Proposal: Yandle to ARZ

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I have a theory that I'm becoming more confident in with each week.
We've had a glut of defensemen playing better than Yandle, and everyone has been scratched at some point except Weegar and Yandle. We were playing 11F/7D at one point while Yandle was getting single digit TOI. It just doesn't make sense that they wouldn't scratch him unless there's something else going on behind the scenes. My theory is that Yandle has agreed to waive his NMC as long as Q doesn't break his iron man streak.

Yandle has a $6.35m cap hit for two more years. But he only makes $5.25m and $5.2m in actual salary. Yandle has a history in Arizona, so I'd assume that they are a team he'd waive for. Arizona is rebuilding and needs players who get them to the cap floor for minimal money.

They also only have 2 defensemen under contract heading into the expansion draft, so they have a spot to fill.

FLA would be willing to retain $2m or cough up a mid round pick for nothing in return whatsoever.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Arizona will have better/cheaper options available via UFA. Even $2 million retention over $4 million cap hit on Yandle isn’t appealing. The cap vs salary savings is only 1 million per. Can’t see them biting

also they wouldn’t have a problem hitting the cap floor so I don’t see the point personally. It’s not like it’s a Stepan contract with a substantially lower amount owed vs the cap hit

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Arizona doesn't need help reaching the floor anymore. They are at 49m with about 12 guys who need contracts. There is no reason to bring in Handle unless it's pure nostalgia.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Sure, I'd be happy to have him back, but there's not any need for him either. On the other hand if you want to give us a pick and retain hard to say no.

Reactions: kerrabria

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Arizona is pretty deep on D with Soderstrom maybe coming up. Last off season they were shopping OEL remember?

Just not sure if it is the right player to grab.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I’d be happy to have him back if FLA is willing to retain 25%.
Sure, I'd be happy to have him back, but there's not any need for him either. On the other hand if you want to give us a pick and retain hard to say no.
to ARZ: Yandle ($1.35m retained) and a 4th Round Pick
to FLA: 7th Round Pick

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I’d be happy to have him back if FLA is willing to retain 25%.
yeah I'd do 50% if I really had to but 25% is a lot more do-able. would you guys need to send any additional salary back? for us, it'd really just be about opening up the roster spot, not wanting to protect him in the expansion draft, and free up the cap space, so you guys could have him for free essentially, but I know he isn't super cheap or anything even at 25% retained

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
yeah I'd do 50% if I really had to but 25% is a lot more do-able. would you guys need to send any additional salary back? for us, it'd really just be about opening up the roster spot, not wanting to protect him in the expansion draft, and free up the cap space, so you guys could have him for free essentially, but I know he isn't super cheap or anything even at 25% retained
We don't have any bad contracts, really (OEL is arguable but he's got a NMC anyway).

rt

May 13, 2004
If it’s for nostalgia, sure, but if AZ wants a cheaper option, Butcher is very likely to be available this summer.
Him and OEL were once amazing on the PP together. It's unlikely they just pick that right back up after all these years, of course. So I guess it is largely nostalgia based, really. But at this point, I'd love to see something spark OEL's fire again. It's clear he does not like Rick Tocchet and Rick Tocchet does not like him. So I'm hopeful a new head coach (fingers crossed for Mike Van Ryn) gets OEL perked up again. Bringing back his old river boat gambler buddy, might solidify that change in OEL. That reversion.

OEL has be a really good defenseman this year. He's honestly been pretty solid the last few years. But he looks nothing like himself. He's a completely different player. He's a good one, but not a special one. He's not the guy we pinned the C on. He doesn't have that jaw-dropping element anymore. He doesn't play with that fire anymore. He's just the smooth, quiet Jay Bouwmeester type now. It's fine, but I miss our guy.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
We don't have any bad contracts, really (OEL is arguable but he's got a NMC anyway).
the fact that it's arizona so I'd like to think they'd be on his short list of teams he'd accept a trade to, and that you guys only have 2 D signed through next season (as it pertains to the expansion draft), and you guys have cap space, it seems like the ideal scenario. I hope something gets worked out in the offseason.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I'd rather throw that money at Tyson Barrie, David Savard, Adam Larsson, etc. Maybe even go big and try to land Dougie Hamilton.

I loved Yandle while he was in the desert and the Coyotes need a leadership upgrade. But that money can be much better spent. It would take an asset and retention.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'd rather throw that money at Tyson Barrie, David Savard, Adam Larsson, etc. Maybe even go big and try to land Dougie Hamilton.

I loved Yandle while he was in the desert and the Coyotes need a leadership upgrade. But that money can be much better spent. It would take an asset and retention.
I think we gotta do both.

Hamilton would be great. But seems like a long shot. If he makes it to market, he’ll be the top target for most teams.

I really like Tyson Barrie. I’ve always liked Tyson Barrie. I liked him when it was cool to shit on him. But I don’t think he’s a good fit with either OEL or Chychrun. That rules him out for me.

Adam Larsson, on the other hand, would be a fantastic compliment to either Chychrun or OEL. I hope he’s high on our list.

We ought to be able to fit Yandle with 25% retained and Adam Larsson, though. I’d like to add Tucker Poolman, too. With Soderstrom having a chance and the couple of Russians, we’d probably be okay. Thet e

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

What prospect needs do you have? I was thinking a second plus a B prospect for Yandle at full?

He’s a serviceable player that’s become our whipping boy; on flip side, the game streak could sell tickets

rt

May 13, 2004
What prospect needs do you have? I was thinking a second plus a B prospect for Yandle at full?

He’s a serviceable player that’s become our whipping boy; on flip side, the game streak could sell tickets
I’m a HUGE Emil Heineman fan. Had him in the 1st round of the last draft. But that ship has sailed LOL.

My head says we should angle for Ty Smilanic as I like his upside and we need center prospects. My heart says get John Ludvig. We need to change the culture of this team. Ludvig plays how I wish our team would. I wish we had 10 guys like that.

I’d prefer either to your 2nd.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I’d be very, very tempted by Yandle, Smilanic, and Ludvig for Tyler Steenbergen and Dysin Mayo. I’m sure many Coyotes fans would NOT be tempted by that. I definitely would.
That’s probably a piece we couldn’t pay: Smil and Ludvig aren’t necessarily players that are intouchable but they’re looking excellent. I’d value Smil at a high second and Ludvig at a middle 2nd :)

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yandle (25% retained) + Gildon for Christian Fischer? Fischer offsets some of the cash owed to Yandle next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad