GDT: WWE Greatest Royal Rumble (27th April 2018) - No Girls Allowed!

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Being said Sami wasn't allowed into the country. This show is the most sleazy disgusting thing this company has ever done. Worse than the Melanie Pillman interview the day after Brian died. Worse than continuing a show after Owen was killed in the ring. Worse than the crass exploitation of Eddie Guerrero's death. Worse than airing a thing with Undertaker inspired by Islamic terrorists beheading a journalist on the day of a terrorist atrocity in London. This is the absolute gutter.
No way is this the sleaziest thing they’ve ever done. No chance.

As for the last one you mentioned, WWE’s hands were so tied because of the terrorist attack on that day that there was nothing they could do aside from completely not airing an entire episode of Smackdown. It was too late to edit out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A lot of those things were just tone-deaf. This was show was not the same thing.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
A lot of those things were just tone-deaf. This was show was not the same thing.

This was the company ignoring principle and turning a blind eye for a gigantic payday.

It theoretically could be bigger because of how badly it stomps all over their major PR marketing, and makes them look like giant hypocrites.

Dave touched on it in bits and pieces in a bunch of tweets, though his choice of words were not ideal (he can really be oblivious).

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
This was the company ignoring principle and turning a blind eye for a gigantic payday.

It theoretically could be bigger because of how badly it stomps all over their major PR marketing, and makes them look like giant hypocrites.

Dave touched on it in bits and pieces in a bunch of tweets, though his choice of words were not ideal (he can really be oblivious).
Okay. But Saudi Arabia IS changing. It's not going to happen overnight. It's going to very slow. These are values and beliefs that are centuries old.

Hell, things aren't even perfect in North America.. We're just judging them because we're further along.

If it gets a point where things stop changing at all, they're going to lose a lot of support.

WWE is surely doing this for the money. But they're also doing it to take some credit in helping Saudi Arabia change.

If in 3 or 4 years, we don't see women competing, the backlash will be to severe to ignore. But right now, a lot of people understand you can't change everything in a few months.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Okay. But Saudi Arabia IS changing. It's not going to happen overnight. It's going to very slow. These are values and beliefs that are centuries old.

I'm obviously not vastly well informed on everything going on in Saudi Arabia, but the information/notion i've gotten over the last couple years is the want to change and adapt with time. Women being able to drive, entertainment allowed to be attended, etc. It's all moving in a way it should be. It's still so damn far away, but if they are progressing to the right spot, then i'm happier. I still hate to see it even has to be this way, but i will celebrate even the minor win for women and hope 5-10 years we see a women's main event in Saudi Arabia. Unlikely but if we can progress forward, we all win.

And just for the sake of keeping this thread normal - please let's stay in line with wrestling/culture as opposed to political. If it gets too political, i will have to delete the posts.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
buckle up people:

so according to this tweet from the governing sports authority of saudi arabia, it says:

"The General Sport Authority would like to apologize to the viewers and attendees of last night's WWE event that took place in Jeddah, over the indecent scene involving women that appeared as an ad before a segment. It would like to confirm it's total disapproval of this, in the shadow of its commitment to eliminate anything that goes against the communities values.
The authority has made sure to ban showing of any segment that involves women wrestling or any scenes related to it, and stipulated that to the company (WWE). The authority also disapproved any promotional stuff with pictures or videos showing women in an indecent way, and emphasized on commitment of this rule. And it's a commitment that the authority would still commit to forever in all of it's events and programs."

so there it is; Vince needs to make a decision right now cuz women talent wont tolerate and sponsors are gonna rage.

Last edited:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
buckle up people:

so according to this tweet from the governing sports authority of saudi arabia, it roughly says:

women will never wrestle in saudi arabia due to the indecency shown last night by the women. also they never will be shown either, or again on television.

i didnt translate this.. but in the comments you can click and see where its going.

so apparently the video packages we got on tv were shown on the stadium, so they got mad at the Dual PPV song were it features the stars singing and dancing in their gear.
and some locals were mad that their women was seeing half naked men. (what were they thinking?)

so there it is; Vince needs to make a decision right now cuz women talent wont tolerate and sponsors are gonna rage.

Okay so i'm not in the know of who is pushing these new changes going forward but of course it was going to get backlash (no pun intended). It's the first one. It was going to get shit. Of course it was. Just like it did in America at one time.

All I want to see is year after year we get improvement. SO far, it's happening in Saudi Arabia. But did you really think everyone was just going to accept it? Hell no. The moment at the end w/ Vince/Strowman/whoever the SA guy was - it looked like a success. But of COURSE it was going to be challenged.

**Once again - let's keep this to wrestling only**

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i put the real translation on the tweet on the original post.

again to keep it wrestling, i dont think the talent is gonna tolerate it too long. decisions need to be made soon.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

again to keep it wrestling, i dont think the talent is gonna tolerate it too long. decisions need to be made soon.

That's an internet reaction. Let's see where it progresses over time. If steps are made forward, then it continues. And if they don't then there is a time to re-assess the situation.

Demanding an instant change is just waaaaaaay too basic of a thought.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

I said this before... Everyone is flipping out over women not being able to compete.

They're at home, being paid, enjoying a rare weekend off. They probably care a lot less than the internet lol

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I said this before... Everyone is flipping out over women not being able to compete.

They're at home, being paid, enjoying a rare weekend off. They probably care a lot less than the internet lol
Meltzer has said the thing about all the women being paid as a make good isn't true as far as he knows.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
buckle up people:

so according to this tweet from the governing sports authority of saudi arabia, it says:

"The General Sport Authority would like to apologize to the viewers and attendees of last night's WWE event that took place in Jeddah, over the indecent scene involving women that appeared as an ad before a segment. It would like to confirm it's total disapproval of this, in the shadow of its commitment to eliminate anything that goes against the communities values.
The authority has made sure to ban showing of any segment that involves women wrestling or any scenes related to it, and stipulated that to the company (WWE). The authority also disapproved any promotional stuff with pictures or videos showing women in an indecent way, and emphasized on commitment of this rule. And it's a commitment that the authority would still commit to forever in all of it's events and programs."

Gotta get it to catch on like the Moolah thing did.

What specifically was the spot?

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
That's an internet reaction. Let's see where it progresses over time. If steps are made forward, then it continues. And if they don't then there is a time to re-assess the situation.

Demanding an instant change is just waaaaaaay too basic of a thought.
Something, something, "I ain't gonna play Sun City"...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They probably still wouldn't care. It's a weekend off.
Most of them were tweeting pictures of them watching the show, so there isn't any obvious evidence of objections.

Keep in mind that with Vince and everyone schmoozing around with royalty, that it meant Stephanie couldn't be there. And god damn, they make sure she's seen any time they can.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Most of them were tweeting pictures of them watching the show, so there isn't any obvious evidence of objections.

Keep in mind that with Vince and everyone schmoozing around with royalty, that it meant Stephanie couldn't be there. And god damn, they make sure she's seen any time they can.
If any of them uttered even a single discouraging word they would be in ROH a few months from now. They aren't stupid, they know the deal here.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If any of them uttered even a single discouraging word they would be in ROH a few months from now. They aren't stupid, they know the deal here.
They don't have to utter a word, but they can not prove to people they were still watching the show.

And I'm sure a bunch of them appreciated the entire weekend off as well.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
Gotta get it to catch on like the Moolah thing did.

What specifically was the spot?

the dual brand ppv clip were they show them singing and dancing in their gear.
cant remember if they were more, but everything they showed on tv was shown to the audience. (except maybe during the prayer)

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Bologna lol

Maybe if it was like Alicia Fox or something.
So it might not happen that fast, they would just get buried in the booking and then be gone a year from now. Do you have any idea just how petty and vindictive this company is? They tried to do punishment booking to freaking Steve Austin at the height of his popularity (which caused him to just walk out), you think they won't do that to any frickin woman on the roster?

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
So was the finish of Brock vs Roman actually botched?

I still don't get how they would spin Lesnars back hitting the floor first as a case for him winning. He was still technically on the cage and not directly on the mat. Secondly, don't the rules state that the winner must have both feet on the mat before the other competitor? I mean, Reigns clearly touched both feet first.

Sorry if this was discussed live, I'm late to the party on this one.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

I still don't get how they would spin Lesnars back hitting the floor first as a case for him winning. He was still technically on the cage and not directly on the mat. Secondly, don't the rules state that the winner must have both feet on the mat before the other competitor? I mean, Reigns clearly touched both feet first.

The referee is walking by saying Brock's feet hit first (which clearly was not the case as you noted).

There's no good reason why the rule has to be exclusive to the feet as long as you're out of the cage and on the floor and not touching the floor with only your hands. Getting way too technical, in a finish like that, Brock should have won on the technicality.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne

The spot wasn't botched (probably).

How the finish goes is Reigns spears Lesnar in front of the gimmicked section of cage. The cage "breaks" and they fall outside. Lesnar is pushed out first, so he wins the match. The end.

The problem comes when you try and put technical rules to it as they don't exist. They're all made up randomly and changes from match to match, so they're meaningless. So by thinking about them you're just making a mess out of something that is really simple, first one out wins.

The only time you should consider technical rules as being important is when WWE are doing a storyline that explicitly about a rule and they tell you about it in a promo. At which point you just accept what they are saying is true, and it exists for that program (after the story is done, go back to ignoring it).

So unless they are going to do a storyline about it you should just forget about it. They don't write to technical rules, so you shouldn't watch to technical rules.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad