Player Discussion: Yanni Gourde

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It's the Bergenheim issue. He's great, but the second the price gets too high you have to let him go.

It feels likely due to how many UFAs we have when Gourde's contract expires -not to mention Gourde being a UFA in his own right. However, I can confidently say we will pitch some kind of an offer to him and whether he takes another contract with a different team will be up to him.

Kucherov ain't gonna come cheap. Not to mention Stralman and Coburn being up for new deals too. It's not like their play will likely drop off dramatically by then and it would probably be wise for us to extend them both to something like 2 year deals. They'll probably be bottom pairing defenseman by then but they'd be fantastic depth for that job.

By then Cal Foote should be ready for the NHL and he will play his 2 years and be ready for a full time role once those contracts come off the books.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Doesn't strike me as the same type like Bergenheim to go chase money, good kid, Tampa brought him up and he knows he's in a good situation. Will likely take a discount an stay, he knows he's got a solid roster spot as long as he continues to perform. Can't blame JAM for leaving he looked at the lineup and couldn't really see a spot other than fighting for 4th line LW at the time.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Doesn't strike me as the same type like Bergenheim to go chase money, good kid, Tampa brought him up and he knows he's in a good situation. Will likely take a discount an stay, he knows he's got a solid roster spot as long as he continues to perform. Can't blame JAM for leaving he looked at the lineup and couldn't really see a spot other than fighting for 4th line LW at the time.
I'll point out - chasing money does not make someone "not a good kid", and I (once again) will never go after a player for chasing a paycheck. I am more than happy to criticize that player if they don't live up to that contract, though.

Reactions: shello and Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It feels likely due to how many UFAs we have when Gourde's contract expires -not to mention Gourde being a UFA in his own right. However, I can confidently say we will pitch some kind of an offer to him and whether he takes another contract with a different team will be up to him.

Kucherov ain't gonna come cheap. Not to mention Stralman and Coburn being up for new deals too. It's not like their play will likely drop off dramatically by then and it would probably be wise for us to extend them both to something like 2 year deals. They'll probably be bottom pairing defenseman by then but they'd be fantastic depth for that job.

By then Cal Foote should be ready for the NHL and he will play his 2 years and be ready for a full time role once those contracts come off the books.

I don't see how we can bring Coburn back, if we're truly developing D talent. That money, to me, looks like it's going straight to Kucherov.

Reactions: Callum

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
If leading the QMJHL in scoring and winning the league MVP trophy is nowhere… wish we had more players from nowhere.
I get what your saying. Not mvps, but we've taken a number of guys over the years that have dominated Juniors or college. For every Tyler Johnson, we've missed on guys like Danick Gauthier ( 2nd in goals (47) in the QMJHL - 3 behind 1st & 10 more than Yanni that year), P-M Devos ( 93 points in the Q, 3 behind the leader) and others who only turned out to be ECHLers. Luckily we've got terrific scouts, and we're pretty good at developing players, and we've had good success here.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I'll point out - chasing money does not make someone "not a good kid", and I (once again) will never go after a player for chasing a paycheck. I am more than happy to criticize that player if they don't live up to that contract, though.
If anything it's dumb for relatively fringe guys like JAM and Gourde to pass up better offers. They don't know how long they will be in the league so they need to make what they can while they're in it. I'd feel bad if he took some sort of discount to stay here and then got bumped off by a rookie.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa

I'd venture a bet and say that we lock him up for 8 years. He'll probably match either Hedman or Stamkos (more than likely Stamkos') salary. I'm also 99.999999% sure everyone on this site would agree, that's a great deal. :laugh:

Realistically though we'll probably be pulling up quite a few of our AHL players over the next few seasons to "accommodate" the cap. Over half our cap will be tied up in less than 5 guys.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Realistically though we'll probably be pulling up quite a few of our AHL players over the next few seasons to "accommodate" the cap. Over half our cap will be tied up in less than 5 guys.

Well that's not awful if the 5 players are good players. If they all the sudden suck or are injured alot you are screwed. Then you have teams like the pens and Hawks who have a few guys taking up majority of cap. They just have great players. Hopefully we run into that sort of deal.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
Well that's not awful if the 5 players are good players. If they all the sudden suck or are injured alot you are screwed. Then you have teams like the pens and Hawks who have a few guys taking up majority of cap. They just have great players. Hopefully we run into that sort of *problem*.

FTFY ;)

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Gourde being able to play center is such a huge bonus, the guy has been the iteration of everything we've wanted in a depth player.

Expected point totals was 30-40 through a season, he's already at 30 half way. This guy has playoff hero written all over him.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
19 goals and 38 points in 53 games in his rookie season. On pace for 29 goals and 59 points for a full 82-game season. 5 goals and 8 points in his last 7 games. The kid is on fire!

Coburn and Condra

May 13, 2016
Iowa
It's a very JAM-like emergence in that it's a bit unexpected. Couldn't be happier for the guy. I know there were some skeptics (myself included) when he was called up last year, but all he's done is shatter expectation after expectation.

As someone else already said, Yanni B. Goode!

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Lots of teams have AHL stars, it's crazy how many of ours have become impact players the past 5 years. Everybody wants to call up their AHL superstars but they usually don't pan out and get sent back down.

We've called up Killorn, Johnson, Palat, Conacher and Panik in 2014 who are all NHL regulars right now. Marchessault officially has back to back 50 points seasons (30 games to go), is the leading scorer on the best team in the West. Gourde is on pace for 30 goals and almost 60 points, Peca is trending to be an NHL regular as well.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Gourde being able to play center is such a huge bonus, the guy has been the iteration of everything we've wanted in a depth player.

Expected point totals was 30-40 through a season, he's already at 30 half way. This guy has playoff hero written all over him.

I'm probably gonna have to change my prediction of Killorn scoring the Cup winning goal if we win it. All this guy does is win.

Pay Gourde all the monies!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad