Years were the 2nd round turned out better than the 1st round

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I was looking up Pierre Larouche for another thread and noticed that the 2nd round was better than the 1st round in 1974.

2nd round had 2 HHOF guys in Trottier and Howe and 5 pretty good guys as well.

The first round had Clark Gillies, who is a suspect HHOF guy and some other okayish type of guys in Wilf Paeiment, Larouche and Lee Fogolin.

Even the 3rd round in 74 was pretty decent, comparatively speaking to the first with guys like Bob Murray, Bob Bourne and Charlie simmer, along with Bob Sirous who fizzled very fast.

Sirous later published a book that I heard about although it sounded kind of flawed on the surface as it only looked at stats without greater context it seems.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...ainst-FrenchCanadian-players-in-new-book.html

No doubt there might have been some validity to what he was talking about in the 70's in Canada and with the NHL being mostly Canadian born players, coaches and managers ect but their jobs were to produce and I think Sirous book over exaggerates a point but maybe that's for another topic.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
1974 was a year where teams were allowed to draft 18 and 19 year olds into the NHL as the league was afraid of the WHL stealing young players from junior leagues. Trottier and Howe were both 18-year-olds competing with 20-year-olds in the draft. If Trottier and Howe were only competing with guys from their own age group, they would both have been first rounders for sure.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
1985 is pretty even

1st round

significant players: calle johansson, wendel clark, craig simpson, ulf dahlen, dave manson, derek king

plumbers: craig wolanin, dana murzyn, tom chorske, jim sandlak, brent fedyk

2nd round

significant players: joe nieuwendyk, sean burke, mike richter, eric weinrich, benoit hogue

plumbers: kay whitmore, john druce

future coach: todd richards

1st round has more depth, but i think the three best players of the 2nd round might have been better than any guy in the 1st round [ducks beer bottles thrown by leafs fans].

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
1985 is pretty even

1st round

significant players: calle johansson, wendel clark, craig simpson, ulf dahlen, dave manson, derek king

plumbers: craig wolanin, dana murzyn, tom chorske, jim sandlak, brent fedyk

2nd round

significant players: joe nieuwendyk, sean burke, mike richter, eric weinrich, benoit hogue

plumbers: kay whitmore, john druce

future coach: todd richards

1st round has more depth, but i think the three best players of the 2nd round might have been better than any guy in the 1st round [ducks beer bottles thrown by leafs fans].

I think the explanation for 1985 would be because goaltenders tend to go later in the draft and Nieuwendyk was probably a bit of an unknown coming from college.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00