GDT: WWE Payback (May 1st, 2016) -- But whose side are they on!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Welcome to WWE Payback 2016, The Wyatt Family PPV!

WWE_Payback_%282016%29_poster.jpeg
(The Wyatts were meant to have a big match with the League of Nations, which would result in the League being broken up. But with Bray picking up an injury on the European tour, the match isn’t happening and the League broke up on Smackdown last week.)

WWE World Heavy Weight Championshio - Singles Match
QC9e94b.jpg

Roman Reigns vs AJ Styles
Roman Reigns defeated HHH to reclaim his title from the Authority, the next night on Raw he issued and open challenge and it was answered by AJ Styles, Chris Jericho, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn. A fatal four-way match between the four was was booked with the winner becoming number one contender.

Before the match Owens attacked Zayn backstage, taking him out of the match. Cesaro, making a surprise return from injury, replaced the injured Zayn. Styles won the match by pinning Jericho and became number one contender to Reigns’ title.

Whose side are they on!?
Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows made their surprise debuts by attacking The Usos after a match, before Roman Reigns made the save. They then attacked Reigns after he had been talking with Styles in the ring.

Both men are old friends of AJ Styles, and all three were members of Bullet Club together in NJPW. While Styles has openly called them friends, he denies that he had anything to do with the attacks. Reigns has made it clear that he believes that all three are in collusion.

WWE Women’s Championship - Singles Match
KEPzKmd.jpg

Charlotte w/ Ric Flair vs Natalya w/ Bret Hart
Charlotte defeated Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch (with an assist from her farther) at Wrestlemania, retiring the butterfly belt and becoming the first holding of the new Women’s Championship. On Raw Charlotte held a ceremony in the ring with the rest of the women’s roster.Her speech made them all turn their backs on her, but Natalya confronted Charlotte.

Natalya defeated Charlotte in a title match, but it was ruled a DQ due to Flair’s interference; despite Charlotte taping out to the Sharpshooter. Natalya was given a rematch, and will have Bret Hart in her corner to counter Flair.

WWE Intercontinental Championship - Singles Match
KUgQHa2.jpg

The Miz w/ Maryse vs Cesaro
Zack Ryder won a seven-man ladder match to win the Intercontinental Championship at Wrestlemania, but his reign was swiftly ended by Miz the next night on Raw after he won with help of a distraction from his wife Maryse.

Kevin Owens demanded his rematch for the title, but was denied. A match was then set up with fellow unpinned four-way competitor Cesaro to decide the number one contender to Miz’s title. Cesaro defeated Owens on Raw to book his match at Payback.

WWE United States Championship - Singles Match (Pre-Show)
AjAvIZG.jpg

Kalisto vs Ryback
After Kalisto defended his title against Ryback at Wrestlemania, Ryback managed to score a non-title victory over Kalisto on Smackdown. This earned him a rematch for the title at Payback.

WWE Tag Team Championship - Number One Contender Match
RnigWxX.jpg

Enzo Amore & Colin Cassady vs The Vaudevillians
New Day defended their titles vs the League of Nations on Raw, and a tournament was then set up to find a new contender for the titles. Enzo Amore & Colin Cassidy defeated The Ascension and The Dudley Boyz to reach the finals, while The Vaudevillians defeated Goldust & Fandango and The Usos.

A link to the full backet is here: Link.

Singles Match
tZZkRk6.jpg

Sami Zayn vs Kevin Owens
Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens have been feuding with each other since Owens join NXT back in 2014. Owens injured Zayn in a match to win the NXT Championship. Zayn made his return at the Royal Rumble eliminating Owens and costing him a chance to win the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. Zayn made his full time Raw debut by making the save for Neville while Owens was attacking him after a match. Owens, blaming Zayn for costing him his Intercontinental Championship. Owens attacked Zayn to prevent him from having a chance to compete in the four-way number one contender match. Zayn was given a chance to make the World Heavyweight Championship match a three-way, but was defeated by AJ Styles. A match was then made between Zayn and Owens at Payback.

Singles Match
vUCriVX.jpg

Dean Ambrose vs Chris Jericho
Chris Jericho’s segment, The Highlight Reel, was replaced by The Ambrose Asylum. After a match between Jericho and Sami Zayn ended in DQ, Kevin Owens and Dean Ambrose (who had been providing guest commentary) got involved. After Ambrose defeated Owens in a match, Jericho attacked Ambrose and a match was set between them for Payback.

Singles Match
kQd3QmC.jpg

Dolph Ziggler vs Baron Corbin
Baron Corbin won the André the Giant Memorial battle royal at Wrestlemania, and made his Raw debut the following night in a match against Dolph Ziggler. The mach went to a double count out. The pair clashed a few times in the following weeks, setting up the match at Payback.

Who will run Raw?
Wb6gmi1.jpg

Stephanie, Vince, and Shane McMahon
Despite Shane McMahon losing to The Undertaker at Wrestlemania, Vince McMahon gave Shane temporary control of the show for the month. Stephanie McMahon returned last week stating that at Payback Vince will decide who will control Raw for good, Shane or the Authority.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I mean... the card actually looks great. Should be a good wrestling night. I'll tune in.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I come into this PPV knowing nothing and haven't watched since WM. I'm actually kind of excited for this tonight. Stoked to see Cesaro back on the roster.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
With Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley, etc all back...I'm not sure I'll watch a WWE PPV live for the next couple months. Should be some good ring work on this card though.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I really like the look of this card, there should be a bunch of really good matches. The booking has also been very straight forward and logical, which is great too.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Looks like I'll be recording this one to watch Game 7 of the Raptors game. Card looks good, should be a decent PPV.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This show is taking a backseat to Sharks-Preds game two. Will watch after that's over though.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The wrestling will be good to great tonight, but I dont feel invested in any program right now. I feel WWE has let the storytelling aspect down. I don't feel the need to tune into anything.

We have a big decision with who is running Raw, but I feel it's tainted due to the stupid WM match with Taker and the stupid aftermath. And I absolutely hate Stephanie right now. We have the Bullet Club in full throttle but WWE hasn't really given me the need to watch. Just nothing really to grab a hold of and enjoy.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Watching the lead up to the matches actually makes them worse. If you just watch the matches at the PPV's it's almost equivalent to an interesting Raw back in the day. I just read the results to have an idea what is going on usually.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I predict "the bullet club" turns on AJ Styles and helps Roman win.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
I predict "the bullet club" turns on AJ Styles and helps Roman win.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

I have a convoluted theory that Reigns is going to join Gallows & Anderson... while Finn becomes the third member of the New Shield with Seth and Dean. AJ doesn't need a stable - he's super over on his own.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I just want Rollins back. I've been surprised how much my interest has waned with him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->