GDT: WWE Backlash (6th May 2018)

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Welcome to WWE: Backlash, the “first multi-man match era” PPV!

BackLASH%282k18%29.jpg

WWE World Championship - No DQ Match
20180424_BackLash_AjStylesNakamura--cb8c1dc2b09841e9dac01ca6e26e15d6.jpg

AJ Styles (c) vs Shinsuke Nakamura

WWE Raw Women’s Championship - Singles Match
20180423_Backlash_NiaBliss--fd852942cf78fc04885e140b0d5abcf9.jpg

Nia Jax (c) vs Alexa Bliss

WWE Smackdown Women’s Championship - Singles Match
20180424_BackLash_Carmella_Charlotte--2be9291f925a09f5da09a5db47b19d05.jpg

Carmella (c) vs Charlotte Flair

WWE Intercontinental Championship - Singles Match
20180409_Backlash_SethMiz--b90cb3a5288569cc29675dbba0970035.jpg

Seth Rollins (c) vs The Miz

WWE United States Championship - Singles Match
20180501_BackLash_HardyOrton--344e9a9dc6d8a97a6d89a34be7413e24.jpg

Jeff Hardy (c) vs Randy Orton

Singles Match
20180409_Backlash_RomanSamoa--b17d2eb06e7fab2bccac8e234d5de6df.jpg

Roman Reigns vs Samoa Joe

Singles Match
20180424_BackLash_Bryan_Cass--7bb6613f1a896049bde36587fa168a46.jpg

Daniel Bryan vs Big Cass

Tag Match
20180430_BackLash_Braun_Bobby_KO_Sami--8ada15f586bdf9225dbd08a3054132f3.jpg

Bobby Lashley & Braun Strowman vs Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn

Singles Match - Pre-Show
20180504_Backlash_Kickoff_BayleyRiot--b4dca07a34e1932918f009704fa87b54.jpg

Bayley vs Ruby Riott

Last edited:

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
WWE really need to get better photoshop guys...

I expect there'll be more matches announced tonight on Smackdown, and nothing has been put on the pre-show yet either.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
bruh how is there ANOTHER PPV this week

card is trash too

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
The context of the Joe-Roman match makes even less sense as we got further away from the post-Mania Raw. Joe switches shows and he and Roman both don't win their title matches in Jeddah and they're just doing some random ass grudge match now? I would've been fine if they didn't do this match at all and save it for whenever they're on the same show again. It just doesn't make any storyline sense unless Brock crashes the match.

AJ-Nakamura III seems rushed but given the heat of the feud and the non-finish in Jeddah, you probably want to pay off this first chapter. Move AJ onto a feud with Joe or someone else and perhaps re-introduce Nakamura into the title picture when we get into SummerSlam season. I have to think Nakamura wins the title eventually. This new character seems to have a lot more invested in it than his less exciting face persona.

The main event scene on Smackdown has so much potential and we've not even seen Almas and Sanity on the show. I'd say save them for next week after this slapped-together show happens. It feels like we're stuck waiting for GRR and Backlash to get out of the way to start new feuds on each show. This has been a stunted few weeks of programming.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Wow, eight dumb singles matches and a tag squash match. Awful card.

- AJ/Nak is based around Nak addicted to hitting AJ in the nuts.
- Alexa called Nia fat.
- MitB cash-in rematch. Fine.
- Seth/Miz is good except they’re not on the same brand anymore.
- Jeff and Orton based on interrupting each other’s entrances.
- Roman and Joe because why not.
- Cass attacked DB for no reason so yeah let’s do this.
- Squash tag match with zero feud or heat between the teams.

This is horrendous. It’s a glorified two day house show card. No build up to any of these feuds, we have zero reason to be invested in the outcome of these matches. Going to be 4 hours of 15 minute passionless singles matches. Yay.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
That Asuka loss at WM has made her seriously one of the most unnecessary wrestlers in the WWE. There just is nothing special to her. And Carmella suuuuuucks.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Asuka's streak died because they want to use her in trios matches, since she is the first person in WWE history where losing tag matches counts towards an undefeated streak, even though she lost tag matches during her streak. And a battle royal.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They killed her streak because,Vince likes shock value over telling stories.

You badly hurt Asuka, and it did nothing for Charlotte as she simply lost the belt the next night.

Shock value and to get the belt on Carmella, who is awful?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Should have shifted Carmella to Raw, cash in mid-match. Asuka runs SD for a little bit after you BUILD to the streak ending.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
They killed her streak because,Vince likes shock value over telling stories.

You badly hurt Asuka, and it did nothing for Charlotte as she simply lost the belt the next night.

Shock value and to get the belt on Carmella, who is awful?

I think it's just so funny NXT is WWE.

NXT does this with Almas/Gargano/Ciampa: The build was a lazy heel who found a purpose with his manager and became dominant. A down and out face who rebuilt himself over a long time. They have a 5 star match (Flair/Asuka was a damn good match, too). Almas wins - he is elevated even higher. Gargano came up short, but still mega over. Ciampa comes out and murders him and sets up a feud everyone wants to see.

We just elevated 3 people to crazy main event status. All booked strong. All booked incredible.

WWE has a streak in Asuka, a dominant wrestler in Flair, and the worst MITB winner out there. If Asuka won in that same match, she's elevated due to her streak/win. Flair is elevated for putting on a 4+ star women's match. IF they had a legit contender come out and attack Asuka the next night, we could have had 3 elevated stars.

Now we have 3 wrestlers who look like shit. Asuka has nothing. Flair got beat by an awful wrestler. And nooooobody cares about Carmella.

Reactions: Emperoreddy

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I think it's just so funny NXT is WWE.

NXT does this with Almas/Gargano/Ciampa: The build was a lazy heel who found a purpose with his manager and became dominant. A down and out face who rebuilt himself over a long time. They have a 5 star match (Flair/Asuka was a damn good match, too). Almas wins - he is elevated even higher. Gargano came up short, but still mega over. Ciampa comes out and murders him and sets up a feud everyone wants to see.

We just elevated 3 people to crazy main event status. All booked strong. All booked incredible.

WWE has a streak in Asuka, a dominant wrestler in Flair, and the worst MITB winner out there. If Asuka won in that same match, she's elevated due to her streak/win. Flair is elevated for putting on a 4+ star women's match. IF they had a legit contender come out and attack Asuka the next night, we could have had 3 elevated stars.

Now we have 3 wrestlers who look like ****. Asuka has nothing. Flair got beat by an awful wrestler. And nooooobody cares about Carmella.
HHH vs. Vince booking.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You can do so many cool things with DB..and you put him with Cass.
Yeah, I know people are going to complain about this, but 6 weeks ago they didn't even know Danielson would be on the roster. Upon being cleared it was made known that they didn't have a plan for him.

People wanted him back, you got him.

Reactions: Fro

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It is just crazy how different the)th booking is.

Also a shame how badly they
Keep wasting the women. Think about how crazy over a lot of these women were in NXT.

Now we are stuck with Carmella and Jax .

Reactions: ColePens
Oct 18, 2011
Yeah, I know people are going to complain about this, but 6 weeks ago they didn't even know Danielson would be on the roster. Upon being cleared it was made known that they didn't have a plan for him.

People wanted him back, you got him.
Yes. I want him to face good opponents. Not a guy with a saggy chest and no history of being a decent singles wrestler.

You got all this great talent...and you put him with f***ing Cass.

Not AJ, not Joe, not Orton, not Nakamura, not Jeff Hardy, Not Rusev.... f***ing big Cass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->