GDT: WWE Hell in a Cell (8th October 2017) - But Jinder is Uncaged...

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Alvarez said The New Day vs. The Usos was scheduled to go 15 minutes but were told at the 15-minute mark that they can go another 10 minutes max.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Alvarez said The New Day vs. The Usos was scheduled to go 15 minutes but were told at the 15-minute mark that they can go another 10 minutes max.

Looking the time up on the Network, the show is 3h33. So even accounting for the bonus time the tag match got they must have planned to go long else were too. Which makes it surprising that they give that match 10mins extra on top of what was going to be a long show anyway.

And that kinda sucks 'cos I really don't enjoy those kind of matches, so I wasn't into it at all.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Yup. Thought about it. Raising my Usos vs. New Day match rating. I think I only have one match better than it this year and it was DIY vs. Authors of Pain vs. The Revival, but even that might be debatable.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Yup. Thought about it. Raising my Usos vs. New Day match rating. I think I only have one match better than it this year and it was DIY vs. Authors of Pain vs. The Revival, but even that might be debatable.

Naw, the triple threat elimination tag match is still better and MOTY right now

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Naw, the triple threat elimination tag match is still better and MOTY right now

Probably. Usos/New Day HIAC is the best main roster match of the year, though, and best HIAC match in a very, very long time.

Don't try and talk logic to MCG when the Usos are involved.

tenor.gif

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I think that might be considered the last good one, but there hasn't been a truly great HIAC match since Undertaker vs. Edge at Summerslam, imo. And before that, Batista vs. Undertaker, and HHH vs. Batista.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not needing the cell doesn't not make it great. The cell was a symbolic character in the story.

Reactions: ColePens

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Not needing the cell doesn't not make it great. The cell was a symbolic character in the story.
I said the story was great. I don't consider it one of the great HIAC matches, though, and like I said, it hasn't aged well.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Honestly, the first 2 hiac matches will never be topped. Taker/Shawn as a classic match in the cell and Foley/Taker as a car crash classic. I'll agree that quite a few since have been awesome matches but the bar was set insanely high from the start.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Honestly, the first 2 hiac matches will never be topped. Taker/Shawn as a classic match in the cell and Foley/Taker as a car crash classic. I'll agree that quite a few since have been awesome matches but the bar was set insanely high from the start.
I see you have also forgotten about the actual second Hell in a Cell match! A random Austin & Taker vs Mankind & Kane on an episode of Raw.

(I too had forgotten about it before it popped up during summer on the old Raw/Nitro re-watches that Alvarez does. I'm not even sure if I even knew about in the first place actually.)

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I see you have also forgotten about the actual second Hell in a Cell match! A random Austin & Taker vs Mankind & Kane on an episode of Raw.

(I too had forgotten about it before it popped up during summer on the old Raw/Nitro re-watches that Alvarez does. I'm not even sure if I even knew about in the first place actually.)

You are right. It was the go home Raw to KOTR iirc. Russo really couldn't help himself.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I honestly only remembered that Hell in a Cell match because of that WWE AE mode one year a while ago.

If I had to rank the top-10 HIAC matches today that I can remember, it's probably:

1) The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels - Badd Blood
2) The Undertaker vs. Mankind - King of the Ring
3) Triple H vs. Cactus Jack - No Way Out 2000
4) The Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar - No Mercy 2002
5) Triple H vs. Batista - Vengeance 2005
6) The Undertaker vs. Edge - Summerslam 2008
7) The Undertaker vs. Batista - Survivor Series 2007
8) The Usos vs. The New Day - Hell in a Cell 2017
9) The Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar - Hell in a Cell 2015
10) The Undertaker vs. Triple H - Wrestlemania 28

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The HBK/Taker one may never be topped due to how they used the cell. It had so much meaning and Shawn sold the hell out of it. Taker used it like a savage. It was such an unreal moment. And of course the spots in Taker/Mankind SHOULD never be topped because quite honestly Mic could have died. That was very unsafe.

Pretty solid list. I still think HHH/Taker at WM28 should be higher than 10.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I remember Taker/Lesnar 2015 being pretty gosh darn good for a PG era HiaC match. Had some blood (which really helps in a cell match thats supposed to be WWE's big bad dangerous match)

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I remember Taker/Lesnar 2015 being pretty gosh darn good for a PG era HiaC match. Had some blood (which really helps in a cell match thats supposed to be WWE's big bad dangerous match)
I thought the same. Not saying it was the best, but it exceeded my expectations... especially when you consider Takers age.

Reactions: The Gongshow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad