GDT: WWE Wrestlemania 34 (8th April 2018)

Oct 18, 2011
Ho
I wanna go back to this post and see what TLF thinkwhat itow. Honestly Takeover DESTROYED Wrestlemania. And it's not even close. And this is coming from a guy who isn't a big indy guy and prefers entertainment to just wrestling.

The only matches that maybe could have even made it to the Takeover card, in terms of value, were the IC title match and Asuka/Flair match. But the Flair/Asuka match had such a bad result. Flair will forever be a main eventer. She has the name, the skills, and put in the matches. Asuka was really gaining steam with that mystique on the main card just to come crashing down. Now it's gone. And quite honestly - it's going to hurt her. She needed that match.

But interested in your thoughts. IMO Takeover destroyed Mania. And i'm the furthest thing from an indy fan.

And I'm interested in @M.C.G. 31 and @Emperoreddy watching NXT and trying to figure out how these are even the same company. The simple booking, the intelligent usage of wrestlers, the match booking itself, the quality of matches, etc. I know it can't be the same exact show, but if they even booked matches/results similar, they'd make more stars and make fans a lot happier.
Honestly I fast forwarded through alot of WM..glad I didn't pay to watch this thing. The main event was what it was the fans never gave it a chance because they didn't want to see it. Vince needs to wake up and drop this Roman Babyface crap.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
I'm deliberately rating based on match quality only and not my opinion of the booking because a lot of matches would be dragged down, sadly.

Randomly-inserted criticism: WWE has suddenly started to push more on-camera talking in the ring. They focused heavily on this during the MMC challenge too. What's up with that? It's distracting, corny, awkward, and ruins the pace of the matches.

The Miz vs. Seth Rollins vs. Finn Balor [4 stars]
Three of WWE's best in-ring performers put on my match-of-the-night.

Kurt Angle and "Rowdy" Ronda Rousey vs. HHH and Stephanie McMahon [3.75 stars]
The heat on Steph was nuclear, and Ronda's performance was fantastic for a first-timer.

Daniel Bryan and Shane McMahon vs. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn [3.75 stars]
Bryan showed no rust, Owens and Zayn were great in their role, even Shane did one of his better coast-to-coasts. The crowd was all-in.

Charlotte Flair vs. Asuka [3.5 stars]
A solid wrestling match from two exceptional talents, despite not having the best chemistry.

AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura [3.5 stars]
An underwhelming match from these two, but still pretty good overall as AJ's the most talented performer in the company, and Nakamura is extremely talented as well)

Cedric Alexander vs. Mustafa Ali [3.25 stars]
A solid match from two incredibly athletic guys.

The Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal [2.75 stars]
I enjoy these for all the little stories they tell, and there were a bunch of them, but it's still a throwaway match overall.

Alexa Bliss vs. Nia Jax [2.75 stars]
An okay-ish match. It wasn't bad, but nothing really noteworthy outside of the finish. I liked seeing Nia smartly pound Mickie to start it off though.

Randy Orton vs. Jinder Mahal vs. Rusev vs. Bobby Roode [2.5 stars]
A really uninspired match. Felt like they all mailed it in.

The Bar vs. Braun Strowman and Nicholas [2.5 stars]
A Braun squash with one kid getting a front row seat. Not much of a match, really.

John Cena vs. The Undertaker [2.25 stars]

A short and uneventful squash, but the Undertaker looked better than I expected.

The Usos vs. The Bludgeon Brothers vs. The New Day [2 stars]
Another uninspired squash match...they really didn't care about either of the tag titles at this event, did they?

Women's Battle Royal [2 stars]
This was perhaps the most unfortunate instalment of a "first" match type for women's wrestling.

Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns [1.75 stars]
A match with four moves...and it was awful.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It’s not about not being able to work stiff, it’s about being able to do less than Nakamura did in New Japan and still remaining high on the card while not getting beat up. He didn’t want to get killed anymore in Japan nor get moved down the card there, so he left.

He definitely slowed things down, and he was slow getting going on the main roster, he had a bad title feud with Jinder, some other PPVs he was a third wheel, etc.

Everybody figured that when he got to AJ, and when he got to Wrestlemania, that he would turn it on for that match, or any other huge match. And AJ was the one who really pushed for this at Wrestlemania, that’s why they did the MITB spot. Maybe they cooled it down because of where they were going, but if you’re not going to go for the 5-Star match against the best guy in the company on the biggest show of the year, then what are you saving it for? If they had that match, and then Nakamura turns heel, that’s like so much more heat.

I thought the turn could’ve been better, like throw AJ into the steps or something. He just kept kicking him and then hit the Kinshasa and walked away. If you’re really pissed off, then hurt him.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I havent watched wrestling in honestly 14 years or so besides checking in here and there.

Why hasn't Austin ever had one more match? He was booked for a couple since his retirement hasn't he? If Vince paid the Rock to comeback you would think he would pay for Austin...but I guess he just content giving a Stunner once a year.

Honestly is there any former great ledt to comeback besides Austin? Think it would sell a Wrestlemania.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I havent watched wrestling in honestly 14 years or so besides checking in here and there.

Why hasn't Austin ever had one more match? He was booked for a couple since his retirement hasn't he? If Vince paid the Rock to comeback you would think he would pay for Austin...but I guess he just content giving a Stunner once a year.

Honestly is there any former great ledt to comeback besides Austin? Think it would sell a Wrestlemania.
Austin has spinal stenosis. He’s said time and time again that he was happy with the way his career ended facing The Rock and doesn’t want another match.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Austin has serious neck problems. The ship sailed when he didn't come back for 32

I've heard that while Austin had to retire due to his neck, he is not so bad that a one time appearance would be impossible. From what I understand, he is simply satisfied with how he went out and just doesn't want to do a one off match.

A rare attitude in wrestling.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
LMFAO so Vince had Brock go over after all. He didn't disappoint me. I knew he would spent a whole year setting this shit match up just he could go "AH HA GOTCHA!"

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Halfway through the show I was thoroughly enjoying myself. I was thinking that WWE had done a good job and had put on a good Mania.

Then Nia/Bliss happened and it was alllllll downhill from there as it got worse and worse until that insult of a Main Event. All of that was awful and booked so poorly. I don't like Roman. He's not the guy. But he's a better option than Brock and the idea of a straight beating like that is pathetic for so many ways.

Roman has been built as the only guy who can go with Brock. He got destroyed.

Roman kicked out of 93 finishers. Pathetic.

They did the real blood spot again? Disgusting.

Brock Lesnar put in almost zero effort? Shocking! If you ain't gonna try. Go home.

He needs to go away forever.

Reactions: Virtanen18

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
They built up the f5 for a year to put Roman over when he kicked out but then he didn't go over in the match. It's just so strange.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Something must have changed cause brocks mannerisms looked off. He was visually pissed about the whole thing.

Would like to know if breaking reigns open the hard way was booked that way or if brock went rogue. That match seems off

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
No chance I was sitting through 7 hours of this when I was only interested in one match. Had it on as background noise while doing other things though and tuned in when something caught my eye. Here's my thoughts.

The Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal

Caught the finish on twitter. I think we all saw the Bray/Matt alliance coming.

Cedric Alexander vs. Mustafa Ali [3.25 stars]
Didn't watch but heard it was good.

Women's Battle Royal
Didn't watch, but Naomi won? lulz.

The Miz vs. Seth Rollins vs. Finn Balor

Had this on as background noise. Was hoping Finn would win, but meh.

Charlotte vs Asuka
Didn't watch. Heard it was good though. How do you have Asuka lose and not do a Carmella cash in though?

Randy Orton vs. Jinder Mahal vs. Rusev vs. Bobby Roode
Shut this off after Rusev's entrance because I knew Jinder was winning and had no interest in that. Doesn't sound like I missed much though.

Kurt Angle and Ronda Rousey vs. HHH and Stephanie McMahon
Was tuning in and out of this. Rousey looked terrible in the beginning but got better as the match went on.

John Cena vs. The Undertaker
What the hell was even the point of this squash?

The Usos vs. The Bludgeon Brothers vs. The New Day
Didn't watch.

Daniel Bryan and Shane McMahon vs. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn
This was decent for what it was. I'm no Bryan mark though. I'm assuming the new GM just re-hires Owens/Zayn or they do a shakeup and go to RAW.

Alexa Bliss vs. Nia Jax
Piss break.

AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

The only match I was excited for and it disappointed. The Nakumura turn was an interesting swerve. I thought it would be AJ who'd turn.

The Bar vs. Braun Strowman and Nicholas
This was so f***ing awful and cringey. An opportunity for a Cass or Joe return or Lashley's return or an NXT debut, but nope we get some stupid kid that I thought was a girl and then a squash. Even Ellsworth would have been better.

Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns
Had ZERO interest is this as I figured it be a spamming of German Suplexes, Superman Punches and finisher kick outs with a Roman coronation at the end once again. Didn't even bother watching it. Apparently I was half right though after reading up on it. Surprised Lesnar won though. It was probably only done to prevent Roman getting booed out of the arena though. I'm sure Reigns will take the belt at the next PPV though and then Lesnar will leave.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They built up the f5 for a year to put Roman over when he kicked out but then he didn't go over in the match. It's just so strange.
And nobody reacted to it.

The crowd had already turned on the match and doing other shit in the stadium

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Are you serious? Awful take. Not the best but its far from worst.

HFboard is not exactly the hive for intellectual wrestling discussion I suppose.

I don't think that WM was any good, but I also think it's a hotter take to say WM25 is terrible. I implore people to watch it again. Hardy/Hardy wasn't bad and HBK/Taker was a WM saving 5 star match. The light/dark build was insane. The main events were meh but they weren't any worse than Nak/AJ and Lesnar/Reigns. Just boring.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
LMFAO so Vince had Brock go over after all. He didn't disappoint me. I knew he would spent a whole year setting this **** match up just he could go "AH HA GOTCHA!"

The booking decisions look like last minute calls to try and "keep the fans guessing". Asuka, Nak, no braun partner, and Reigns not winning. Makes no sense. Nobody wanted to see Reigns in that main event, but you might as well give him the moment.

I mean what.. are we going 5/5 next year so he can get his big moment #5? Just give it to him so we can all endure it and move on.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I got ambushed by a friend and went over to watch it, I really only was interested in Bryan's return (not his match) and AJ vs Nakamura. AJ and Nakamura have a history their previous match was a classic but then again almost every NJPW since wk10 has a classic, or two or three.

I was beyond disappointed in the match, they gave them no chance to pull off anything even remotely impressive, it was a dud, now I call it a dud because I mainly watch NJPW, PWG and sometimes ROH, NXT and other indies and tend to only watch matches I've heard great things about.

I rarely watch Wrestling live (hard to watch NJPW or PWG live) but yesterday I did and I can safely say, never again, not WWE at least, no chance. NXT...maybe? ROH...if the card looks amazing. But the WWE on their grandest night of the year once again proved to me why it's a mediocre product. How is it that NXT pulled a masterpiece and WM had duds, one after the other?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Honestly this was one of the better Wrestlemanias in recent memory but that's usually just because Wrestlemania sucks. This one had a pretty strong undercard but the big money matches all underdelivered.

Reactions: CPTN71

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I can't for the life of me come up with a good reason for the booking of last night's main event. If they only realized last week Roman was gonna get booed so they audibled they're too stupid to run a lemonade stand let alone a billion dollar company. So what the hell were the last four years about? And why keep that in the main event spot?

I don't care if he turns heel tonight and they say, "See? trust us," because they ruined--again--the main event of their biggest show of the year. HHH/Reigns was a worse match and a worse ending to the show, but it made sense when Reigns won. Last night Reigns had to win, either the boring stupid way, or by turning heel, which would have been awesome.

They got what they deserved with that match ("This is awful" was the most perfect chant possible there), and yet it still sucked. And I can't figure out why any of it happened.

Reactions: Pilky01

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
The matches were entertaining, but a lot of weird booking decisions. This seems to be tradition at this point. Looking forward to Raw tonight, I guess.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I don't understand Charlotte winning. I know undefeated streaks can become cumbersome and limit what you can do creatively, but it would have been fun to see Asuka carry that for another year and have someone finally top her at WrestleMania next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad