WXYT Report-FAN 590 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Chuck Shick said:
Not me I sell IBM servers in Pittsburgh PA, Grew up in Toronto.

Only kidding... :)

"He is the drive time radio host for the #1 sports radio channel in Canada Fan 590" - yes, an explanation of cred but kinda sounds like a pitch.

Balej20*

Le Golie said:
Here's what *might have* happened.

"Hi Brendan, this is Bill Thompson, sports director here at 1270 WXYT in Detroit."

"Hi Bill."

"Brendan the reason I am calling is because we'd like to get you on the air this morning to get your reaction to the cancellation of the season."

"Actually Bill this is not a good time for me, my wife is insisting on waffles this morning and I'm trying to convice her that bacon is more in order. If I do an interview right now there's no chance in hell I'll get my bacon. Giving an interview will jeopordize the negotiation going on here."

"WOW! I didn't really listen to anything but the last sentance here but say no more! We'll talk soon. Godspeed Brendan."

hahahhahaha Classic

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
McCowan just said that his source that called him last night (sorry again Sparty) was both "credible" and "un-impeachable" (guess it wasn't Pres. Clinton).

I find it odd, however, that since McCowan has come on, all of the subsequent 20/20 updates haven't said boo about it. Not sure what that means if anything.

He also said that one of his producers sent an e-mail to Bill Daly on his Blackberry about the rumor and the response was "not sure if we could save the season, but would love to have the problem".

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
nomorekids said:
People dispelling this rumor simply because the season was cancelled are being a little short-sighted.

While it's true that it's probably too late to save THIS season, I think a lot of the players heard some alarm bells yesterday. If enough guys come to their senses, they'll realize that their chances are a lot better NOW of getting a deal that's at least somewhat beneficial to them..than if they wait until August. Right now, they realize enough owners want some certainty as to next season...and that could play to the players advantage in taking a deal. Come August-September, there's likely to be a far less lenient attitude. I don't know if I believe this rumor, but I hope for the players' sake that it's true.

I've got to agree with nmk.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I THINK that 2 things need to happen for this to work. First, the time line is mainly an issue due to the legal work required to get a deal signed. IF, IF the players agree to most of the legalese from the last CBA (and not haggle over it), AND if the players quickly get the cap number nailed to something the league can live with (and my guess is that $44M would do it), then we can have a season.

The key is going to be getting the CAP implemented correctly in the CBA to eliminate loopholes. Also, IF the players arn't willing to expidite the legalese of the agreement, then their will be no deal. The $42.5M cap is ONLY workable IF their is a season. So whatever the players do, the legalese portion will HAVE to be expidited to get a season.

Finally, IF an agreement is reached, it would NOT shock me. This is the equivalent of playing a game of chicken (driving cars off a cliff), and both parties, as they fall over the cliff, going for a redo. If most people had the chance, they would do so. It just happens that in this game of chicken, you CAN try a redo, unlike in real life.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Chuck Shick said:
back channel deal ? sounds like an end around on Goodenow

It might be around Bettman and Goodenow. On Arthur Griffiths show this morning I caught part of an interview. The person on the phone said that 8-10 owners forced Gary on stage to cancel the season and there are a lot of unhappy owners. Normally I wouldn't post this becuase MOJO doesn't have a audio vault but a poster on Canucks.com heard the same thing. The person being interviewed felt that the next BOG was going to be a blood bath. He also said that many owners won't say anything publically because of the gag order being back in place.

Arthur Griffiths is credible and as an ex owner has freinds none of us has.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
vanlady said:
It might be around Bettman and Goodenow. On Arthur Griffiths show this morning I caught part of an interview. The person on the phone said that 8-10 owners forced Gary on stage to cancel the season and there are a lot of unhappy owners. Normally I wouldn't post this becuase MOJO doesn't have a audio vault but a poster on Canucks.com heard the same thing. The person being interviewed felt that the next BOG was going to be a blood bath. He also said that many owners won't say anything publically because of the gag order being back in place.

Hmmm Interesting...this thing could still have a pulse....

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Van, HOW can 8-10 owners FORCE Bettman to do something at the expense of the other 20-22? And don't give me this "only 8 owners crap". IF 22 owners truly wanted the season to go on at all costs, their would be a season. It ONLY takes 16 governers to fire Gary, and if this "rumour" is to be believed, then the 22 who want to play are sitting on their hands why exactly?

One more thing, I get the impression that EVERY owner knew exactly what was going on, and that Bettman was consulting with them ALOT. While no in person public vote was held, I do believe Bettman would win any vote amongst the owners at this point in time, they have clearly been consulted.

The Union on the other hand, to me at least, seems to have not consulted with many of its players at all. Most players are shocked by every move made by the Union, including team player reps. The fact that the Union let the ship sink without a vote (which would send a STRONG signal should the Union have the harmony they publicly portray), seems bizzare to me. If the players voted down the last league offer 96% to 4%, that sends a strong, powerful message to the owners. Why not send that message, as opposed to what apears to be a somewhat chaotic situation in the PA?

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
vanlady said:

If the gag order was back in place, why are all owners/management commenting yesterday and today?

Also, George Mcphee said there were at least 13 teams that voted against the last NHL proposal (for being too generous), I can't see how this could be any positive for the players.

If this is true, Gary Bettman is being too generous and easy going to the players!

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Egil said:
Van, HOW can 8-10 owners FORCE Bettman to do something at the expense of the other 20-22? And don't give me this "only 8 owners crap". IF 22 owners truly wanted the season to go on at all costs, their would be a season. It ONLY takes 16 governers to fire Gary, and if this "rumour" is to be believed, then the 22 who want to play are sitting on their hands why exactly?

They require a BOG meeting to fire Gary and there hasn't been one. Harley or Bettman has to call the meeting. That was what was said.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
WFAN Goodenow- first question out of the gate Russo just asked him about the invite by Bettman to look at the books...He DODGED IT !! Then the blah blah blah rhetoric..the guys is an idiot.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Smail said:
If the gag order was back in place, why are all owners/management commenting yesterday and today?

Also, George Mcphee said there were at least 13 teams that voted against the last NHL proposal (for being too generous), I can't see how this could be any positive for the players.

If this is true, Gary Bettman is being too generous and easy going to the players!

Well maybe half of these 13 owners should get the hell outta hockey !!

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
vanlady said:
They require a BOG meeting to fire Gary and there hasn't been one. Harley or Bettman has to call the meeting. That was what was said.

Your telling me that if 22 owners wanted Bettman fired they couldn't do it? Do you truly believe that?

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Smail said:

Sorry but true the gag order was put back in on Monday.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~84~2713829,00.html

A even if it was 13 teams, that is still not the majority.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Egil said:
Your telling me that if 22 owners wanted Bettman fired they couldn't do it? Do you truly believe that?

They can't without a BOG meeting. Why do you think Gary kept cancelling his BOG meetings??

SENSible1*

Vanlady,

Your premise is ridiculous. (Not that this is unusual for you)

Bettman is fully in charge and Bobby will be shown the door.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Chuck Shick said:
WFAN Goodenow- first question out of the gate Russo just asked him about the invite by Bettman to look at the books...He DODGED IT !! Then the blah blah blah rhetoric..the guys is an idiot.

Russo is eating him alive !!! Hard questions and Goodenow is backpedalling like you won't believe. This guy Goodenow is coming across as a complete JOKE ...if anyone is listening please confirm what I'm saying...Goodenow is now yelling !!! This is a Cluster**** for Goodenow, he'll never be on WFAN again !!!

Old Hickory

Chuck Shick said:
Russo is eating him alive !!! Hard questions and Goodenow is backpedalling like you won't believe. This guy Goodenow is coming across as a complete JOKE ...if anyone is listening please confirm what I'm saying...Goodenow is now yelling !!! This is a Cluster**** for Goodenow, he'll never be on WFAN again !!!
I hope they have it on their website later

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
vanlady said:
They can't without a BOG meeting. Why do you think Gary kept cancelling his BOG meetings??

Your telling me that if 22 owners wanted Gary fired, they couldn't call a BoG meeting? You are living in fantasyland I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad