to me what would happen IF the Pens signed Bryzgalov (i.e., if Vokoun is out more than say a month). He'd thoroughly outplay Fleury. Vokoun would come back. And watching Shero and Bylsma deal with that one would be positively epic. :laugh:

On a side note, a question for the hockey experts: What's bigger, Bryzgalov's universe or Bylsma's ego? :D

EDIT: ObsessedCreative, you're excused from answering the question. I found your answer in the Fluery for Miller thread . . . :laugh:

boom! ;)

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
You'd think with a former #1 overall pick, 5 million per/year goalie that the backup going down would be no big deal but we all know that isn't the case. It really sucks that it has to be. It speaks volumes about where Fleury is at this point in his career and it isn't good.

ObsessedCreative*

You'd think with a former #1 overall pick, 5 million per/year goalie that the backup going down would be no big deal but we all know that isn't the case. It really sucks that it has to be. It speaks volumes about where Fleury is at this point in his career and it isn't good.

well the fact that we even needed to invest 2 million dollars on a cap strapped team in a "back-up" was a massive red flag to begin with.

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
I'm all for this if Vokoun can't come back. Bryz is a nut and not very healthy for our locker room but he's not as bad as Philly's goaltender-go-round made him out to be.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Bryz and even Miller do not solve a single problem on the Pens. They are all almost indistinguishable from each other IMO (esp Bryz/MAF). I will take my chances that Zatkoff is at least as good at Bryz plus he can be set back down when TV comes back.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...0&teamid=0&type=shots&sort=ShPctA&sortdir=ASC

5v5 SV%
Miller 92.5%
MAF 91.9%
Bryz 91.5%

for reference
Vokoun: 93.2% (#6 overall)
I would consider elite goaltenders at >93% SV% at 5v5 (which gives about 10). 91% are the bottom 3rd (which is MAF/Bryz). Miller would be slightly above average IMO.

I guess its a whole different story if you think MAF isn't even serviceable to the Pens, but with this team, he should be enough to make the playoffs. Obviously, you want a better option once they are there.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Bryz and even Miller do not solve a single problem on the Pens. They are all almost indistinguishable from each other IMO (esp Bryz/MAF). I will take my chances that Zatkoff is at least as good at Bryz plus he can be set back down when TV comes back.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...0&teamid=0&type=shots&sort=ShPctA&sortdir=ASC

5v5 SV%
Miller 92.5%
MAF 91.9%
Bryz 91.5%

for reference
I would consider elite goaltenders at >93% SV% at 5v5 (which gives about 10). 91% are the bottom 3rd (which is MAF/Bryz). Miller would be slightly above average IMO.

I guess its a whole different story if you think MAF isn't even serviceable to the Pens, but with this team, he should be enough to make the playoffs. Obviously, you want a better option once they are there.

The quality of shots Bryz and Miller face is on a different level though. The Flyers and Sabres have far below average D.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010

5v5 SV%
Miller 92.5%
MAF 91.9%
Bryz 91.5%

for reference

Have you watched Miller? Like ever?

Kovifan27

Jan 17, 2012
Philly, PA
I don't really even know what to think of this.

If the Pens picked him up and he played out of his mind the city of Philly would melt down. A lot of my friends are still upset w/letting Bob go.

I would suspect the Pens are looking at every FA goalie so the name game is going to tie them to everyone.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Could we have 'All in for Bryz' avatars?

On a related note, how are Yohe (and Rossi) qualified for their job?

I am assuming that neither of them have ever played hockey. Did they go to journalism school?

All are free to make their own avatar but I don't think you'll get anyone to start making All in for Bryz avatars because it's more scary than funny. ;)

To your second point, no Rossi and Yohe are not qualified to do their job even though yes, they probably did graduate from Journalism school. It doesn't mean much these days. Sadly, they're in the majority. Most American journalists under the age of 40 (roughly) don't know what they're doing. But shoddy reporting has become commonplace and younger generations have gotten so used to it / have seen so little else, that they don't question it. This is just sports obviously, but it goes well beyond that into the realm of business reporting, politics, and foreign affairs.

There are only about a dozen university programs out there that are truly rigorous in how they teach and train students to research, validate, and report. The rest are glorified English degrees basically. So you have to find someone who went to one of those programs, and who applied themselves to learning all they could (rather than just coasting through)... good luck.

My understanding is Rossi went to WV and no, WV is not one of those schools or anywhere close.

Last edited:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I don't really even know what to think of this.

If the Pens picked him up and he played out of his mind the city of Philly would melt down. A lot of my friends are still upset w/letting Bob go.

I would suspect the Pens are looking at every FA goalie so the name game is going to tie them to everyone.
Agreed.

It took Vokoun over 3 months to be cleared to resume his career back in 2006-07 with Nashville. Who knows how long it'll take this time. Pens will obviously have to do their due diligence with goalies on the market in case Vokoun does have to miss a ton of time or has a setback while trying to recover. Fleury could also get hurt or Zatkoff could struggle in the NHL. You never know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad