Player Discussion: Yanni Gourde

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Do you have some actual ties to Toronto? Because it's weird to pick a division rival as your second team.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
TBF I find the concept of "second team" a weird one anyway in a league with ~31 teams. College? Fine (unless it's like Duke and UNC or something). I can root for both my alma maters and they'll play each other once every 4 or so years so it is not a conflict.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Wait, what? Stop bandwagoning the Leafs dude. If you were a real Leafs fan then you would have mentioned that before.

Remember when my account was called DominicBoltsFan and under it was the text

"Go Bolts + Go Leafs!"

Yeah. It has said that ever since I was no longer a "Rookie User" and until I changed my username to TheLegend27.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Do you have some actual ties to Toronto? Because it's weird to pick a division rival as your second team.

No, I just like the team.

Back to Gourde (who this thread is about), I think we have a permanent bottom-6 winger on our hands.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
TBF I find the concept of "second team" a weird one anyway in a league with ~31 teams. College? Fine (unless it's like Duke and UNC or something). I can root for both my alma maters and they'll play each other once every 4 or so years so it is not a conflict.

I think it can be a location thing.

I grew up in Orlando and I'm a Lightning fan first and foremost. I moved to Arkansas about 8 years ago and picked up watching some Dallas games since it's the closest team to me. I'm not sure I'd consider them my "second team" but I have more interest in both Nashville and Dallas than I did previously.

I agree with the college thing, though. Gators fan first and always. Arkansas fan as long as they don't play each other.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I think it can be a location thing.

I grew up in Orlando and I'm a Lightning fan first and foremost. I moved to Arkansas about 8 years ago and picked up watching some Dallas games since it's the closest team to me. I'm not sure I'd consider them my "second team" but I have more interest in both Nashville and Dallas than I did previously.

I agree with the college thing, though. Gators fan first and always. Arkansas fan as long as they don't play each other.

I'm a Gator too. Not a fan of the Razorbacks though.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
1404434846356.gif

Reactions: DaBolts

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Hey TB fans, just curious on this Yanni Gourde guy as I've never heard of him but he seems to be putting up some solid points. What's the story on him? Is this just a surprise run of points or was he a solid prospect?

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Hey TB fans, just curious on this Yanni Gourde guy as I've never heard of him but he seems to be putting up some solid points. What's the story on him? Is this just a surprise run of points or was he a solid prospect?

Never thought he would be a regular NHL player but he's been absolutely awesome ever since he came up last year. He fits in very well in that line with Palat and Point. He could easily have a few more goals if he didn't have such rotten luck like hitting the post on an empty net twice on the same play.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
We originally got him for the AHL but he's been another one of those surprising late bloomers like Marchessault, not really a prospect in that sense. I don't think he will blow up or anything but he's been a nice complementary winger to plug in wherever and just puts in a strong effort no matter what.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Came out of nowhere. Insists on being in the NHL with his effort and speed.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Never thought he would be a regular NHL player but he's been absolutely awesome ever since he came up last year. He fits in very well in that line with Palat and Point. He could easily have a few more goals if he didn't have such rotten luck like hitting the post on an empty net twice on the same play.

I don't think it's was luck. He's always been an offensive anomaly. He was absolutely killing Point and Palat offensively and was only useful against the puck and on the rush. It was only recently that he surprised everybody with sudden efficiency. That came out of nowhere. Not sure if he'll be able to keep it up. We're about to find out...

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
If leading the QMJHL in scoring and winning the league MVP trophy is nowhere… wish we had more players from nowhere.
Really? Performing well in Juniors six years ago doesn't mean shit when it comes to the NHL.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Really? Performing well in Juniors six years ago doesn't mean **** when it comes to the NHL.
Unless you are a Q MVP by the name of Mantha, Drouin, Couturier, Hoffman, Radulov, Crosby, or B. Richards. It could be considered an indicator that you might have some skill.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Unless you are a Q MVP by the name of Mantha, Drouin, Couturier, Hoffman, Radulov, Crosby, or B. Richards. It could be considered an indicator that you might have some skill.
This is a completely asinine point to stand on. Was Gourde even considered one of our top 20 prospects last offseason?

Edit: Looks like we only went to 15, but he wasn't on the list.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/tampa-bay-lightning-prospect-rankings-2016-15.2124087/

So yeah, saying "he came out of no where" is pretty accurate.

Last edited:

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Gourde has been great this season and was snakebitten to start, we may only be scratching the surface.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think he'll be a guy who runs into snakebitten status throughout his career. He's great at generating chances/chaos, but is probably never going to be a guy who consistently cashes in on those. I think he'll probably score somewhere in line with Killer through his prime. Maybe 50ish points in a good year, or with primetime linemates, like he has right now.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
What Gourde makes in salary will probably dictate most how he figures into our plans. If he keeps this up he's going to be worth a lot more than the $1 million AAV he is making right now because right now he's a steal for that kind of money. To be honest I'd be fine with him playing with Point and Palat permanently considering how effective they are as a group at raising hell.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
What Gourde makes in salary will probably dictate most how he figures into our plans. If he keeps this up he's going to be worth a lot more than the $1 million AAV he is making right now because right now he's a steal for that kind of money. To be honest I'd be fine with him playing with Point and Palat permanently considering how effective they are as a group at raising hell.
It's the Bergenheim issue. He's great, but the second the price gets too high you have to let him go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad