Yaks on Sleds Charity Game: April 24th, 2016

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Donation site & Information about the organization, the event, and Michigan Youth Sled Hockey:

https://sites.google.com/site/yaksgiveback/yaks-on-sleds

https://sites.google.com/site/yaksgiveback/yaks-on-sleds/tom-sweeney

Pertinent info on the event
Where: Ann Arbor Ice Cube, 2121 Oak Valley Dr, Ann Arbor, MI 48103
When: April 24th 1:00-5:30PM
Cause: Michigan Youth Sled Hockey

All,

It is time for the annual charity hockey game that is run by my old team up in Ann Arbor again. This time, the cause is Michigan Youth Sled Hockey. It is a cool organization that tells you exactly what it's purpose is. Provide an avenue for kids who would otherwise be unable to play hockey due to physical disabilities to play the sport we all love so much.

There are two games, a low and a high game, with an exhibition against a sled hockey team sponsored by Michigan Youth Sled Hockey for us. The low game is at 1:00 PM followed by the exhibition and then the high game. All told, the event will likely end around 5:30 PM.

There will be a solid selection of items available for silent auction as well. In previous years, we have had things donated by each of the local professional sports teams, several large businesses in the area, and several pieces of high quality equipment. For more of a breakdown of what is going on, check the link up at the top of this post.

For on-ice video, I (as one of the goalies) will be wearing a Go-Pro and videotaping the game and so will my brother-in-law who will likely be playing defense. I had a little snafu with it last year to where it didn't tape anything, but I've got several games under my belt now with it on my helmet. It should be quite entertaining to see. I'll also plan on wearing it for the sled hockey.

To sum up this post, I would really like to ask for your help in raising money for this. Sled hockey is really awesome and if it can get kids who otherwise couldn't play hockey to get out there on the ice, it's definitely worthwhile. If you are in the Ann Arbor area, we would love for you to come out and support us. If not, if you can donate anything at all, we would be super appreciative.

Any questions about the event, please do not hesitate to ask them here or PM me.

E: In case you were wondering why the site has my name on it... we are keeping track of donations by individuals and allowing the highest earners to play in the sled hockey exhibition. There is no monetary incentive or anything like that for it going through my donation site, just the satisfaction of raising money for the sled hockey and to be able to play against the kids myself.

E#2: I have added a direct link to information about the event as well.

Last edited:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
This is really cool. Does this forum allow this for all hockey-related charity things? It should. Good luck!

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
This is phenomenal, my sister played out of the cube for around 10 years until she was in a car accident that ended her playing days 2 1/2 years ago and is eventually going to end up with a below the knee amputation. I will share the event with her, im sure she will be very interisted in supporting the cause. Thank you for sharing, sled hockey is awesome!

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I figure it's okay on the Wings one cause I cleared it through Bench the last couple years

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This is really cool. Does this forum allow this for all hockey-related charity things? It should. Good luck!

It does long as you ask! What's the point of cultivating a community if we can't come together time to time, eh? :nod:

I figure it's okay on the Wings one cause I cleared it through Bench the last couple years

I greatly enjoyed hearing about the events in the past. Really my only regret is I'm not local to duel you in net!

Seriously though folks this is a good cause and hats off to tsweeney for taking the time to participate and keep us aprized. The charity, sled hockey, is so cool. Watching the US team battle Canada was actually one of my favorite sporting events in some time. Intense play, all passion. Happy to see an organization helping more get involved.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I just wanted to keep this post close to front and center. The event is now under a week away and while some of the people have already collected around $1500, which is awesome, I was hoping we could do more.

Attendance at the event would also be appreciated. Something I'd think would be kind of interesting to see if we could do is a game day type topic. Would probably have to be based off of my go pro video or something, but I would love an opportunity to have aar000n complain about how I give up softies all the time and how my team has no heart or passion.

E: Wow... This was pretty indecipherable as originally posted. That's what I get for posting in the aftermath of an end of tax season party.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I just wanted to keep this post close to front and center. The event is now under a week away and while some of the people have already collected around $1500, which is awesome, I was hoping we could do more.

Attendance at the event would also be appreciated. Something I'd really actually be kind of interesting to see if we could do it is a game day type topic. Would probably have to be based off of my go pro video or something, but I would love an opportunity to have aar000n complain about how I give up softies all the time and how my team has no heart or passion.

More likely to be about the ref...:laugh:

Come on tsweeney you clearly have the backing of a Mrazek and not Howard. Don't do that to yourself.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
We never should have given tsweeney that big extension. Goalies are interchangeable parts, m i rite? Maybe a board looking to get to the cap floor will take him off our hands? I'll go see what Arizona posters have to say.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Not trying to pressure anyone, but I just received an email from the board about this and they wanted to cut off the online donations by the end of the day on Wednesday. I am certain that we can work out something if you want to support the organization after that point, but for this event in particular if you wanted to help out, now is the time. Follow the link in my first post and click the donate button.

You may also show up at the door and partake in watching some truly terrible hockey and then a bunch of grown men and women get demolished by kids on sleds.

One more way to help out, we are making t-shirts to commemorate the game and selling them via booster.com.

http://www.booster.com and search for Yaks.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Please guys, if you are going to donate via the web, use my link today! They are cutting off donations via the website and donations tracker by the end of the day today. If you are interested in any way in the shirts from post #8 those can be bought all the way up until Sunday and will be shipped out within a week after the game.

If you are interested in attending, the event is at the ice cube on Sunday starting at 1PM. You can also donate there or partake in the silent auction for all kinds of cool items with 100% of the proceeds going to Michigan Youth Sled Hockey.

Please take a second to donate today if you have any interest in helping out

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
This is the type of goaltending you can expect when you leave it to me.

Also, I am guaranteed a spot in the sled hockey exhibition. Thank you for any donations provided for on here. Donations are still open and the shirts are still up for sale on booster. This event is gonna be awesome, I think.

When I get home tonight, I'll put up a more positive hockey play out of me.... which will actually be quite appropriate. It'll be like watching the Wings.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Oh man, that video! You were just baiting them to shoot, don't worry, I know.

The shirts look cool, guys!

PO7318325-frontD.png

PO7318325-front.png

tamtamg

Aug 29, 2008
Looking forward to this! I'm driving in from Chicago to participate in both the sled hockey game and the Yaks v Yaks Game. Hope you're still not having nightmares of the top shelf snipe from last year's game tsweeney!

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Looking forward to this! I'm driving in from Chicago to participate in both the sled hockey game and the Yaks v Yaks Game. Hope you're still not having nightmares of the top shelf snipe from last year's game tsweeney!

You guys aren't even ready for me. I was a drooling armless child in last years game compared to what I can do now.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I think one the guys that used to play on my beer league team in Florida played in that. His name is Matt Shinsky.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
This Canadian to US dollar really hurts me lol. Have a good time

That makes it even more awesome. Thanks a ton!

I am currently uploading the go-pro video to my computer. It will get onto Youtube in the next couple days. Gotta edit it.

I wish I'd have looked at how it was set up. I had the camera too far up my helmet so it's pointed down and gives worse video than I'd like for the first game.

The sled hockey video is awesome though. I got to see it on my mom's wireless controller.

Probably on Wednesday, I'll give a whole breakdown of the game and the event. I was running on about three hours of sleep each of the last two nights, so I haven't really had a chance to digest it yet.

It was easily one of the coolest experiences of my life though. Best charity game of any we have done.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
:shakehead

I only got about 8 minutes of video from the first game. The camera died on my head. I had hoped it was more.

I have a wide angle view that my family took, but it's not up close in the action and I have yet to see that one.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Financials are in!

We raised over $8,000 for Michigan Youth Sled Hockey through the player fees, silent auction, chuck-a-puck, t-shirts, and online donations.

What an unreal success for a bunch of beer leaguers.

Plus... I have the sled game up on my Youtube channel.

Yaks on Sleds

I will be posting more videos up to it as well, but those will just be games, not the charity one.

I wore it for the main game, but I made a bunch of mistakes in preparation and only got about 7:30 of video and it's not very good cause I had the camera set too far forward on my helmet so it's like I'm looking down the whole time.

I'm really really disappointed because I had one series of saves to keep the game 2-1 that felt great when I did it. I'd have loved to see how disappointing it was in video.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad