GDT: WWE Backlash (6th May 2018)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Oh god, more of this crap then. Soon every show will be 7-11:30 and Summerslam, Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania will be 6-8 hours.
Wrestlemania already is 6-8 hours. The last 2 years it went over 7

Decided to watch the main event... Maybe I'm a masochist or something...

1. Are they really fooling anybody when they blatantly turn up Roman's music and turn down the audience?

2. Somebody tell Michael Cole that when 85/15 doesn't classify you as a "Polarizing figure".

3. If you're going to hate on Roman for that match, you can't not hate on Joe as well. Joe spent 10 minutes applying rest holds. Realistically we know both are way, WAY better than that, so it's likely the fault of whatever moron produced it.

4. Speaking of the moron producer, the only sense I can make of that match layout is that they thought Joe doing 10 minutes of rest holds would wear the audience down so much that they'd pop when Roman made his comeback just because something was happening. That in itself is completely non-sensical.

You can’t blame Joe for sucking when he was booked that way by the agents and producers. Joe was still very good for being put in a position to not be.

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Wrestlemania already is 6-8 hours. The last 2 years it went over 7

You can’t blame Joe for sucking when he was booked that way by the agents and producers. Joe was still very good for being put in a position to not be.
6-8 not including pre-show lol

Watch next years pre-show start at 3 or something ridiculous.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Meltzer says Alexa hurt her left shoulder last night on one of the spots where she got thrown around.

Oct 18, 2011
Pretty much all the reviews have been extremely negative...I didn't watch the whole show but ..

CARMELLA BEAT CHARLOTTE? WTF was the point of Asuka losing to her if she's going to lose to f***ing Carmella?

And then Bobby Roode dancing? Who wants to see that?

The more I think about it the worse Joe looks too, his comeback match, he attacks Roman before it starts, the announcers point out. how Roman can't be 100% and Joe doesn't get his heat back after the match

The announcers did put Joe over the entire time but it sure feels like it was to portray Roman as super Cena, Roman nearly being put to sleep and then instantly becoming Superman is something that just doesn't help him with the fans, we all know it's a work but it insults our intelligence

It seemed like whoever produced the match, their goal was for Joe not to get cheered but it torpedoed the entire fight

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Didn't watch but from what I can tell from the feedback...

Seth Rollins is the greatest (and on his hottest run with the company) but almost everybody else sucks.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Asuka lost her streak because they couldn’t book her

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
As I’ve said I like Carmella but that was booked so so bad. She should not be beating Charlotte clean she should have gotten DQd or had major interference from someone.

Didn’t understand that at all.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Carmella’s biggest problem is that she’s afraid to get hit. Which is very bad if you want to be a wrestler.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Meltzer says Alexa hurt her left shoulder last night on one of the spots where she got thrown around.

The one slow mo they showed up her being suplexed, I think from the corner, looked like a really rough landing. She just looks way too f***ing small to be tossed around like that.

I will almost certainly be cancelling my WWE Network subscription later this month. I may hold out for 1 more PPV because I want to enjoy this stuff, but that was really bad.

The AJ/Nak match, which I hated and thought was awful at WM, was actually very good, and then they end it with a double nut-shot count out?

WWE is too stupid to give money to, even if its just for nostalgia. I can only watch the Monday Night Wars so many times....

Last edited:

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Odd show from the looks and sounds of it...glad I didn't sit through all of it. I'm a bit irritated with another garbage finish with AJ-Nakamura after the repeated ref mix-ups with AJ-Owens. There's not a lot of closure to some quality feuds because they don't know how book a satisfying finish to a big match. What is a big match in WWE these days anyway?

For this being the first of the brand-blended PPV...not off to a good start. I just never liked how they booked this show right after Mania if we were supposed to be invested in the GRR.

Tonight and tomorrow will hopefully restore my faith in the current product. Post-Mania, it's been crap other than Seth's amazing work and I love the revised Smackdown roster. We still haven't seen Almas or Sanity debut either. I'm a bit concerned that Joe loses a bit of steam considering he's talked a lot of noise and hasn't done anything. I'd be alright with Joe getting into the WWE title feud because I can't take another match revolving around nut shots or count-outs...as much as I like heel Nakamura.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Meltzer just said on the Agnew show executives at WWE are getting bonuses for the more hours subscribers watch.

This explains this crap tonight.

It explains the crap for the last 15 years.

The worst decision Vince has made in terms of product quality was going public in the stock market. He made a bunch of cash off it, but has paid a far greater cost.

He cant do any long programs anymore. No longer can he do a multi year build or a slow burn. Everything has to be immediate and over in 2 months. This is because he can never afford a dip in ratings or revenue because he has to answer to the shareholders now instead of just himself.

It's also the reason he never turned Cena heel and is refusing to turn Roman heel now. Cant afford to sacrifice the merch sales for the good of the booking

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
It explains the crap for the last 15 years.

The worst decision Vince has made in terms of product quality was going public in the stock market. He made a bunch of cash off it, but has paid a far greater cost.

He cant do any long programs anymore. No longer can he do a multi year build or a slow burn. Everything has to be immediate and over in 2 months. This is because he can never afford a dip in ratings or revenue because he has to answer to the shareholders now instead of just himself.

It's also the reason he never turned Cena heel and is refusing to turn Roman heel now. Cant afford to sacrifice the merch sales for the good of the booking

Too much TV is why you have to do things like the double count out and keep that feud going. Too much time to fill.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yeah that is probably the biggest problem I have noticed since I started following again.

These feuds go absolutely nowhere. What is so hard about establishing a "#1 contender" sort of order.....why do we see the same people fight for the same belt in multiple consecutive PPVs?

Has WWE given up any semblance of competition kayfabe?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Pretty much all the reviews have been extremely negative...I didn't watch the whole show but ..

CARMELLA BEAT CHARLOTTE? WTF was the point of Asuka losing to her if she's going to lose to ****ing Carmella?

And then Bobby Roode dancing? Who wants to see that?

The more I think about it the worse Joe looks too, his comeback match, he attacks Roman before it starts, the announcers point out. how Roman can't be 100% and Joe doesn't get his heat back after the match

The announcers did put Joe over the entire time but it sure feels like it was to portray Roman as super Cena, Roman nearly being put to sleep and then instantly becoming Superman is something that just doesn't help him with the fans, we all know it's a work but it insults our intelligence

It seemed like whoever produced the match, their goal was for Joe not to get cheered but it torpedoed the entire fight

That drove me nuts, watching that turn of events. Joe has Roman locked in with the hold, the camera is zoomed in on Roman fading, the announcers say he's pretty much out and done, and then suddenly it's all engines go and he roars back for the win? Come on. That doesn't happen, the ref has stopped matches earlier whenever Joe's applied that same hold. Maybe Roman missed his cue to fight out of it, or sold it too much. But one spear is all it takes after nearly getting choked out? It's embarrassing.

On a side note, would've been really cool seeing Joe hit a musclebuster on Roman. But we can't have nice things.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Carmella is the worst. I felt bad for Charlotte having to hear her constantly yelling into her ear with her voice. So, so bad. She needs to drop that belt ASAP.

Didn't watch but from what I can tell from the feedback...

Seth Rollins is the greatest (and on his hottest run with the company) but almost everybody else sucks.
I dunno which Seth is better - this one, or his Universal Title run and build where he was tearing the house down with Neville, Ambrose, Cena, etc.

Probably this one but it’s really close. It’s amazing what one move (curb stomp) can do to someone’s confidence.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
With Carmella...she's definitely more character than wrestler which makes her an effective heel. She's like (early) Miz. She'll get her time with the belt but you'll be glad when she finally loses.

Alexa was like that early on until her mic work really elevated and she got a lot of better in the ring. She was a more credible heel because she could still take care of herself. Carmella shouldn't be winning clean until she's a more convincing worker.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
I'm still annoyed how Corey constantly alludes to calling the curb stomp a blackout, yet Cole refuses to call it anything but "the stomp"

And when I say Cole, I mean Vince in his ear

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
In watching the reviews of this show - the #1 common denominator is bad booking and A TON of rest holds in each match. :laugh: I agree.

Last edited:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Didn't expect anything more than what we got in the Roman/Joe match. Joe has been talking about how Roman can't beat Brock for weeks and now Roman goes over Joe yet again making Joe look even worse for ripping Roman for not being able to beat Brock. Lazy booking, and it's done solely to prop up WWE's portrayal of Roman Reigns and is also done at the expense of Joe. The comparison made earlier in this thread between Bray Wyatt and Samoa Joe is apt. Joe can look like gold until he runs into the "Big Dawg" and will never be able to look better than Reigns.

Also, don't think that WWE hasn't blatantly kept the title on Lesnar so that he can beat Punk's title reign. As soon as Lesnar goes past 434 days, I fully expect Roman to take the Universal title.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I didn't think it was as bad of a PPV as most others seem to:

1. Rollins/Miz was excellent. Getting one excellent match out of a B/C-level PPV already elevates the event to at least an average rating.
2. Bliss/Jax. I honestly thought this was the best they could possibly do. I'd even call it a decent match other than the ending and then Jax ad-libbing a poorly delivered promo.
3. Orton/Hardy. I skipped this match to take a shower.
4. Carmella/Flair. Not a good match, but I don't expect to see a good Charlotte match when she is the one tasked with carrying the load.
5. Elias and Company. I loved the whole segment, so what are you gonna do about it?
6. Nakamura/Styles. I liked it much better than the WM match. Didn't mind the ending either, even though it just means that this remains an open feud.
7. Tag Team match. A little below expectations. I don't like the Owens/Zayn break-up angle.
8. Reign/Joe. I dislike both of these wrestlers, so you can imagine that I wouldn't care much for the match. Weak billing for a main event.

Given the scheduling circumstances with two huge PPVs occurring less than a month before this, the limited building of these matches made them seem inconsequential. They probably should have featured the women a little more and/or made an NXT callup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->