GDT: WWE NXT: TakeOver Philadelphia (27th January 2018) - Ciampa Watch

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yeah I will believe it when I see it. I mean I hope I am wrong. I really don't think I will be though.
I'm more worried about a guy like Johnny Wrestling - he's small, doesn't have a "gimmick" per se, and would need a bit of time to connect with the mainstream audience. Dream is an over the top character, which Vince loves, has an amazing physique, which Vince loves, is good on the mic, which Vince loves, and shows a ton of charisma in the ring, which Vince loves. He'll make it on the main roster when they decide to bring him up. I could see Dream being in NXT for a long time though, he's so young that they know they have time with him, and if he comes up after an NXT championship reign that would put the character over the top - but he's behind Aleistair Black and I think Adam Cole at least in terms of getting an NXT championship run, maybe behind guys like Killian Dane and Lars Sullivan as well (although I wouldn't put the belt on either of those two monsters at all, I don't see how either needs it for their main roster push/credibility).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
From Dave:

AOP v. Fish/O’Reilly ***1/2
Velveteen Dream v. Kassius Ohno **3/4
Ember Moon v. Shayna Baszler **3/4
Aleister Black v. Adam Cole ****1/4
Andrade Cien Almas v. Johnny Gargano *****

This is how I have it

AOP v. Fish/O’Reilly ***1/2
Velveteen Dream v. Kassius Ohno **3/4
Ember Moon v. Shayna Baszler ***1/4
Aleister Black v. Adam Cole ****1/2
Andrade Cien Almas v. Johnny Gargano *****

Main event was, like, the easiest one to grade. There’s no way that wasn’t the best match I had seen live. I watched it back just yesterday and felt just as hot for it as I did as when I was there. Mauro is like marking out during the match. Incredible stuff. And it was here in my hometown, that was special.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
agree, I have tuned out bigtime on the NXT Womens division

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
On the flip side, I think Moon is weirdly hated around here for no reason. She did a tremendous job selling, even into the women's rumble, and I enjoyed it. Thought it was enjoyable. Nothing special - but good.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Overall I’m a fan of Ember Moon.

Her match with Shayna though....yikes. Really really poor I thought. I thought her selling was too over the top.

I thought Dream and Ohno was better than it’s getting credit for here, but I’m a huge fan of Dream so I could be biased.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
On the flip side, I think Moon is weirdly hated around here for no reason. She did a tremendous job selling, even into the women's rumble, and I enjoyed it. Thought it was enjoyable. Nothing special - but good.
The Rumble is the first time I loved Ember Moon. She was fantastic there. I haven't liked her in NXT yet.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
My ratings again;

Authors of Pain vs. Undisputed Era
Rating: ****
Velveteen Dream vs. Kassius Ohno
Rating: ***1/2
Ember Moon vs. Shayna Bazsler
Rating: **3/4 (Rewatch: **1/2)
Adam Cole vs. Aleister Black
Rating: ****1/4
Johnny Gargano vs. Andrade Almas
Rating: *****

However, I did rewatch and moved the women's match to **1/2. Everything else I felt the same.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Always found her absolutely boring outside of one match with Asuka and a cool finisher.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I thought the Women’s match was really well done

I didn't think it was that bad either, considering the inexperience of Bayszler. She seems to be developing nicely though. Perhaps these two don't quite have the best in-ring chemistry so a triple threat or a fatal 4-way would be a better showcase for the division? Add Royce, Cross or Kairi into to the mix.

Last edited:

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
It was the correct match to have, but that kind of match is really hard to be great. I didn't think it was anything close to bad, I'd call it good.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I didn't think it was that bad either, considering the inexperience of Bayszler. She seems to be developing nicely though. Perhaps these two don't quite have the best in-ring chemistry so a triple threat or a fatal 4-way would be a better showcase for the division? Add Royce, Cross or Kairi into to the mix.

Every time they’ve put the multi-women match together, nobody was helped by it, including the champions. Just do another women’s match with a compelling storyline.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Becky vs Charlotte vs Sasha vs Bayley?
Yeah but the division was already strong and they were over. They did a 4-way in San Antonio and Houston and a triple threat in Chicago and it didn’t really showcase anybody.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad