Yashin vs Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
mudcrutch79 said:
Deslauriers and Stoll. I'd do that deal again, based on how things have gone thus far.

Not bad! :D

The criticism of the Oilers in the original post was based on the premise that EDM couldnt turn Weight into anything. It doesn't appear to have any merit.

Last edited:

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Buffaloed said:
Not bad! :D

The criticism of the Oilers in the original post was based on the premise that EDM couldnt turn Weight into anything</i>. It doesn't appear to have any merit.

thats not really my premise. please follow me.

if EDM didnt make out so bad on Weight, then why is it used ad naseum as an example of the trouble with the NHL system.

if EDM did make out so bad, is it really the system's fault or is it more likely the fault of EDM management ? I mean, Bure returned Jovo and Yashin returned Spezza and Chara. Even Tkachuk landed a Nagy. There are for more examples of good expensive players getting the team something back then ones that dont.

Which is it ?

EDM is a poor example of why the NHL needs fixing, so i wish their fans would just admint it.

dr

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
DementedReality said:
well, if EDM is ok with what they got for WEight, then why the moaning ? would you rather be paying WEight 6m right now instead ? i would rather have cheap players like Stoll, Reasoner and Delauriers than even a reasonable 6m Weight.
Prospects. Right now, since Edmonton is sorely lacking a #1 center, I'd take Weight (some Oiler fans may disagree with me though). We got way more prospects than top-line centers right now.

And I'd rather pay him 4 million, because thats what a player like him should demand, based on the bush-league revenue that the NHL brings in.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
1) OTT was lucky to be dealing with Mad Mike Milbury, who was desperate to turn his team around in a big hurry. Add in that the Isles had more better young assets than the Blues, and it's it's advantage OTT.
2) OTT was lucky that their prospect (Chara) developed, whereas Hecht struggled in EDM.
3) At the time of the deal, Yashin was 3 years further away from UFA status.
4) Doug Weight said he would only consider signing a contract extension before testing with UFA waters with STL or DET. This SEVERELY limited the return for DW as the acquiring team knew he would be a rental.
5) Yashin is a better goalscorer. He was a proven 40g, 40a man in OTT, and was just entering his prime.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Cawz said:
Here - Edmonton is an example of why the NHL needs fixing.

mudcrutch79 said:
Deslauriers and Stoll. I'd do that deal again, based on how things have gone thus far.

This poster doesnt mind it ?

I dont see how EDM has been harmed other than moves of their own making (draft and trade record).

dr

Quantas

Feb 4, 2004
Ottawa
DementedReality said:
This poster doesnt mind it ?

I dont see how EDM has been harmed other than moves of their own making (draft and trade record).

dr
I don't think it's so much a question of whether or not Edmonton won the trade. In my opinion, the main question is: how many years have the Oilers been stuck in neutral (some would say reverse) because they were forced to trade their #1 centre due to financial reasons? Sure, maybe Stoll and Deslauriers are good picks. Maybe they'll reach their full potential and Edmonton will win the trade hands-down, but the important question is how many playoff gates are lost while they're waiting for the kids to mature and produce.

As for the Ottawa trade, I can tell you, as a Sens fan, that Spezza was the lynch-pin in the deal. The fact that it's one of the most lopsided trades in history is paritially due to dumb luck and good fortune.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Quantas said:
I don't think it's so much a question of whether or not Edmonton won the trade. In my opinion, the main question is: how many years have the Oilers been stuck in neutral (some would say reverse) because they were forced to trade their #1 centre due to financial reasons? Sure, maybe Stoll and Deslauriers are good picks. Maybe they'll reach their full potential and Edmonton will win the trade hands-down, but the important question is how many playoff gates are lost while they're waiting for the kids to mature and produce.

As for the Ottawa trade, I can tell you, as a Sens fan, that Spezza was the lynch-pin in the deal. The fact that it's one of the most lopsided trades in history is paritially due to dumb luck and good fortune.

ok, would you rather right now be paying WEight 4 - 6m or have a couple high octane prospects ? dont you think the system the players are rumoured to suggest would bring a Weight type contract into that range ? some would choose Weight and some would choose the prospects, isnt it now fair to expect to EDM to make a good decision at this stage and let them live their bad choices ?

so, why should we support a further lockout when the players are offering a fair fix to the EDM issue ?

dr

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Ugh - this again...

The Oil did not trade Weight for Reasoner, Hecht (Stoll, JDD) & a throw in, they they traded 1 year of Weight for that package. He was 1 year away from UFA and after Roenick's goofy contract, Weight's comparable asking price went through the roof with respect to what the Oil could afford, so Lowe dealt him while he could get something in return. It didn't help matters that Weight limited potential suitors to just 2 or 3. IMO, considering the circumstances, Lowe did exceptionally well, but the point remains that his hand was forced by the ridiculously over-inflationary CBA. He did well for what he had to work with, but most Oiler fans would liked to have kept Weight, no question.

Now, is any of that even remotely comparable to Yashin's situation? UFA status? Nope. Fiscally responsible team? Nope (cough - bankruptcy - cough). Limited trading partners with the knowledge that they have Yashin's GM over a barrel? Nope. Bank-breaking comparable signed immediately prior? Nope.

Give it up already.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
DementedReality said:
ok, would you rather right now be paying WEight 4 - 6m or have a couple high octane prospects ? dont you think the system the players are rumoured to suggest would bring a Weight type contract into that range ? some would choose Weight and some would choose the prospects, isnt it now fair to expect to EDM to make a good decision at this stage and let them live their bad choices ?

so, why should we support a further lockout when the players are offering a fair fix to the EDM issue ?

dr

4-6 million? Give your head a shake. His deal with St. Loo averages over 8.5 mil per year over the term.

Edit: I just re-read your post & realized that I misinterpreted it. At any rate, if Weight could have been re-signed for a reasonable amount, the vast majority of Oil fans would have supported it over trading for the prospects. Of course they should bear the responsibility for their choices, no one is arguing any different. The point you seem to be missing is that many of the choices that KL has made, haven't really been choices at all - his hand was forced by the economic realities he has been forced to deal with. If you are under the impression that Oiler fans or any other small-market franchise fans are arguing for some kind of indemnity against poor decisions, you've completely missed the point.

Last edited:

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
rec28 said:
4-6 million? Give your head a shake. His deal with St. Loo averages over 8.5 mil per year over the term.

ok, with a new luxury tax system, how much would Weight command ? more than 6m ?

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
rec28 said:

Edit: I just re-read your post & realized that I misinterpreted it. At any rate, if Weight could have been re-signed for a reasonable amount, the vast majority of Oil fans would have supported it over trading for the prospects. Of course they should bear the responsibility for their choices, no one is arguing any different. The point you seem to be missing is that many of the choices that KL has made, haven't really been choices at all - his hand was forced by the economic realities he has been forced to deal with. If you are under the impression that Oiler fans or any other small-market franchise fans are arguing for some kind of indemnity against poor decisions, you've completely missed the point.

well, i see your point, my point though is that other teams have been in similar scenario's and not come out as bad. often the side of the debate i hear is exactly as you say, fans feel a system that offers some kind of ideminty is what is needed.

either way, ultimatly, as an informed Oiler fan, can you not see your team doing just fine under the players proposal ? why continue to support the owners position if they wont capitulate on this silly premise of tying salary to revenue.

dr

Quantas

Feb 4, 2004
Ottawa
DementedReality said:

dr
That's a fair question. Let's look at what the players are offering.

1. 10% salary rollback

IMO, this is practically useless. Even if we ignore the fact that an unusually large number of players don't have contracts (meaning any agent worth his "certification" will budget in an extra 10% in their negotiations) this one time act will mean less and less down the road. The whole point of this exercise is a long-term solution, not a one-shot fix.

2. Revamped Salary arbitration

If they go towards baseball's style of arbitration, that'll be a good thing. Especially if the team also has the option of taking a player to arbitration and they do away with mandatory raises. However, from what I've heard, the PA is setting restrictions on when and which player a team can select for arbitration. I disagree with this. If a player can choose when to go to arbitration (obviously when it is most convienient for them), the team should also have that right.

3. Luxury-tax ($.75 @ $40M, "harsh" @ $60M).

This is definitely a good starting point for negotiations. The main question is, is it strict enough to slow down the big spending teams (let's face it, the smaller market teams won't be affected by this at all - they won't be setting the salary bar).

A luxury tax (at this level or above) will slow the salary esclation down, but the problem of big-money teams pricing players out of the reach of smaller-market teams will still exist. It will happen on a lesser scale than today (few players getting the big contract), but it will still happen.

This is where Bettman's salary cap comes it. Players can still get the big contract, but, depending on the ceiling of the cap, teams will only be able to afford one or two big-money players, unless they want ECHLers on their 3rd and 4th lines. So if teams want to continue to throw away their money, they can still do it, only now they'll really pay for it.

I'm not naive to think a hard salary cap is the only solution to this problem. I'm sure there are versions of soft-caps and luxury taxes that be just as effective. However, your guess is as good as mine as to what will and won't be effective.

To answer your question, yes the players' new proposal is a definite improvement over their last one, but I think we still have a ways to go.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
DementedReality said:
well, i see your point, my point though is that other teams have been in similar scenario's and not come out as bad. often the side of the debate i hear is exactly as you say, fans feel a system that offers some kind of ideminty is what is needed.
dr

IMO, it's not a matter of whether a team does well or poorly in such situations - every GM is takes turns at being the raper and the rapee - IMO KL has done very well most of the time. It's that such situations exist at all that is the problem. The only reason that some might argue for such a thing (forced-indemity) is because the large market teams have that indemnity built right in. Made a terrible trade? No worries, just buy a UFA or three. Cupboards not stocked with prospects? Hey, no problem, here's a giant oversized novelty cheque. Haven't built a team quite good enough to win? Easy - rent a player or two for the PO. A few notable exceptions notwithstanding, the big boys don't have to suffer for their bad decisions. The small market teams simply don't have those luxuries. As such, when they make the inevitable mistakes, they are magnified by orders of magnitude relative to those made by the Rangers, the Avs, the Blues, etc...

DementedReality said:
either way, ultimatly, as an informed Oiler fan, can you not see your team doing just fine under the players proposal ? why continue to support the owners position if they wont capitulate on this silly premise of tying salary to revenue.
dr

From what I've seen of it (I assume you are referring to Thursday's proposal and not the joke of an offer they made a few months ago), I think it's a very reasonable starting point. I actually have no problem with the idea of tying salary to revenue - I think it's the most equitable solution for all involved: it makes everyone a team member with an equally vested interest (rising tides raise all ships, etc). Moreover, I see no point in setting any kind of salary drag if it isn't based on a percentage of revenues. Why on Earth would a union agree to numbers that are effectively "hard-coded" and make no allowances for an improvement in league fortunes, and why would they expect that the owners would agree to be bound by certain numbers even if the entire league goes into the financial tank?

Tying salary to revenue (assuming they can come up with an agreed-upon defenition of revenue) makes everyone involved responsible when the whole operation goes into the ******* and allows everyone to share in the wealth when times are grand.

What I do have a problem with is the idea of cost-certainty. No business I know of has such a luxury - costs go up, costs go down - the best you can do is try to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
DementedReality said:
if EDM didnt make out so bad on Weight, then why is it used ad naseum as an example of the trouble with the NHL system.

By the time guys like Stoll and Deslauriers are making an impact, the Oilers will have to deal guys like Brewer and Smyth. And by the time the prospects they get for Brewer and Smyth make an impact, they'll have to deal Stoll and Deslauriers. It's the rebuilding ad nauseum that's the problem with the NHL system. Oilers fans would like to go into a season thinking they have a chance to win a cup rather than gushing over prospects. Had they been able to keep Weight, Marchant, Comrie, and Guerin they might have that feeling.

Brent Burns Beard