Yakupov still can be NHL star?

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
I think we're all pulling for the guy to have a big turn-around and be a valuable NHL player, but "star" is getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I know I'm pulling for the little guy. I hope the Avs hit it big time with the guy. He's made that whole line look very good. Duchene doesn't look miserable. It's very nice to see.

Reactions: bigbabybuda

JustinW

Dec 14, 2006
I think he has the potential to be an everyday NHL'er. Not sure if he will be a superstar, but he could be a Michael Ryder type hockey player.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Isn't there already a thread on Yakupov discussing the same thing?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's early yet, but he looks pretty damn good for us this year. Fast, motivated, and actually a really good passer which was the last thing I expected. He clearly won't have 60 goals this year but he's been the brightest spot in a promising early season in Denver.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
He's exactly the type of player that can succeed on a weaker team, playing in offensive situations, with skilled players and not getting benched for mistakes. He's got enough talent to produce. We saw this at the start with the Oilers, and now are seeing it with the Avs. He thrives on confidence just like any other offensive player and if he's not being put in situations to gain confidence, he's useless. Also as the added benefit of being on a team that sometimes gets overlooked, he can burn you for sloppy plays.

However he's also the type of player who is going to hurt your team in bigger games against good teams. I just can't imagine Yakupov playing a top 6 role for a team that wins couple of rounds in the playoffs. There's a reason coaches have put him in the dog house.

I think i mentioned in the summer that Yakupov can work out in Colorado, so his start isn't surprising to say the least.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He's exactly the type of player that can succeed on a weaker team, playing in offensive situations, with skilled players and not getting benched for mistakes. He's got enough talent to produce. We saw this at the start with the Oilers, and now are seeing it with the Avs. He thrives on confidence just like any other offensive player and if he's not being put in situations to gain confidence, he's useless. Also as the added benefit of being on a team that sometimes gets overlooked, he can burn you for sloppy plays.

However he's also the type of player who is going to hurt your team in bigger games against good teams. I just can't imagine Yakupov playing a top 6 role for a team that wins couple of rounds in the playoffs. There's a reason coaches have put him in the dog house.

I think i mentioned in the summer that Yakupov can work out in Colorado, so his start isn't surprising to say the least.
remember this post. come back in a month or two.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Could prove to be a serviceable player; 70 something more games of his current level of play, or something close would cement that.

And besides; I hear he's a real good human being.........;)

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
I was happy when Yakupov ended up on the Avalanche (not a MacKinnon fan). I figured it was risky on the Avs part, because people would realize that MacKinnon isn't any better than Yakupov when it comes to results -- he simply had a bigger role and more ice time. I figured the lowering of Mackinnon's value was slightly more likely than Yakupov being viewed how MacKinnon was.

As someone who watched him play every game last year, no. He's a spaz who, somehow, by the graces of god, spazzes his way into some goals here and there. Anyone who celebrates THAT much after scoring is someone with little confidence. When you're planning on scoring a lot or routinely do it... scoring is just another day. Ho hum. When that kid acts like he has scored before, then I'll start to wonder if something changed. Until then, no way.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sure he can. He is 24 years old. You might think he is old to be a star. But look to Sedins.
They had under-performing till 26.

Wouldn't call what the Sedins did under-performing. They were both top 6ers by 23. Hitting elite status by 26 maybe. They far from under-performing until 26. Very far from it actually.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Wouldn't call what the Sedins did under-performing. They were both top 6ers by 23. Hitting elite status by 26 maybe. They far from under-performing until 26. Very far from it actually.

The Sedins were pretty underwhelming at 24.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
I think it's a little premature to bring this up.

He's off to a good start, for sure, but I don't see him being more than a 20-goal guy at best. I'm sure he can be an asset and an everyday player for the majority of his career, but I think that living up to being the #1 overall pick has sailed.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
It would be a great story for a guy who was essentially cast away from St. Louis, not even being tendered a qualifying offer to become a UFA, to being a good player.

Now, let's not say "star" yet. One of his three goals happened when Tuuka Rask decided to play forward rather than goalie and another was an empty net goal "awarded" that didn't even cross the goalline.

That was a decent one timer goal that he had last night, but for me he still looks very rough around the edges.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
It would be a great story for a guy who was essentially cast away from St. Louis, not even being tendered a qualifying offer to become a UFA, to being a good player.

Now, let's not say "star" yet. One of his three goals happened when Tuuka Rask decided to play forward rather than goalie and another was an empty net goal "awarded" that didn't even cross the goalline.

That was a decent one timer goal that he had last night, but for me he still looks very rough around the edges.

agreed but he was also robbed of a goal on a 15 second toronto review. the important thing is he is doing things right and generating chances.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
agreed but he was also robbed of a goal on a 15 second toronto review. the important thing is he is doing things right and generating chances.

He’s had a couple of good assists too, and his best feed Duchene couldn’t quite manage to bury.

He’s been a surprisingly good player so far, but things are also going surprisingly well for the Avs right now. I’m not expecting he’ll have anything close to “star” numbers by the time the season ends. But if he keeps making smart plays in the offensive zone and minimizes the defensive zone blunders, he’ll carve out a permanent spot in the NHL as a complementary top 6 guy. I’ve got my fingers crossed that this hot start isn’t a total illusion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad