Yakupov still can be NHL star?

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by Bear12Good, Oct 12, 2017.

1. danmcn12

danmcn12 #freeRedmond

Depends what you mean by star. "Star" as in... like matt duchene to keep it with the avs, why not. Playing great, obviously talented and only 24. Star like Patrick Kane no way.

2. matthole

matthole Registered User

Potential All-Star, not Potential Superstar.

I think he could crack 50 this year but who knows. I know its really, really early but I made a thread before the season on "Dark Horse" Hart candidates(I did so without adding an of my Top 50 Players), I put him on it on the very rare case he leads the Avs in scoring(Succeeds in Avs system and redeems himself) and helps them to the Playoffs in doing so(Off of a historically bad Season, and taking majority of credit with doing so), that being said I added him for two more reasons one of them was due to his past potential and the other I wanted to get some flack with a funny choice(Kindof a joke). that being said even now I think hes got a 0%(even after his current success) Chance at winning it but I am absolutely in utter disbelief how well he is currently showing and if the NHL where to emediatly halt today he'd be in my Top 5 in Hart cadidates(though that will steadly fall through the season to like 60-70'ish).

In my opinion I think he could continue to be a consistent 40-50pt guy in an Avs Uniform(but consistency is key) but his ceiling this season is around 75pts for me, so I think he at the moment is a star.

3. SC2GM

SC2GM Registered User

The point is nothing has changed. Yak playing on the same team as MacKinnon just allows for more people to see the hypocrisy among the fans. Yakupov is the same player he was while being unanimously touted as one of the biggest busts of all-time. Yet, there is a good chance he puts up very comparable numbers to MacKinnon -- who people love to treat as one of the most valuable players in the league and a future super star.

More playing time = more points. Better quality of line mates = more points. This goes for anyone. Yet, at the end of the year, when your team is the worst in the league, chances are, every other team had better first line players. If you're being praised or treated as a god, while your team is breaking records for being bad, and you're on the cusp of having one of the worst shooting percentages of all time (MacKinnon), then you're not THAT good -- regardless of what others think.

Anyone can be a star on the worst team in the league. But, in the grand scheme of things? No. Yakupov plays like he has Parkinson's. All he does is shake and fidget out there. It's like he has a never ending panic attack. If he were to ever take drugs or w/e is needed to play normally, then... maybe he could be a good second liner on a good team.

4. Psyfer

Psyfer Thrashers forever

[​IMG]

Yasuo and Lana Del Rey like this.
  5. the edler

the edler Valeri Bure fan

I'm not a Yakupov fan but you have to give him credit for not giving up. At least he's better than Pääjärvi, if that's comfort enough.

6. MendelMu

MendelMu Registered User

There probably nota player I liked to see succeed more than Yak but how many hot starts have we seen thru the years and how many of them actually establish themselves on a level near that.

Right coaching might make Yak into a sniper who does not have negative impact on his line. Colorado is good place in the sense it might give him room on 1st or 2nd line.

Lets revisit in 25 games.

7. heynowbababooey

heynowbababooey Registered User

The only way Yak will be a star in the NHL is if he's traded to or signs to Dallas.

8. BruinDust

BruinDust Registered User

Yes, because I'm sure Ken Hitchcock would just love Yakupov. (Sarcasm)

9. DominicBoltsFan

DominicBoltsFan Mikhail Sergachev Sponsor

High school student
    Idk about star but he appears to be shaking off his bust status

10. ort

ort Registered User

I would take Paajarvi over Yakupov any day of the week and twice on Tuesday. Without a seconds hesitation.

11. Boxscore

Boxscore Registered User

A star? No way. A good, productive player, yes.

12. 2 Minute Minor

2 Minute Minor Hi Keeba!

Is he?

One guy stuck with the Blues and is playing regular minutes right now and one guy isn't. One guy had a series clinching goal a couple months ago, and the other couldn't prove he would not be a liability in the line-up and watched from the bench.

I'm much happier with Paajarvi. He's rebuilt his game into a guy that can play in the bottom 6 effectively and slide up when necessary. I would not trade Paajarvi for Yakupov straight across on the same contract. And neither guy is a top 6 guy you can build a line around.

I'm happy for Yakupov, and hope he keeps it going in Colorado. I'm very skeptical. But it is nice to see the Colorado players playing with some passion and energy, rather than looking like they're returning from a funeral parlor after every game.

DaveG likes this.