GDT: WWE Wrestlemania 34 (8th April 2018)

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I see this as another case that proves that the WWE has been mostly crap since the brand split. Was crap the first time too.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I felt the entire booking was a middle finger to the internet fans. They did everything opposite of expected just to say "Gotcha!" and in doing that, made the show dumb and non organic.

It's now two giant PPVs that Nakamura has JOBbed with the big entrance. Unless he gets his "revenge" as a heel tonight. That's killing his mystique.

I hate when they have someone win at WM and lose a title the next night on Raw. So dumb.

Also, I don't get the Jinder and Rollins wins at all. Rollins has been a WC. What does the IC belt do for him? Would've been better for Balor because, you know, he could actually elevate his career. Also, why didn't he go Demon? WM is tailor made for that entrance.

Jinder as US Champ is repetitive. Is he going to do the whole "anti-American but I have their belt" thing that all heels do? Yawn.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bálor wasn’t the demon because he wasn’t winning. It was the right call.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
credit where it's due. I was happily wrong about the Rousey match.

Rousey seems to have the natural ability for wrestling. Good selling, really good timing and good execution. She didnt look like a 1st timer out there at all. In fact, her and HHH carried that match (which was a damn good match btw).

Overall the show was whats wrong with WWE lately...inconsistent and trying to fit too much in.

I also hate the 2 big decisions in the booking.

1st being, no Wrestlemania should have both world champions retain.

2nd being having the Royal Rumble winner lose the Mania match. Just completely counter to what that path is supposed to do for a fledgling main eventer. Seems like they did it just to swerve the marks.

The heel turn could've been done with a Shinsuke win. Just have him get so frustrated after multiple near falls that he does a ref bump, attacks AJ with a weapon, and gets the pin to take the title

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
That was the first time I have ever watched either AJ Styles or Nakamura in the WWE and it was absolute garbage.

I hate them both now but hate AJ alot more because he doesn't even have a personality.

At least the Reigns/Lesnar fight was funny. :laugh:

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I felt the entire booking was a middle finger to the internet fans. They did everything opposite of expected just to say "Gotcha!" and in doing that, made the show dumb and non organic.

It's now two giant PPVs that Nakamura has JOBbed with the big entrance. Unless he gets his "revenge" as a heel tonight. That's killing his mystique.

I hate when they have someone win at WM and lose a title the next night on Raw. So dumb.

Also, I don't get the Jinder and Rollins wins at all. Rollins has been a WC. What does the IC belt do for him? Would've been better for Balor because, you know, he could actually elevate his career. Also, why didn't he go Demon? WM is tailor made for that entrance.

If Seth Rollins and AJ Styles winning is a middle finger, then please, continue flipping me off.

Seth needed this win if he was going to stay babyface (which he should.) Seth has been lacking that signature win for a long time.

As far as AJ and Nakamura goes, you’re still getting the full feud and it likely will see Nakamura win the belt. It’s just keeping the more popular guy as a babyface. What is so wrong with that?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I rewatched AJ/Nakamura in the hopes I was just too tired last night but yeah it was still pretty boring. it was like a good quality Smackdown match, except it wasnt even as good as Rollins/Balor and that was on Raw

I hope the heel turn results in a better rematch but... who knows. this was Mania. this was their chance to put it all out there

Reactions: TNT87

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
That was the first time I have ever watched either AJ Styles or Nakamura in the WWE and it was absolute garbage.

I hate them both now but hate AJ alot more because he doesn't even have a personality.

At least the Reigns/Lesnar fight was funny. :laugh:

This is unfair as all hell to AJ, imo.

Last night was bad (yes, bad. It was a slow build match that makes you think its getting a lot more time but then ended really early) but he's been a four star machine since his debut.

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
Just finished up the event. I really liked almost everything except the main event tbh.

Interesting to see if Brock drops the belt tonight, but I read he is out of dates on his current contract.

Lots of new angles and storylines I'm looking forward too. Would be shocked if Kurt doesn't get fired tonight and if AOP show up to get involved with Braun "forcing" him to find a real partner.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
PWS is reporting that Brock and Vince got into a heated altercation after the main event

apparently Brock threw the title at the wall and walked out

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
And seems initiated by Brock too. He did seem angry throughout the match (and probably worked too stiff as a result) but I'm not sure what it could be at.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If Seth Rollins and AJ Styles winning is a middle finger, then please, continue flipping me off.

Seth needed this win if he was going to stay babyface (which he should.) Seth has been lacking that signature win for a long time.

As far as AJ and Nakamura goes, you’re still getting the full feud and it likely will see Nakamura win the belt. It’s just keeping the more popular guy as a babyface. What is so wrong with that?

AJ is a made man. He's impervious to JOBing now. Isn't he hurt too? It would have been much better for Nakamura's career longterm and if AJ really is slightly injured or less than 100%, to heal a little and then start doing the Booker T/Martel switching titles several times feud.

What does it do for Rollins though? The guy is already super over and has been a WC. The IC title used to be what I called the "meat title" which is elevating a great worker to the next level. Rollins has done it all at this point, Balor needed it to get to that next level.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
After sleeping on it and digesting it here are some thoughts.

The IC title: great curtain jerking match good match in general. The mix in this match made me nervous that he would drag it down but looked like he belonged. Loved the finish.

SDWC: phoenominal match hands down best women's match I've seen. Liked the finish with the tripod figure 8. At first I questioned the breaking of the streak but I get it. At some point the streak gets to the point where it can never end cause no matter who ends it they probably wouldn't have been the right one to end it. Charlotte is one of the only people who are believable to do so.

Us title:poop

Mixed tag: most entertaining match of the night very very very pleasantly surprised. I loved it.

Smackdown tag: short but it was booked perfectly the way the bludgeon brothers have been booked. Ducks for the USPS but made sense.

Cena taker: I enjoyed it the whole way it was portrayed throughout the night. Liked the squash

Bryan's return. Bryan looked good hasn't missed a step. Loved it.

Raw womens: match was eh but made to much sense. The bullied destroys her bully. Feel good story for the kiddos and ties into the wwes anti bullying campaign

Aj nak. After rewatching it there was something off. Waiting for it to build and top off but just never got there. I dunno if it was meant to have more time but got cut short I dunno something missing. Loved the nak turn wanna see heel nak vs face aj

Braun and Nicolas. From what I've read it's not a make a wish kid so makes no sense at all. Wasted opportunity could have had rey or cass or Ellsworth or literally any shocking return.

Reigns brock. No idea but the booking didn't match the finish. It was booked to look like reigns was superhuman but lost. I dunno.

I'm not as critical on the wrestling as most are.

Overall the show was good but will be scrapped on because of the last 2 matches. Started really really good but started to fall off after the daniel bryan return.

Reactions: TD Charlie

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don’t get too excited, they’ll have Lesnar tear Danielson limb from limb as was the original plan 4 years ago

Last edited:

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
AJ is a made man. He's impervious to JOBing now. Isn't he hurt too? It would have been much better for Nakamura's career longterm and if AJ really is slightly injured or less than 100%, to heal a little and then start doing the Booker T/Martel switching titles several times feud.

What does it do for Rollins though? The guy is already super over and has been a WC. The IC title used to be what I called the "meat title" which is elevating a great worker to the next level. Rollins has done it all at this point, Balor needed it to get to that next level.

There's some potential for Rollins vs Balor for the IC title but it comes with a huge caveat of Balor actually staying on Raw.

I assume it was probably just to get Seth his grand slam without it being a weird thing later in his career.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
This is unfair as all hell to AJ, imo.

Last night was bad (yes, bad. It was a slow build match that makes you think its getting a lot more time but then ended really early) but he's been a four star machine since his debut.

I am a completely lapsed fan, the last time I watched consistently was like 2001, but this kicking stuff is the worst new thing I am noticing in WWE. Its really not exciting.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
What I'm wondering with A.J...was he wrestling (still) hurt last night? Maybe they weren't going to go all out in this first match and have A.J. go over and turn Nakamura heel and make that a program for a while instead of just having one match. Hell, you can take that to Summerslam easily.

What would be amazing is if Finn goes to Smackdown since he lost last night...run those three in a program for the main belt.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Balor is a former NXT Champ, Universal Champ, he practically went the distance in the Rumble, and he’s a leader of a faction.

I don’t think he needs the IC Title to elevate him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->