WWE: WWE Reportedly Purchasing TNA Video Library

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I was about to ask "who the **** funded BFG then?" but it all makes sense.

WWE gets what they want, and a wrestling company remains on TV. Not a smart investment for Corgan but I guess it's a clean slate.

And you better apologize, Bon. You're on my list now too.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
looking forward to the WWE retrospective . . . the best of Cheex

A 2 hour special debuting right after Raw

Cheex1.jpg

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I was about to ask "who the **** funded BFG then?" but it all makes sense.

WWE gets what they want, and a wrestling company remains on TV. Not a smart investment for Corgan but I guess it's a clean slate.

And you better apologize, Bon. You're on my list now too.

I think it's a smart investment for him as long as he follows through on the rebranding and goes the right direction. Getting the deals that TNA already has is valuable for someone looking to create a brand for himself. It's just that he's got to make it really clear that what his version of this company is going to be is vastly different both on and off the screen than what TNA was.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Smart move by Corgan imo.

Most important thing is he still gets the skeleton or so to speak.The TV deal, the contracts, etc. Hell, let WWE have the history. For all the good spots (AJ, Joe, etc) there's like 2 or 3 awful things (S.E.X, The Dupps, midgets, Anything remotely related to Russo, etc) people could point to.

Let them strip the soul of it and rebuild around guys like EC3, the broken Hardys, Lashley, etc.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
From my perspective, this works out for the best all around.

The TNA brand is dead, it's just been through too much to stand a chance. If you're rebranding, the library of a tainted brand is useless to you, so might as well let WWE get that to throw it up on the network for everyone's enjoyment.

Then for Corgan, he gets the wrestler and TV contracts and a headstart on a new promotion at a cheaper price than outright buying all of TNA.

Fans win as well because we get easy access to all TNA history on the network, and (hopefully) get a competent 'new' promotion with good groundwork laid out to start itself off.

Win/win/win.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Smart move by Corgan imo.

Most important thing is he still gets the skeleton or so to speak.The TV deal, the contracts, etc. Hell, let WWE have the history. For all the good spots (AJ, Joe, etc) there's like 2 or 3 awful things (S.E.X, The Dupps, midgets, Anything remotely related to Russo, etc) people could point to.

Let them strip the soul of it and rebuild around guys like EC3, the broken Hardys, Lashley, etc.

I would argue that the smart move would be for Corgan to strip out a lot of the higher cost veterans and start completely fresh, I mean without the library a lot of the vets are pretty meaningless.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just going to say "I told you so" in terms of who funded BFG. Vince does actually more good faith business than most probably will ever recognize him for.

Oct 18, 2011
everybody wins

WWE gets to make AJ Styles and Kurt Angle DVD's

Billy Corgan gets a company with a tv deal that he can rebrand

TNA gets DELETED

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
So, is Dixie still involved or is she finally out?
The current status is this (I think):

Dixie is majority owner
Corgan is president and trying to buy it
Some unknown external party has paid for the rest of the year's TV.
Aerolux and Fight Network are owed money for their investments, along with others.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
The current status is this (I think):

Dixie is majority owner
Corgan is president and trying to buy it
Some unknown external party has paid for the rest of the year's TV.
Aerolux and Fight Network are owed money for their investments, along with others.

Sounds like Corgan is trying to move on without Dixie, which is probably the smart move, but is there any reason (other than ego) that Dixie is still trying to hold onto the promotion?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Did Vince really find the takings though? Why would he still fund these tapings?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Did Vince really find the takings though? Why would he still fund these tapings?

Same reason he funded ECW a few times. If it makes sense business-wise, Vince tends to do it. The tape library gives him some revenue options down the road for guys like the Hardys, Angle, Styles, Samoa Joe, Bobby Roode, or anyone else they bring through that has an audience and travelled through TNA. And since it's going to be rebranded, they can do their standard rise and fall stuff and just make fun of it and sell that. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->