X-SHARKIES 2004 entry draft Mock draft: March

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Florida Panthers: RW Alexander Radulov: Panthers like this player I hear. Radulov's story is simple. He's one of the most talented players his age, he's also one Stuburn fellow. To much skill to ignore here for the Panthers...Alexander just needs to mature. One of the elilte snipers in this group, he's not a strong skater, but he has hands that make most NHLers jealous. He has solid size, i've seen him play a physical game before. Radulov reminds me alot of Nikolai Zherdev. Panthers wont pass him up.

Shvidki ring a bell?

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
Harding, Brust, Kettles, Korpiva and to a less extent Holmqvist and Cloutier...

Why again does Minnesota need a goalie? They'll take O'Neill or if he's not avaliable Green...and if's not avaliable Vobriak...

Because of those 6 goalies, only Harding appears to have an NHL future. And his is hardly a lock. It never hurts to have another goalie. A bunch of mediocre to bad prospects and one good one don't make you stacked at any position.

jincargo

Jan 28, 2004
If the Caps come out of the first round with Malkin, Fransson, and Lyamin...Ill dance the jig down F Street outside MCI Center.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
the "general" consensus has EDM picking a goalie first round this year, at some point, but I can't say that I personally disagree with either EDM pick; I'd personally prefer to spend both 1sts on forwards unless there is a G or D simply too good to pass up.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Paul Stastny

Great job Sharkie...lots of hard work put in obviously...

With your descriptions, this yr's draft seems better than advertised!

I'm intrigued by USHL product Paul Stastny (obviously because of blood lines - father = Peter)...where do u see him goin', what's his potential...? I've seen some reports on him goin' in the 2nd rnd. If so, how long will he last in the 2nd ya think?

Cheers

Stock Rocks

Feb 27, 2002
Billerica, Mass.
Visit site
Corey Schneider- MONEY man

cagney said:
I'm really interested to see what happens with Cory Schneider. He hasn't gotten a lot of press because he played prep hockey this year (where he finished with an amazing .96 save%) but he's joined the USNTDP's U-18 team and he'll be playing with them in the U-18 tourney next month. I can't wait to see how he does.

This kid is AMAZING.

I don't think people truly realize how special a season he had at Andover this year. I saw him about 5 times this year, and of those games, he allowed 1 goal or less in all of them (2 shutouts).

He had a save percentage of .960...960!!!

5 shutouts in 16 games.

Allowed a total of 15 goals allowed on a team that couldn't score in a brothel.

Yeah, yeah- people will say that the level of competition isn't all that, and there is definitely some truth to that, but I don't care who you are or where you play- to play that well, you have some legitimate skills.

IF he has a strong Under-18 World Championship next month, and I see no reason that he won't, I think you could see him sneak into the top-20. He's that good. And, I'd be willing to bet that a team out there loves him and is ready to take him high.

Great kid. He'll go a good deal higher than 29th IMO...

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
strungout said:
If the Caps come out of the first round with Malkin, Fransson, and Lyamin...Ill dance the jig down F Street outside MCI Center.

I'd join you!....though it should be even better (except Malkin) 'cause I really think the Bruins aren't going far and doubt the Wings win the cup, so they should definitly pick higher than 26th and 30th.

I still can't see McPhee not at least move one of those 2nd rounders to move up even more to get a stud d-man (maybe Green or Smid). This is such an important draft (I really think a bad draft could set the organization back a good 3-4 more years in rebuilding than if they do well).

PLEASE let us get Ovy or Malkin!!

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Michalek said:
Hell will freeze before sutter will take Russian kid as a 1st rounder.
CGY will take either ontoya , or NA forward.

I agree, I think there would have to be a Tuomo Ruutu style of player for Sutter to take a European forward and Lisin doesn't sound like that at all.

I've already heard Button on the radio talking about how it's a good goalie draft and that Sutter has said they are free to select a goaltender if they feel really strongly about one.

Guys that strike me as Flames (Sutter, T. Button) type of picks are (I am not including guys I'm convinced will not be there for the Flames pick):

Schwarz
Montoya
Dubnyk (all goalies 3 were mentioned by Button on the radio recently)
Stafford
Ladd
Bolland
Picard
Green
Thelan
Valabik
Chipchura
O'Neill

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
X-Sharkie: With everybody jumping all over you, I thought I'd give you some praise. Nice job. When the GMs make their selections in June, many of the fans will be all over them, so don't feel bad if a lot of the fans think they know better than you.

As a Ducks fan, I'd be thrilled if they drafted A.J. Thelen. To be honest, I didn't know too much about him until Kyle Woodlief featured him in the latest on-line edition of Red Line Report. Woodlief loves the guy and it looks like you do, too.

I figure the Ducks will be drafting somewhere between 8th and 12th. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Thelen is still available when they pick. I think he'd be a perfect fit. If he's gone, Andrew Ladd and Radulov both interest me.

In Southern California, we don't get to see much of the prospects. Your insights help keep me and others informed. Thanks.

X-SHARKIE

I see some of your complaints. Avs likely won't get Dubnyk..but he's to good not to go in the 1st round this year. Harding has NHL potential but he'll never be a stud goalie that Schwarz well. The more I think about it I could see the Devils taking Boris, but Bolland fits there system very well.

X-SHARKIE

bobbyorr4ever said:
Great job Sharkie...lots of hard work put in obviously...

With your descriptions, this yr's draft seems better than advertised!

I'm intrigued by USHL product Paul Stastny (obviously because of blood lines - father = Peter)...where do u see him goin', what's his potential...? I've seen some reports on him goin' in the 2nd rnd. If so, how long will he last in the 2nd ya think?

Cheers

Paul well get picked in the 2nd round. I see it being a mid/late 2nd round pick though....after the 45th selection is made his name enters the race. He skates very well, he has good hands, very nice shot, . He also has very good vision with the puck, he works hard on the ice, he has the offensive talent you look for in a prospect. He also contributes in other ways, he works the penalty kill very well and he’s shown very good puck poise on the PP.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Chainshot said:
I would think that while they do have a glaring hole in their blueline stable and it would make the most sense that if they have a player rated even that the tie-breaker be defenseman over forward, that JR might be able to parlay forwards into defensemen if he does look to move someone like O'Neill at the draft. It could rework the Canes faster if he moves him for a defenseman partially through the development process, since most of the guys we're going to see taken at the RES will be 3-5 years from being reliable nightly performers.

Granted... I have it that the Sabres need D and have put on the blinders to just about everyone else available other than the top 4 or 5 forwards who also wont be slipping to the 10-14 range where they look like they'll be drafting as of today.

:D
i agree with this. it wouldnt suprise me to see the canes leave the draft with a d20-24 years old, and another from the top 10 with their pick. the canes look pretty quick without oneill and francis - williams and cole are the future top 2 rw's, so i think oneill may be gone at the draft as well. it will probably be the last chance to trade him for a while.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Nice job X-Sharkie. Good read.

As a caps fan as long as the caps are in the top 3 slots I'll be happy. There are some good prospects there.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Hello everyone. I'm going to start doing a monthly Mock draft. Much like McKeens,Redline, ISS do themselves.

Don't McKeens, Redline and ISS do rankings not mock drafts? I know Redline usually does a couple mock drafts in their final issue, that's still seperate from their rankings however.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
X-SHARKIE said:
Paul well get picked in the 2nd round. I see it being a mid/late 2nd round pick though....after the 45th selection is made his name enters the race. He skates very well, he has good hands, very nice shot, . He also has very good vision with the puck, he works hard on the ice, he has the offensive talent you look for in a prospect. He also contributes in other ways, he works the penalty kill very well and he’s shown very good puck poise on the PP.

Thanx X-Sharkie...nice concise review...now I must ask what his downside is, with all this positive stuff... ;)

Cheers

X-SHARKIE

bobbyorr4ever said:
Thanx X-Sharkie...nice concise review...now I must ask what his downside is, with all this positive stuff... ;)

Cheers

Well, he skates well, he's very creative, great hands, works hard.... The kid is a simple case of just needing to devolope and prove he can do it against stronger compition. He's not very big, he's not very physical is also some nacks on him. His shot is solid but wont scare any goalie in the NHL level.

ziggy

Apr 23, 2003
Norrköping, Sweden
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
I see some of your complaints. Avs likely won't get Dubnyk..but he's to good not to go in the 1st round this year. Harding has NHL potential but he'll never be a stud goalie that Schwarz well. The more I think about it I could see the Devils taking Boris, but Bolland fits there system very well.

Great job, very intresting read - thanks X-SHARKIE!

You think Dubnyk will last that long? (I really hope so)

X-SHARKIE

ziggy said:
Great job, very intresting read - thanks X-SHARKIE!

You think Dubnyk will last that long? (I really hope so)

I could see him falling. As others have suggested, Oilers could land him with there 2nd pick in this draft. Not many teams well be looking for a goalie in the first round. Los Angeles,Edmonton, and Tampa Bay being the exceptions. Also there's a glut of good goaltender prospects in the 2nd/3rd round. Theres also some goalies llike Joe Fallon who have played very well this year, that could slip far as the 4th/5th rounds. Europe is stocked with some very good goaltender talent that has yet to be discovered IMO. Thomas Greiss of Germany could be this years Patrick Ehelechener..anyone who watches Sudburry well know what I mean :) Greiss could be the steal of the goaltender crop. Theres also the Russian Anton Khudobin....but the best goalies are from N.A. this year in deed.

Back to the 1st round though. I still see Schwarz as an exceptional talent. With Montoya being eyed by the Kings heavily, and Scheinder being a possible fav of Tampa Bay. I think any team picking from 25-30 well have a shot at Devan. I have alot of confidence in both Conklin and Markennen. So thats why I thought that McGrath might be the one that gets the taste buds in Edmonton juicy.
Schwarz= Richter style of goalie IMO Montoya= Mixture of Clouiter/and Turco Dubnyk= Shawn Burke Scheinder: Reminds me alot of Fleury to be honest.

Last edited:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Very nice sharkie. Great write up on Alex Picard, one of my favorites in this draft. From what I've seen of him, he reminds me alot of Miro Satan. Am I right in making that comparison? Also where do you see OVO playing for the Pens (crosses fingers) RW or C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->