Player Discussion: Yanni Gourde

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Heard a rumor we are looking to sign the Q leading scorer Alex Barre-Boulet. 5'9 170 20 year old left hand shot center, has 10 more goals then the next best and 30 point scoring lead.

Courtesy of Google translate:
According to Lady Rumor in the amphitheatres of the #LHJMQ Alex Barré-Boulet The best pointer of the circuit and player par excellence of the league in NOV-DEC and JAN will become the property of the #Lightning of Tampa Bay at the beginning of March-will he become another Martel or Gourde?

Last edited:

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Heard a rumor we are looking to sign the Q leading scorer Alex Barre-Boulet. 5'9 170 20 year old left hand shot center, has 10 more goals then the next best and 30 point scoring lead.
Just out of curiosity, how do guys like this not get drafted by anybody? Is it purely a size thing? Is he a late bloomer? Nobody took a chance on this guy?

I mean, as far as I can tell, if you're skilled in the Q, chances are you're just skilled period.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Just out of curiosity, how do guys like this not get drafted by anybody? Is it purely a size thing? Is he a late bloomer? Nobody took a chance on this guy?

I mean, as far as I can tell, if you're skilled in the Q, chances are you're just skilled period.

Not sure really because he isn't someone who just lit it up his overage year. What would have been his draft year was the only one of his 4 years in the Q where he was below a ppg.

Reactions: Bolt 45

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016

Well, every year in the CHL there's always at least a few guys in their over-age year that light it up and get NHL contracts. Most don't become NHLer's of course and usually will spend a few years toiling in the AHL or ECHL before going to Europe to make some more money/travel etc. They're free agents so if you got the space to sign them why not? Maybe you get lucky or at least you get a decent AHL player. I don't know anything about the guy but just looking at his stats I don't think he is necessarily a late bloomer, his stats in his draft year were not that bad especially for a rookie. However with his below average size and mediocre-at-best stats it's understandable he wasn't really on anybody's radar until this year. I can think of a handful of guy's with very similar stories to him in the last 3 or so years that got contracts and haven't amounted to much NHL-wise.

Reactions: Bolt 45

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not sure really because he isn't someone who just lit it up his overage year. What would have been his draft year was the only one of his 4 years in the Q where he was below a ppg.

At the same time though, didn't he struggle to make the AHL? Gourde seems like the case of a late bloomer, where with guys like Johnson and Palat, it seems like they were overlooked for other reasons.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
At the same time though, didn't he struggle to make the AHL? Gourde seems like the case of a late bloomer, where with guys like Johnson and Palat, it seems like they were overlooked for other reasons.

Well Johnson was undersized and if I remember people thought Palat was a product of Sean Couturier. As fas as I'm concerned if this new guy pans out then hell yeah let's do it. Maybe I'm out of turn in this remark but long ago Montreal got dibs on the Quebec kids. Let's suppose this kid turns out to be another Gourde. Then how is it that the Lightning can have the foresight to sign these kids while Montreal is overlooking them in their own back yard.

How times have changed man.

As for Gourde I would be thrilled to death if we signed him to a longer deal and I'm waiting for July 1st with baited breath of the news

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
You can't judge a player on just points, Darren Raddysh was a +62 with 81 points as a RHD and couldn't get an NHL contract.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland

Courtesy of Google translate:
According to Lady Rumor in the amphitheatres of the #LHJMQ Alex Barré-Boulet The best pointer of the circuit and player par excellence of the league in NOV-DEC and JAN will become the property of the #Lightning of Tampa Bay at the beginning of March-will he become another Martel or Gourde?

Saw his stats the other day and thought we should look into signing him. Good to see Yzerman is already on it. Obviously I don't know anything about the guy but it won't hurt to give him a chance. If he doesn't work out, let him play out his ELC or release him like Hart and Darcy before this season. The smaller guys probably want to come here as they've seen what has happened with guys like Johnson and Gourde.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Most points by a rookie:
1. Richards (00-01) - 62pts
2. Palat (13-14) - 59pts
3. Johnson (13-14) - 50pts
4. Stamkos (08-09) - 46pts
5. Zamuner (92-93) - 43pts
6. Gratton (93-94) - 42pts
7. Gourde (17-18) - 40pts
8. Point (16-17) - 40pts
9. Drouin (14-15) - 32pts
10. Sergachev (17-18) - 29pts

Most goals by a rookie:

1. Johnson (13-14) - 24gs
2. Stamkos (08-09) - 23gs
3. Palat (13-14) - 23gs
4. Richards (00-01) - 21gs
5. Gourde (17-18) - 20gs
6 Point (16-17) - 18gs
7. Craig (05-06) - 15gs
8. Langkow (96-97) - 15gs
9. Zamuner (92-92) -15gs
10. Lecavalier (98-99) - 13gs
10. Gratton (93-94) - 13gs

28 games left in the season

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
How will Boeser, McAvoy injuries impact the Calder Trophy race? | The Hockey News

"
Among the most likely to overtake either injured player is Tampa Bay Lightning rookie Yanni Gourde. An early contender, Gourde has hung around the race all season and continues to fly under the radar as one of the more impressive freshmen this season. Of course, he's going to garner a bit more attention after winning NHL rookie-of-the-month honors for February with five goals and 16 points in 14 games. That was simply the continuation of what he has achieved all season, though, as Gourde is tied for second among rookies with 22 goals and sits third in freshman scoring with 50 points. The only knock against Gourde is the age-old age debate. He’s been a pro for five full seasons and turned 26 in December. By definition he's a rookie, but some won't see him in the same light as other first-year players.
The final outside shot belongs to Mikhail Sergachev, who at one point looked to have the potential to blast his way into the Calder conversation. But as the Lightning blueliner’s offense slowed, his chances of sneaking away with the rookie-of-the-year honors diminished. A late charge could do wonders, however, particularly with McAvoy out. He does have just one fewer point than the Boston defender. However, given his limited ice time, it would take a Shayne-Gostisbehere-circa-2016-17 style charge for Sergachev to really re-enter the Calder conversation."

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Needs to go to Boeser, Barzal or McAvoy. Gourde has done nicely but he doesn't hold a candle to these kids who are singlehandedly changing their team. Gourde just simply makes a good team better

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Needs to go to Boeser, Barzal or McAvoy. Gourde has done nicely but he doesn't hold a candle to these kids who are singlehandedly changing their team. Gourde just simply makes a good team better
Barzal is winning it and even with the injury I expect 31 goal boeser to be a finalist (31 NOT 29). But with McAvoy out, if Gourde stays hot I could see him being the third finalist.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't think his age or which team he plays for should matter. He has had an amazing year and if he outproduces these guys he should win.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Gourde should get a shot at winning the Calder. He has 18 less points than Barzal but 11 of Barzal's extra points are on the PP. He leads rookies in +/- and only fellow rookie Sergachev can match his 5 GWGs.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Gourde should get a shot at winning the Calder. He has 18 less points than Barzal but 11 of Barzal's extra points are on the PP. He leads rookies in +/- and only fellow rookie Sergachev can match his 5 GWGs.

Why does it matter? I'm surprised anyone here would fault PP points - just stupid, Barzal is an offensive catalyst off course he's going to be played on the PP and score more there.

Barzal is a 20 year old who's going to score 80+ points as a 1st year, it's the most impressive rookie season in a decade, Gourde will likely be a finalist since he'll crack 60 but if he doesn't it's because this is one of the best rookie classes in a long time. It doesn't undermine Gourde's season it's more a reflection on how strong this years competition is.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Barzal being 6 years younger also makes his season way more impressive. After Boeser's injury it has been pretty clear who's going to win it.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Why does it matter? I'm surprised anyone here would fault PP points - just stupid, Barzal is an offensive catalyst off course he's going to be played on the PP and score more there.

Barzal is a 20 year old who's going to score 80+ points as a 1st year, it's the most impressive rookie season in a decade, Gourde will likely be a finalist since he'll crack 60 but if he doesn't it's because this is one of the best rookie classes in a long time. It doesn't undermine Gourde's season it's more a reflection on how strong this years competition is.
Not "faulting" pp points. Just pointing out the obvious. 5 vs 4 is a competitive advantage. Would Barzal be on the 1st PP unit in Tampa? No. Should Barzal win? Of course, but Gourde should be right there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad