X-SHARKIES 2004 entry draft Mock draft: March

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

Correct, the Panthers might be scared away a bit...but he's an elite talent. I think they may take the chance on him. Tukonen wont fall that far. Green could be a great pick up for the Panthers as well.

I'm glad to see somone agree with me on the Picard pick. I never thought of it, but he does remind me quite a bit of Satan now that you say it. Picard has a powerfull skating stride, he's always working out there, he just has that goal scorers attitude... He has a wicked shot at times much like Miro.
I also think he has a better mental make up. Satan takes shifts off and when he's not scoring he's not effective. Picard works hard, and plays very well in the corners...both refuse to use there size away from the puck though :(

Ovechkin would likely play Center in Pittsburg. Although Kraft is coming along nicely, and he's very creative, Kraft inability to win a timely faceoff well likely get him moved. I see Ovechkin being a Center. Although early in his career he may play RW...so he can learn the NHL game, before being thrown to the wolves and expecting him to pick up that much defensive coverage vs playres like Modano ect. He has the tools to be the franchise center though so I think thats where he'll end up down the road.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Uh, I have to disagree. Kraft's improved his faceoffs a lot this season, and has won key faceoffs recently, becoming the top faceoff center on the PP.

If the Pens get Ovechkin, he'll probably play Right Wing. I mean, our best RW is really Kostopoulos at this point, who while he has played good this year, isn't really a first or second line player.

Other than that, good read. Who do you think could be the first few picks in the second round? Could the Pens take Nokelainen with their second pick? I like him a lot...By the way, what forward position is he?

Thanks..

X-SHARKIE

MrKnowNothing said:
Uh, I have to disagree. Kraft's improved his faceoffs a lot this season, and has won key faceoffs recently, becoming the top faceoff center on the PP.

If the Pens get Ovechkin, he'll probably play Right Wing. I mean, our best RW is really Kostopoulos at this point, who while he has played good this year, isn't really a first or second line player.

Other than that, good read. Who do you think could be the first few picks in the second round? Could the Pens take Nokelainen with their second pick? I like him a lot...By the way, what forward position is he?

Thanks..

Good point, I dont see the Penguins much lately. So it's good to hear about Krafts faceoff abillities improving. I did see them beat the Stars 4-0 though :) and the Sharks beat them 4-1 :) ...Ok back to the 2nd round here.
Last year I loved how the Penguins kept drafting players with attitudes to match there skill. I love Ryan Stone and the others. Great draft I thought.
This year they need to focus on the skill players, the difference makers. Nokelainen well be there for there 2nd round pick, I dont see them using it on him. THers players with higher upside and mabey even better track records them him. Although I have to admit, Petteri is a pretty safe pick. He really excels at the physical part of the game. Solid set of hands, coming off an leg injurey, how has his skating come along? He has a decent shot. But I just love how He makes life hell for oppositions far as I can see. Impressing at thew WJC's really helped him out as well. His skill level is not on par with some of the others, but if the Penguins are still looking for players who well give it here all, and well be great team players, Petteri Nokelainen would fit wonderfully.
I'm going all by ear on this one, but Travis Zajac could get the Penguins thinking about him with there 2nd round pick, I hope the Penguins avoid Pineault.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I like the safe pick of Nokelainen. Plus, I think from how he sounds that Olcyzk will maybe weigh in here a little bit. Maybe they go safe and take Nokelainen, I really hope so. Although last year I was hoping for Glazachev and didn't know who Stone was. But I liked the pick of Stone a lot, so I'll leave it to the pros.

Anyways, thanks. Kraft has been coming on a lot of late. I really think Olzyzk is key to his success. He has been rather hard on Kraft and has really made him work hard for minutes. As a result Kraft has improved his defensive play and is now getting to play in bigger situations. Our current top PP is Morozov, Malone, and Kraft with the obvious defenseman at the points..........Don't want to hijack the thread, though.

Do you or anyone else have any plans to carry a mock into the second round or so? Maybe as we get closer to the draft?

I do enjoy reading these, one of the things I liked a lot back before I joined. Especially ones that have analysis. Keep up the good work!

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I seen Ovechkin at Sydney a year and a bit ago and he played on the left wing.....he dominated from that side. Maybe its just me but I thought I heard peopl saying he played rw at this WJC and didn't fair so well. I know his linemates were worse this year but still there may be a point to that.

X-SHARKIE

JasonMacIsaac said:
I seen Ovechkin at Sydney a year and a bit ago and he played on the left wing.....he dominated from that side. Maybe its just me but I thought I heard peopl saying he played rw at this WJC and didn't fair so well. I know his linemates were worse this year but still there may be a point to that.

I agree Jason.... Even Dynamo doesn't seem to know where to put Alex. I have seen him play all three positions and play them well, this is a great thing, he's very versitale. It really well come down to what system,what team, and how his game devolopes.
Sounds like he would be a wing in Pittsburgh. But #1 line centers are not easy to come by these days, and Ovechkin fits that hole well. He offensivly would be most effective on the Left or Right Wing IMO.
Anyway you slice it, having this problem with Ovechkin is actually a godsend and a problem every GM/Coach would love to have. A player who can play all 3 forward positions very well would be a hot comodity even if your name wasn't Alexander Ovechkin.

thestonedkoala

X-Sharkie: So you're telling me a guy that beat out Deslauries, Ward, and another goalie to back up Canada in the WJC, doesn't have the stud potential?

Kopriva is a total mystery too and from what I heard, he's played decently in the Czech.

Kettles has progressed well from the minors and has worked his butt off to the AHL.

Brust is a mystery, it'll be hard to peg him but he got more time with the Traverse Prospect Tourney group last year and played extremely well.

For the time being, the Wild have bigger holes to plug than a goaltender. I can see them getting a goaltender in 05-06 when they know where their goaltenders are going, and what they have, along with maybe a goaltender in the later rounds but the Wild need two things more:

1) A capable number 1 defenseman.

2) A proven scorer that can translate over to the NHL.

Wild Bill

Jul 6, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
Harding, Brust, Kettles, Korpiva and to a less extent Holmqvist and Cloutier...

Why again does Minnesota need a goalie? They'll take O'Neill or if he's not avaliable Green...and if's not avaliable Vobriak...
Took the words right outta my mouth...can't see O'Neill slipping past the Wild. He seems to fit the bill perfectly.

Our goalie situation seems "safe" at this point, but is still not there. Taking a goalie wouldn't be the end of the world, but the glaring need for decent d-man prospect probably overrides any other justification.

DR. Holiday

thestonedkoala said:
X-Sharkie: So you're telling me a guy that beat out Deslauries, Ward, and another goalie to back up Canada in the WJC, doesn't have the stud potential?

Kopriva is a total mystery too and from what I heard, he's played decently in the Czech.

Kettles has progressed well from the minors and has worked his butt off to the AHL.

Brust is a mystery, it'll be hard to peg him but he got more time with the Traverse Prospect Tourney group last year and played extremely well.

For the time being, the Wild have bigger holes to plug than a goaltender. I can see them getting a goaltender in 05-06 when they know where their goaltenders are going, and what they have, along with maybe a goaltender in the later rounds but the Wild need two things more:

1) A capable number 1 defenseman.

2) A proven scorer that can translate over to the NHL.

I wouldn't get too stressed about his "opinon" about Harding. Your better off asking people who have actually been at the rink when he has played some games. He has number 1 NHL tender written all over him.

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
Once again, though Ovechkin has played C in the RSL, he projects as a winger in the NHL. If drafted by Pittsburgh, Columbus, or Washington, I'd bet he'll play on the right side, but that's anything but a sure thing. Having two lines anchored on the left by, say, Nash and Ovechkin would be far from the worst thing.
~Crazed.

X-SHARKIE

DR. Holiday said:
I wouldn't get too stressed about his "opinon" about Harding. Your better off asking people who have actually been at the rink when he has played some games. He has number 1 NHL tender written all over him.

I'm not saying Josh Harding is a slouch ....so don't get me wrong here people.
I just think you guys need to take another long look at Schwarz....Wild fans then tell me what you think of that pick.
Don't worry Wild fans, I'm not disrespecting your goaltenders, I didnt think the Avs would need a goalie, but I thought they would take the best player available.
So everybody lets calm down...I'm not in charge of your draft table, so dont get all crazy on me here. I like Wes O'Neil, but his offensive game has improved 0% since last year in Green Bay.
I've seen both Schwarz and Harding enough times, to be confident when I say Schwarz well be a better goaltender of the two. I still think Josh Harding is the only NHL capable goaltender in the Wilds devolopment system. TO bash me for saying I dont like Harding is totally off base.
Dig into one of my posts, I think Harding is underated, and I even made a post declaring so, Stoney liked it and gave me a AIM and ever since we now talk alot.
Harding is a very mechanically sound goalie,with supburb reflexes and is a very smart goalie. I'm not bad mouthing Harding here.
I think Schwarz is to good to past the #10 slot.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

The problem is X-Sharkie is that players do slip out of position, look at Parise last year! The Wild simply don't need a goaltender for the time being. We also have to decide what the hell to do with Holmqvist and Fernandez once Harding is ready to come up to the big leagues.

Oh and who cares if O'Neill's offense hasn't progressed! The problem for the Wild is the need to have a stable number 1 or 2 defenseman to eat up time with good size and good player. We need guys that play the body and throw checks and eat up time and are big.

Wild Bill

Jul 6, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
I'm not saying Josh Harding is a slouch ....so don't get me wrong here people.
I just think you guys need to take another long look at Schwarz....Wild fans then tell me what you think of that pick.
Don't worry Wild fans, I'm not disrespecting your goaltenders, I didnt think the Avs would need a goalie, but I thought they would take the best player available.
So everybody lets calm down...I'm not in charge of your draft table, so dont get all crazy on me here. I like Wes O'Neil, but his offensive game has improved 0% since last year in Green Bay.
I've seen both Schwarz and Harding enough times, to be confident when I say Schwarz well be a better goaltender of the two. I still think Josh Harding is the only NHL capable goaltender in the Wilds devolopment system. TO bash me for saying I dont like Harding is totally off base.
Dig into one of my posts, I think Harding is underated, and I even made a post declaring so, Stoney liked it and gave me a AIM and ever since we now talk alot.
Harding is a very mechanically sound goalie,with supburb reflexes and is a very smart goalie. I'm not bad mouthing Harding here.
I think Schwarz is to good to past the #10 slot.
None taken at all. I have actually defended the idea of drafting a goalie in the 1st round and see it as a viable option. Unfortunately, our defensive youth core is non-existant and is the greatest need. Honestly I can say that I've only seen Josh Harding play a couple times and haven't ever seen Schwarz ( besides highlight stuff ) and therefore can't compare the two but I definitely understand the importance of depth. It's just too bad at this point, drafting for need seems like a better idea than taking the best available player...totally understand your POV tho...

jacksheit

Oct 9, 2003
Ft.McMurray
Visit site
X-SHARKIES
hey man, the panthers have 2 second round pic's, and last year they traded their 2 picks for a first rounder, like last year. soooo what kinda first round defenceman could they score. they want a stay at home.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
We of course do not yet know the final finishing order nor who wins the lotto........It is interesting that certain 2nd half developments have created some possible doubts about certain top 5 players --eg. Ovechkin's Vorobiev-like poor 2nd half;Malkin's severe concussion;Olesz' injury and less than expected finishing prowess......Meanwhile Alexander Radulov's dazzling display at a 5 Nations U-18 in February as well as a strong year for his Upper League Tver squad have rocketed him higher on some list he's now #3 on Kyle Woodlief's Redline list as per the USA today website-- ahead of Olesz) and Rob Schremp's dazzling display in front of all the scouts at the CHL Top Prospects' Game must have left an indelible imprint on them of his natural skill that is of the highest order of anyone in this draft .......the only thing I think most can agree on is that CBJ will take Barker if he is there for them--they must start to build their D-corps up .........as to whether Malkin will still go 2nd or fall due to concerns about that severe concussion--we will have to see if and how well he play's at the upcoming World U-18's in Minsk in April......if Radulov dazzles again there,he might go in the top 5 .......The Schremp /Bolland evaluation will continue uinder a microscope as London goes through the OHL playoffs...

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Seeing how this thread has gotten alot of attention, is there any way we can bring Mock's back onto this board? Maybe a better link to the Mock boards on this board? :dunno:

X-SHARKIE

jacksheit said:
X-SHARKIES
hey man, the panthers have 2 second round pic's, and last year they traded their 2 picks for a first rounder, like last year. soooo what kinda first round defenceman could they score. they want a stay at home.

Well Boris Valabik would be the ideal situation for the Panthers....but I think he'll go higher them most exect and might not me around. I think the Panthers best option may be to keep those two 2nd round picks. Kirill Lyamin is a stud that could be a 1st round option for them. Then theres Roman Tesliuk, he is excelent defensive work horse….he’s not very big though. He also has some upside to his game offensivly. His strength though is his game in his own zone, in witch he’s hardly beet. He takes great pride in his own zone and is always in the right position and reacts very well.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Bluenote13 said:
Seeing how this thread has gotten alot of attention, is there any way we can bring Mock's back onto this board? Maybe a better link to the Mock boards on this board? :dunno:

The request has been made and is likely going to result in a move once the regular season ends. :D

Takkie

I Goc ya nose!
Jun 29, 2003
Florida
Visit site
Valabik would be Great. Personally i'm hoping For Tukonen or Green. but if we can pull off a Stewart type trade like last year that would be great. Imagineexiting the first round with Green/Valabik or Radulov (as much as he scares me)/Valabik

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
thestonedkoala said:
The problem is X-Sharkie is that players do slip out of position, look at Parise last year! The Wild simply don't need a goaltender for the time being. We also have to decide what the hell to do with Holmqvist and Fernandez once Harding is ready to come up to the big leagues.

Oh and who cares if O'Neill's offense hasn't progressed! The problem for the Wild is the need to have a stable number 1 or 2 defenseman to eat up time with good size and good player. We need guys that play the body and throw checks and eat up time and are big.

Doesn't WIllie Mitchell fill that role?

X-SHARKIE

On the subject of doing a 2nd round mock draft....I think that may be to hard.... 2nd round is when draft picks are very tough to predict. Theres some guys that I know for a fact won't make it out of that round, but there are many other good players that well jump in the 2nd round that I wold've never expected.
If you want a specific scouting report on somone who is a possible 2nd round pick just Private message me...thanks.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
hey sharkie, to make things more interesting, i think a lot of us around here would love to see you try a 2 round mock draft. We all know a lot of the prospects that are worthy of the first round, but the second round is a little more open, just a thought....

edit: next time ill read the post above before i post :lol: i guess my question was answered.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad