X-box-one vs PS4 questions

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
I have not owned a console since Sega Genesis and have not followed them at all. Where I am living, I do not have my gaming computer right now so I am thinking of buying a console to play. I have tons of games on Steam, Origin and GoG so I am not too concerned about PC games that are playable on the consoles or console games that are playable on PC. I am more interested in which one has the better (non-PC) exclusives as well I have always liked the sports games (MLB, Madden, NHL, Fifa and the like) as well as kid friendly games (my son is 5 and would get him some games).

I know this is a sore spot for many, but if YOU had to choose with those parameters what would be the better choice and why? please.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Kid-friendly wise the PS4 has some pretty fun games for them : LittleBigPlanet and Ratchet and Clank. Both consoles share the same LEGO games (I think?).
There's also Crash Bandicoot remastered coming out.

PS4 has Gran Turismo (If you like racing) which I personally prefer over the other racing games.

I find the xBox one exclusives tend to be more geared to mainstream type of games (Gears of War, etc) while some PS4 exclusives can be very off-stream like 'What Remains of Edith Finch', 'Rime', 'Wild', or 'Boundless' (All of which I think are pretty 'knowledgeable' games for a kid to play).

Although, there are a few very sweet xBox One exclusive games and I personally like their UI a lot more than PS4. The other thing to consider is that the PS4 controller is smaller, so it might be more comfortable for your kid to play.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
There really isn't a better choice. They both have paywalls for multiplayer, they both basically look the same, neither has that many great exclusives out right now, and both of them have their share of children-friendly games. It used to be XB1 was a far more robust multimedia system and the PS4 was the more arch-typical gaming console. Now I don't think there's a significant difference between the two. For me the XB1 is a better multimedia console but that's solely because of Kinect commands.

You haven't owned a console in a while so the whole buy what your friends have argument probably doesn't matter. You also probably won't use VR that much (which PS4 has now through PSVR and Microsoft next year with Scorpio and the much more advanced Oculus).

Honestly, I'd say buy whatever is cheaper and you'll be happy. If you were going to buy an XB1 I would wait till next year and either buy Scorpio or the now much reduced in pricing regular XB1.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Thanks for the responses so far. I should have mentioned that multi-player is not going to happen/is not a concern/issue in the least. The most multi-player would be me and my son playing the same game at the same time on the same screen (something PC really lacks). I am also not interested in VR at this time at all.

Are the sports games the same for both? or does one have licenses to some sports and not others?

I will be buying used most likely.

What is a fair price used for either? Is Kinect worth it? Does PS4 have something similar is it is worth it? I am horrible with a controller, is one easier to use than the other? Are older games backward compatible? Can one stream netflix and the other not? I am so far behind with consoles.

Sorry about questions, just it is easier to ask those that use them (and I kinda trust most of the people/advice on this site/geek forum) than to try to dig through Google to find people who are just angry at each other because 'one is better than the other' with no explanation. I am leaning towards xb1 but still not sure.

Last edited:

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
1. Pretty sure sports games are the same for both.

2. I'm not sure if PS4 does, but PS3 had something similar. Haven't heard many things about Kinect recently, but xBox One at the very least has that kind of feature. If PS4 does have it, I doubt it is as good as the xBox One. I personally like the xBox Controller because it fits nice and snug in an older person's hand (I'm a PS4 guy), but your kid might find the PS4 controller better for that exact reason.

3. Not too sure about the prices myself, especially since the PS4 Pro just came out.

IMO, if you are looking to play a lot of coop games with your kid, then PS4 is the way to go with LittleBigPlanet, etc. Also depending on how much you value Kinect games (Just Dance is a huge one). Although it doesn't look like there are a lot of age 5-8 type of Kinect games available right now. He might just be able to live off Just Dance alone though (I know my cousins did)

If you think you are going to be more often playing it and you are more into mainstream type of games, then xBox One might just be the better choice.

Last edited:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
For co-op games with your kid there's Lego Dimensions and Disney Infinity.

Don't know if you like racing games, but Forza series is only on XBox.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Sports games are on both but Xbox currently has EA access - I'm not sure if PS4 has it yet.

For $29.99 per year you get all of last years EA's games for free. 10 hour trials and discounts on current games. They usually end up in the vault six to nine months later. This includes games like Battlefield, Titanfall, Plants vs. Zombies, ect. It's a hell of a deal if you like sports games. There are currently 37 titles in there for free with EA Access.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
The PS4 is better IMO.

The games themselves run fine on both systems, graphically similar, but the Xbone has an atrocious UI, and in generally just clunkier, with things divided into tabs and pages, whereas the PS4 has an evolved crossbar navigation, and it's more logical.

Xbone - think of the Windows 8 start screen, but navigated with a controller. PS4 - PSP/PS3 like.

Generally, the games I want are on PS4, run a hair better, and MS doesn't have as many exclusives - Quantum Break is good, not a big racing fan, don't care about Halo/GoW.

The only reason I would consider an Xbone S, is for the UHD bluray and if Sony's exclusives don't interest you. The Xbone controller in nicer IMO.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I enjoy Kinect and think it's worth it but if you don't really care for voice commands it's not necessary. Many 360 games are backwards compatible, PS4 has backwards compatibility but it's a smaller library, and is an extra (expensive) service that streams games to you. On XB1 you either buy a 360 game, or insert a 360 disc and the console prompts you to download the game if it's compatible. More games are added every month (Microsoft can't add games unless a publisher okays it).

To be honest for the most part you'll probably never make use of backwards compatibility but XB1 does it better.

The PS4 is better IMO.

The games themselves run fine on both systems, graphically similar, but the Xbone has an atrocious UI, and in generally just clunkier, with things divided into tabs and pages, whereas the PS4 has an evolved crossbar navigation, and it's more logical.

Xbone - think of the Windows 8 start screen, but navigated with a controller. PS4 - PSP/PS3 like.

Generally, the games I want are on PS4, run a hair better, and MS doesn't have as many exclusives - Quantum Break is good, not a big racing fan, don't care about Halo/GoW.

The only reason I would consider an Xbone S, is for the UHD bluray and if Sony's exclusives don't interest you. The Xbone controller in nicer IMO.

I like Xbox UI better than PS4, especially because I make use of Kinect to navigate it. XB1 UI has come a long way since the console came out, Microsoft updates it several times a year.

That's one other thing I forgot about. Microsoft is constantly updating and improving the software. Sony does so far less often. Which depending on your preferences might be a good thing.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I really don't think there's much of a difference. IMO the wiiU has far more coop games including the Lego's ones also. but if its between the other 2 go for the cheaper. Xbox is.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
IMO...

PS4: Storyline Adventure games. Better offline. Lousy Controller. Better Company.

XBONE: Shooter games. Better online. Amazing Controller. Nazisoft.

And this is coming from an Xbox user. Both systems are pretty much the same with each having different types of exclusives that are fun to play. Playstation has MLB: The Show which I consider an epic sports game and I am not even a baseball fan, while Xbox has Forza which absolutely kills any other racing game quite easily. At the end of the day? Both systems have their pros and cons, it really depends on what type of games you really want to play. With Sony being Japanese, you get a lot of RPG anime-style style of games whith in-depth storylines, but has that "children" type of feeling. Xbox, to me, is more for the mature gamer since a lot of their exclusives are shooters or hybrid shooters like Mass Effect with an "M" rating. I personally got the Xbox for the Halo universe since that is what I am the biggest fan of. If Bungie was more of a Sony company, I would probably have a PS4 right now...so my opinion might be worthless here. :laugh:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The exclusive debate is already in PS4's favour and seems like it's going to go even further in that direction very early into next year, even if we overlook the fact that the X1 doesn't actually technically have "exclusive" games anymore.

But in terms of your preferences, The Show would probably be the most interesting console exclusive.

Last edited:

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
As an owner of both, they're both pretty disappointing and I regret paying what I did for both.

The PS4 is a bit faster UI (but the UI is limited and clunky). The PS4 has a better controller, but the sticks are in the wrong spot. The Xbox can plug in a USB HDD for increased storage. Sony as a company sucks, and they just raised the price of Plus.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
As an owner of both, they're both pretty disappointing and I regret paying what I did for both.

The PS4 is a bit faster UI (but the UI is limited and clunky). The PS4 has a better controller, but the sticks are in the wrong spot. The Xbox can plug in a USB HDD for increased storage. Sony as a company sucks, and they just raised the price of Plus.
Dont know if I regret it but yeah they sheer library of games the 360 and ps3 had just isn't here. Honestly I would go for a 360 or ps3 if you already have a gaming pc. Its much cheaper and theres tons of great games.

Especially since ps3 has every metal gear solid game, as well as tons of hidden gems like vanquish and the same indie library.

Last edited:

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Hmmm, you people are starting to change my mind. I now am leaning a bit more toward PS4, and the idea of just going with a regular xbox360(?) or ps3 is intriguing as I could probably buy both systems for the same price. Thanks for inputs so far.

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
If youre mostly interested in sports games, xbox has EA access which is great.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
BTW if you're planning on playing games like Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE which can be modded on consoles, Sony won't allow external assets which really gimps the mods available on PS4

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Better question is what do your friends own.

Not an issue. I am 45 and 0 of my friends play games so no a concern.

If youre mostly interested in sports games, xbox has EA access which is great.

Yeah, the sports games are a big thing. I have been on PC for so long and I miss good sports games.

BTW if you're planning on playing games like Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE which can be modded on consoles, Sony won't allow external assets which really gimps the mods available on PS4

Modding is not a concern either. I do have a good gaming PC (I am just separated from it for the time being but will be reunited at some point, just don't know when) so games that would be PC + console I probably already own them. Exclusives (not on PC), sports and kids games would be my selling point and 0 interest in multiplayer/online games

thanks again.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Modding is not a concern either. I do have a good gaming PC (I am just separated from it for the time being but will be reunited at some point, just don't know when) so games that would be PC + console I probably already own them. Exclusives (not on PC), sports and kids games would be my selling point and 0 interest in multiplayer/online games

thanks again.

In that case PS4 would be my suggestion. My 2 cents though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad