Yakupov still can be NHL star?

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I was happy when Yakupov ended up on the Avalanche (not a MacKinnon fan). I figured it was risky on the Avs part, because people would realize that MacKinnon isn't any better than Yakupov when it comes to results -- he simply had a bigger role and more ice time. I figured the lowering of Mackinnon's value was slightly more likely than Yakupov being viewed how MacKinnon was.

As someone who watched him play every game last year, no. He's a spaz who, somehow, by the graces of god, spazzes his way into some goals here and there. Anyone who celebrates THAT much after scoring is someone with little confidence. When you're planning on scoring a lot or routinely do it... scoring is just another day. Ho hum. When that kid acts like he has scored before, then I'll start to wonder if something changed. Until then, no way.

Yeah, we should judge his overall play by how he celebrates when he scores. Backchecking, getting into the right areas defensively as well as working hard should all be damned!!! He really should maybe just do a fist pump and just put his stick in the air when he scores because if he goes overboard with his celebration...what a bad hockey player. :rolleyes:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I doubt he could be a star but he could turn into a 50 point second line winger perhaps.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I was happy when Yakupov ended up on the Avalanche (not a MacKinnon fan). I figured it was risky on the Avs part, because people would realize that MacKinnon isn't any better than Yakupov when it comes to results -- he simply had a bigger role and more ice time. I figured the lowering of Mackinnon's value was slightly more likely than Yakupov being viewed how MacKinnon was.

As someone who watched him play every game last year, no. He's a spaz who, somehow, by the graces of god, spazzes his way into some goals here and there. Anyone who celebrates THAT much after scoring is someone with little confidence. When you're planning on scoring a lot or routinely do it... scoring is just another day. Ho hum. When that kid acts like he has scored before, then I'll start to wonder if something changed. Until then, no way.

You thought that if Yakupov came to Colorado and did well, it’d decrease MacKinnon’s value? That’s a pretty odd connection to make.

I can't think of a single true goal scorer known for over the top celebrations. Not one. Not even a Russian. Hm.

A. If he gets results, who cares how he celebrates. B. Nobody is calling him Laine or Ovechkin. He’s got. A pretty good shot. It’s going to result in some goals. If he can get 15-20, then both he and the Avs can consider the signing a success.

Ken Wreggets revenge

Sep 28, 2017
I would like to see Yakupov live up to his potential, hopefully not in Colorado as I feel like management there would take all the credit for it. The Avs handling of the Duchene is bush league to put it lightly and I hope the end result of the saga has Sakic losing his job. That's not how you treat players. Duchene would have already been gone if Sakic wasn't so damn insecure and concerned with his own image.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Loved Yakupov's assist on Duchene's goal too. Maybe the Avalanche truly committed to him and, just that little bit of faith from somebody else, has given him the confidence to play to his potential. Somebody finally believes in Yakupov, and for him, a Russian kid who came crashing into an unknown universe known as North America and, in his case, being the talk of the town in a red hot Canadian market and eventually criticized by absolutely everybody, maybe that little bit of belief was all he needed. He is getting PP time with the Avs and he is on a line with Duchene, maybe all he needed was a real shot.

Maybe the Avs should acquire Galchenyuk next

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Anything is possible, it's not like the talent level isn't there. Although it's going to be tough to live up to that first overall expectation.

I admit I was skeptical, thought Yak would be another Grigo situation, who also is very talented but couldn't put it together. I didn't hate Grigo, he had his moments where you saw why he was a high pick but just could never find the right spot and role. Yak seems to fit this team perfectly. His spirit is what they needed. He works well with Duchene, who always needs a winger who can shoot the puck. I've been pleased with his work ethic and his hockey sense has been wildly undersold. We were told to expect a guy dumber than rocks who can't pass the puck and he's has multiple assists including preseason where he made some gorgeous plays.

It's been a fun few games and I know it's a long season with adversity to come but I'm happy to have Yak and to see where it goes.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He's always had the ability to be at least a solid top 6 for a long time. "Star" status can be a fickle title, and can be very dependent on team and usage. He could be a star player on the avs, no reason why not, he's found great linemates and a longer leash than he would've been given anywhere else.

Duchene will eventually be gone though, and I hope he can keep the mojo going with someone else.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I don't think he will ever be a star player. I like what he's doing in Colorado though. He looks like he is finding his groove.

Mar 6, 2012
After watching him all season on the Blues, I can tell you that Yakupov will never be a star player in the NHL. I don't think he'll be in this league in 2 years.

He just doesn't have it. It's never going to happen. He started off last year looking pretty good as well. It cooled off very quickly.

I've seen absolutely nothing in his game that makes me think he's going to turn it around.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s like oppo-Grigs. A bundle of speed and energy who can rip it. We will see if he can keep up the intelligent play and how he and the staff deal with enevitable slumps and ups and downs of a season.

The Kerfoot-Duchene-Yak line is a legit scoring line in terms of pure talent (Kerfoot is the real deal...the Butcher for Kerfoot “swap” is working nicely for both teams even if it’s only the Avs who get piled on by hysterical critics for not signing a prospect) but it features a rookie, a guy who is still probably mentally one foot out the door even if he is playing well and a third not known for his mental fortitude and consistency over the course of the season.

If that lines continues to produce, the Avs forward core isn’t half bad. MacK and Rantanen haven’t even heated up yet while Landeskog-Compher (and now Jost) is quickly turning into the go-to heavy lifting line. Better than last year by miles.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
He can still be a very good contributor, and anything is possible up to stardom. I believe he was mishandled earlier in his career, and his previous teams should not have been so quick to let him go.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I have to point to a few things.

Was PPG playing 12 games with McDavid (and no.. not everyone could do it).

20 points in 28 games with Derek Roy.

17 goals lead rookies in scoring when Hall/Hopkins were his linemates.

He can't drive a line, but he's proven he can produce when given the right linemates.

Im very happy for him and hope he keeps it up.

Reactions: Weast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad