WWE United Kingdom (and Ireland) Championship Tourney

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well that's the championship of the universe.

This is just the championship of the U.K.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
A little while ago I posted about some behind the scenes things going on with UK wrestling in the news thread, and this show is in a direct response to it. I'll re-post it here:

Currently in the UK we're in a wrestling boom period with tons of top tier talent being produced, and great promotions doing really well. And on top of that, wrestling in general is bigger over here than in america.

Back in the day, World of Sport Wrestling was massive. The stars were house hold names, and there were local shows on every night. But there was a decline and it dropped off, then Hulkamania ran wild overhere just as much as it did in america and that killed it all off. The UK has been the WWE's territory ever since.

But now ITV is rebooting World of Sport, they've already taped the pilot that will air later this month. ITV is the second biggest TV channel here (second only to the BBC, both free TV so everyone watches them), and there will be a audience in the millions. It's very realistic for this show to have a bigger audience in the UK than the WWE does in america.

There are plans to take the show to series, but it's not a sure thing yet. It would be done similar to TNA's format, with bulk tapings. There is also talk of house shows is the TV series does well. The talent has already been sent contract giving ITV priority on their dates and exclusivity to them on TV (so they can do indies and streams, just no TV, like how TNA does).

But while ITV is aiming to lock talent up, WWE are going against them.

WWE are offering contracts to a bunch of UK guys. They're not performer or development contracts, but a different kind. WWE are basically giving them a small amount of money so that they can keep working on the indies instead of giving up wrestling to take normal jobs to support themselves. In exchange the talent won't work for ITV on their show, or bigger indies that have a streaming service. They're basically being WWE exclusive, with WWE having some control over their dates, in exchange for money to keep wrestling.

They've offered these deals to a bunch of guys, both known names and randoms, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The UK def has something good going on wrestling wise and i kinda disagree with the WWE territory claim

A friend of mine went over there to teach and she somehow got talked into going to an ICW show by friends she made. She doesn't like wrestling at all but she apparently had the time of her life. It looks like a really fun atmosphere from the small amounts i've watched.

I don't like the idea of WWE signing guys from there though. I feel like a legitimately good talent like Grado or Hendry would flounder in a crappy environment like that.

On topic, the belt looks nice, though i wonder why they just didn't revive the European title. Seems kinda pointless, though i guess the US title exists...

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Adam Pacitti of WCPW did an interview with Regal and apparently any stars signed will have no restrictions on what promotions they can appear for

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
That is one of the most beautiful belts i've ever seen. A throwback belt mixed with new era belts.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I'd love to see Grado but he's TNA property, no? Ditto Galloway. Would have loved to see him use this as a way back in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad