WXYT Report-FAN 590 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
vanlady said:
Let's just say after I listened to that interview this morning I became even more convinced that Bettman's time as commisioner are numbered.

And your opinion on the matter is relevant to me how, exactly? :D

Let's just say after I listened to everything that went on yesterday, I became even more convinced that Bettman's doing what his owners hired him to do, and that Goodenow's lost control of the union he supposedly represents.

Play ping pong with somebody else, I'm too busy laughing at the high comedy of all of this.

ResidentAlien*

Smail said:
Because McCaw didn't like Bettman? Now is he still an owner?

No offense but can you two take it outside or get a rooM??
Can you say Off topic?

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Watched the interview on Mike and the Mad Dog.

Chris ripped Goodenow a new one. Goodenow sounds really, really desperate.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Digger12 said:
And your opinion on the matter is relevant to me how, exactly? :D

Let's just say after I listened to everything that went on yesterday, I became even more convinced that Bettman's doing what his owners hired him to do, and that Goodenow's lost control of the union he supposedly represents.

Play ping pong with somebody else, I'm too busy laughing at the high comedy of all of this.

I have to agree . . . Let me ask a simple question to prove the point:

You have a business that is your whole life, you need to negotiate a deal that will make or break your business. Put aside your feelings for Bob or Gary, regardless of who you support, NHL or NHLPA, who would you hire to represent you? If anything I am betting that the players wish that Gary was representing them.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Isles72 said:
these tools dont know anything about hockey indeed .

Mike knows a fair deal about hockey. Chris tends to shoot from the hip..though he admits he's not the most knowledgeable hockey guy. My main point of disagreement with Chris is his "dilution of talent" argument and his "there should only be 20 teams in the league." Those aren't statements that someone who doesn't know the game should be making.

Balej20*

Jaded-Fan said:

You have a business that is your whole life, you need to negotiate a deal that will make or break your business. Put aside your feelings for Bob or Gary, regardless of who you support, NHL or NHLPA, who would you hire to represent you? If anything I am betting that the players wish that Gary was representing them.

no doubt about it

NYFAN

Jul 8, 2004
Long Island
"Goodenow is saying that hockey is a weak structure and you cant build on it, so he is now blasting hokcey as a league."

Balej, you gotta give more accurate info. I was listening to the interview, he said Hockey is different from football in that the NFL share 2 billion in tv revenue, while the NHL owners will only share approx 90 million dollars of a 2 billion dollar pie. Which makes the foundation of a partnership in the NHL weak, and if it starts off weak it will never work. When the owners are ready to discuss real meaningful revenue sharing, then there will be a partnership!

Balej20*

NYFAN said:
"Goodenow is saying that hockey is a weak structure and you cant build on it, so he is now blasting hokcey as a league."

Balej, you gotta give more accurate info. I was listening to the interview, he said Hockey is different from football in that the NFL share 2 billion in tv revenue, while the NHL owners will only share approx 90 million dollars of a 2 billion dollar pie. Which makes the foundation of a partnership in the NHL weak, and if it starts off weak it will never work. When the owners are ready to discuss real meaningful revenue sharing, then there will be a partnership!

WHERE ARE THEY GONNA GET THE MONEY FROM TO SHARE???? Thats what i do not understand, there is no revenue to share!!! Are we gonna share the revenue of Cabelvison, COME ON!

Sorry to yell

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
417 TO MTL said:
If this supposed mutiny is true...it's the best move the players have done during this whole lockout...

The players should take the 42.5 million offer and run...the NBA a league which makes alot more money has a cap at 44 million and they're heading towards a CBA war...

The big difference is that in the NBA that money is spread among 10 players. In the NHL.. more like 30.

NYFAN

Jul 8, 2004
Long Island
Balej20 said:
WHERE ARE THEY GONNA GET THE MONEY FROM TO SHARE???? Thats what i do not understand, there is no revenue to share!!! Are we gonna share the revenue of Cabelvison, COME ON!

Sorry to yell
I'm not arguing with you, just giving a more accurate report of what was said. Since you asked, do you really think the Rangers lost over 40 million dollars last season? This is the type of nonsense Goodenow was alluding to. The Rangers didn't lose any money last season, just alot of respect! Seats may have been empty, but I can assure you they were already paid for. Dolans accountants waved their magic pens over the numbers in order to help Gary's cause. The Rangers are probably second or third in the league in terms of actual income, before income gains and losses are massaged for tax purposes!

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Jaded-Fan said:

Good point.

What I find fascinating about the entire ordeal is the difference in how the NHL is handling this compared to 10 years ago. In '94, there seemed to be more emotion, more vitriol and bombast from their side. They never seemed comfortable with a long lockout, and the longer it went the more sweaty their palms seemed to get.

This time, and maybe because it's mostly a much different, more affluent group of owners...they seem much more prepared, more businesslike and downright calculating. They know what they want, and this time Bettman was given full reign.

The NHLPA? They've basically fought this the same way they fought '94, with the exception that many more players bolted to Europe this time. And they're getting their asses kicked all over the place in '04. The bullying tactics that made owners sweat back in '94 haven't been all that successful this time around.

In essence...the owners learned and adapted, and though it's cost them a season they are in much stronger control of these proceedings than last time.

The players did not adapt, and they are reeling if not outright fractured at the moment. For all of their rhetoric about how they were prepared for this, it truly rings hollow now. IMO they never in their heart of hearts expected the owners to pull the plug, and now that it's happened they're reacting like a lost 6 year old in West Edmonton Mall.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Balej20 said:
Goodenow is crying about poor revenue sharing in the NHL.He says revenue sharing is a NEED for any league.

I can see it now

Goodenow: Revenue sharing is key for any capped league.

Interviewer: Is that so the financially weaker clubs can afford to spend up towards the cap number not only down at the bottom?

Goodenow: Absolutely.

Interviewer: So why did you propose a cap that would require a team to spend $65m to reach it ($54m + tax)? Where are financially weaker teams supposed to get that much money? Just how much revenue sharing do you expect?

Goodenow: Hey look over there at that giant pink spider!!! [sound of running footsteps and door slamming]

Interviewer: Mr Goodenow? Has anyone seen Mr Goodenow?

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
TexSen said:
121 posts into your "career" here at the HF boards and you've managed to throw down the funniest post ever. Absolutely awesome!

Congratulations!

Come on! Where's the love for this hilarious post??????????? :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

The best is its probably true... :lol

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
I just had a really frightening thought. It is well documented that the NHLPA, it's members and player agents have done very well by the last CBA. They basically found loopholes regarding entry level contracts and arbitration... and exploited them to the tune of a $1.2 million raise in average salary for the players over the ten years.

What if... it was the NHLPA's plan all along to wait until the zero hour, wait until the season was cancelled, then accept the last offer and look like they are giving in to the league - when their true plan all along was to once again unleash their superior lawyers and player agents to manipulate a hastily-put-together collective bargaining agreement... :speechles

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Jaded-Fan said:

I doubt it matters. If the owners hang tight there is nothing the players can do. The more oppressed side has the advantage. During the early 90s agreement its was the players that continually got shaft up to that point. The owners caved. The ones with the most to loose usually do. Now its the other way around, the players have the most to lose.

The players were in their best position in February. They had little of the season left to lose, the owners had the playoffs and next years revenue. The players won't be back to this position again until 2006. Bettman will go back to the 55% linkage. 55% of $1B-$1.5B is not going to look good.

Put aside your feelings for Bob or Gary, regardless of who you support, NHL or NHLPA, who would you hire to represent you? If anything I am betting that the players wish that Gary was representing them.

What could Bettman have done that Goodenow didn't? Switch them around and Goodenow would have had the NHL wait the players into submission. He'd be even harder on them than Bettman has been. Goodenow's main tactic is do nothing, he'd just do nothing until the players cracked. Losing the season would mean nothing to Goodenow.

If you are in the least to lose I think Goodenow is the man. If you are the ones with the most to lose his "wait them out" tactic isn't so good, especially if your side is going to crack.

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
Digger12 said:
What I find fascinating about the entire ordeal is the difference in how the NHL is handling this compared to 10 years ago. In '94, there seemed to be more emotion, more vitriol and bombast from their side. They never seemed comfortable with a long lockout, and the longer it went the more sweaty their palms seemed to get.

I think in '94 the owners had a lot to lose. Every day gone by and every concession made in the deal was not just money but money from the black side of the ledger out of their pockets.

The players in contrast were coming out of a crappy deal and could only move one direction and that was towards more money.

This year it's opposite. I don't think the owners feel like they have anything to lose (obviously some do but not by the majority it was in '94) so there really is nothing to get emotional about.

From an owners perspective I think '94 was about greed and this year it's simple business....

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Bettman was on 590 this morning and he was asked about the 42.5.

He said he could have budged a bit but that's it. (hint, hint) He knows players listen to 590.

If he's still talkin about the negotiations there can be something done.

I'm not giving up hope until March 1st. I love Hockey too much.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
copperandblue said:
From an owners perspective I think '94 was about greed and this year it's simple business....

That's pretty much it in a nutshell I think...w/ the exception of Goodenow. I truly believe there's owners out there that despise the man, and would consider his removal almost as much a victory as getting the CBA they desire.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Balej20 said:
they should hold firm with their 42.5 offer.

I was listening to Bettman last night and he was aksed on a us radio station lbuntly if he would have taken $45 and he hmm and hawed and then said no but said he did have a few hundred thousand in room. That says 44 would have done it to me.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
me2 said:
I doubt it matters. If the owners hang tight there is nothing the players can do. The more oppressed side has the advantage. During the early 90s agreement its was the players that continually got shaft up to that point. The owners caved. The ones with the most to loose usually do. Now its the other way around, the players have the most to lose.

The players were in their best position in February. They had little of the season left to lose, the owners had the playoffs and next years revenue. The players won't be back to this position again until 2006. Bettman will go back to the 55% linkage. 55% of $1B-$1.5B is not going to look good.

What could Bettman have done that Goodenow didn't? Switch them around and Goodenow would have had the NHL wait the players into submission. He'd be even harder on them than Bettman has been. Goodenow's main tactic is do nothing, he'd just do nothing until the players cracked. Losing the season would mean nothing to Goodenow.

If you are in the least to lose I think Goodenow is the man. If you are the ones with the most to lose his "wait them out" tactic isn't so good, especially if your side is going to crack.

If Bettman was representing the Players he would have accurately read the owners resolve, and played for the best deal that he could, perhaps getting trade offs in much lower UFA's and other areas, in exchange for the Cap, back in August when the player's hand actually was the strongest. They had a year of Capped revenues in their hands to play then and could have gotten something for it. Now what do they have?

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
vanlady said:
Oh and if Bettman has the support of all 30 owners, ask yourself this. Why have the mouth pieces of John McCaw(Dan Russell, Arthur Griffiths and Tony Gallager) all turned on Bettman 2 weeks ago?

My god. :banghead:

Tony Gallagher an "owner mouthpiece"? What the hell planet are you living on!? The man is *unabashedly* anti-owner, and has been *for years*. He's practically a PA member.

As for Russell and Griffiths, nothing has changed. Russell has been pro-player for months now, and Griffiths still supports the owners completely.

Sheesh.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Balej20 said:
Ok...the Bob Goodenow interview...

FIrst question was why did the players refuse to look at the numbers... Goodenow responded by saying that they did their own report 2 years ago and they knew the economics. He can assure us of that...

He says that the NHL has NOT lost $200-300 million over the past 2 years...
He keeps talking about their damn roll back.

Where are the revenue streams coming from Bob?....Goodenow says "i didnt say that havent lost money." Ok he dudged that question and ONCE AGAIN brought up
the roll back. He says the economic system in place over the past few years has been fine.

Why did it take so long to agree to a cap?...Goodenow says "I dont think it was late" HAHA. He said the players made all kinds of proposals to the owners. The players bent over backwards to accomidate the owners accoring to Bob. Goodenow keeps dodging the question of why he waited so long to propose a cap offer. He says negotiations have come to a grinding hault now.

Goodenow says linkage is a cap. He disagrees with the NHL needing a cap, because the NFL has beeter revenues...(if that makes any sense)

Goodenow is saying that hockey is a weak structure and you cant build on it, so he is now blasting hokcey as a league.

Goodenow is ripping apart Bettmans revenue sharing plan. HAHAH Goodenow is being sarcastic with Chris Russo, GOODENOW IS A JOKE, RUSSO IS KILLING HIM!!!

Goodenow is crying about poor revenue sharing in the NHL.He says revenue sharing is a NEED for any league.

Chris Russo says Goodenow has miscalculated the resolve of the owners...Goodenow says...that with the rooll back, the league would have been sucesfull this year. HE DOESNT GET IT, THE roll back is a QUICK FIX, NOT A LONG TERM SOLUTION, COME ON!

GOODENOW IS calling Chris Russo MIKE!!! AND CHRIS IS YELLING AT HIM.

I'm sorry, I hate Goodenow, i can barely listen to him, he speaks in riddles and whines the whole time.

Goodenow admits he never looked at the books, but he claims he knows exactly what is going on with the economics of hockey.Chris Russo is now killing Goodenow because the NHL players have been taking the jobs of other guys all around the world. Goodenow says there is ntohing wrong with that.

What about your solidarity of your union Bob? Goodenow says....the level of communication is extrodinary, rich, deep and daily. It has never been an issue for us. Everyone is united here. But THEN he says that "in negotitating, you do not communicate every little chaneg to everyone"

What about the players who went to Ed Snider...? Goodenow dodged it by saying :"what about the owners talking to the players"

All I have to say folks, is Bobby Goodenow just got reamed hard and he lost a lot of creditability here. Good luck Bobby Goodenow in getting any kind of good deal down the road...you are lost my friend.

Oh Man Russo destroyed his credibility, especially the the question about Charles Wang the Islander owner inviting Goodenow to look at his books twice and Goodenow declined !!! Its probably one of the most damaging interviews ever done live... BYE BYE BOB !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad