GDT: WTFVision: Your New Jersey Devils (7-10-2) vs. New York Rangers (9-9-3), 1 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I would be really concerned if they get jumpy after a covid shortened season.

That screams panic to me like what Montreal did with Julian.

Plus you would think after they fired Shero, if they wanted to go in a more win-now direction they wouldn't have hired his mini-me and started rebuild 2.0 instead of being more overtly aggressive.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The flip side of that is he only had a 1 year deal for the GM position until the Pens job opened. Add in the stuff the went on with Chayka and there is probably some smoke that ownership viewed (and maybe still does) Fitz as a stop gap gm.

Reactions: glenwo2

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
I would never dare consider firing Ruff. Not sure that was being discussed.

Its either a locker room problem or they simply lack the talent. I think its a combination more than some may want to admit to themselves

Poor locker rooms dont always equal toxicity. Sometimes the guys are good but the proper attitude Isnt there; this could be attributed to Hynes' time and his effect on some veterans IMO

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
What’s with this notion that Bratt should get top guaranteed top #6 minutes ? The guy can’t stick on the first two lines, regardless of the coach behind the bench.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a useful player but at this point in his career, he hasn’t proved to be a legit top #6 forward.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The flip side of that is he only had a 1 year deal for the GM position until the Pens job opened. Add in the stuff the went on with Chayka and there is probably some smoke that ownership viewed (and maybe still does) Fitz as a stop gap gm.

Maybe on the latter but Chayka is another 'process' GM so I doubt that would represent any big change of philosophy either. It's just more problematic cause Fitz at least seems to know what he's doing and Chyaka's a clown who tries to skirt contracts and the rules on top of it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

He has a one year deal as GM, he has a multi year deal with the team though.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I would never dare consider firing Ruff. Not sure that was being discussed.

Its either a locker room problem or they simply lack the talent. I think its a combination more than some may want to admit to themselves

Poor locker rooms dont always equal toxicity. Sometimes the guys are good but the proper attitude Isnt there; this could be attributed to Hynes' time and his effect on some veterans IMO
I think it's lack of talent, but not as much as lack of organizational vision and philosophy...what is this team? What is it trying to be? Can anyone come close to answering that? This team seems lost, wondering in the wilderness.

It's mind boggling how we couldn't add a guy like Kulikov to this defense once in the last 5 years....and it's mind boggling how needed that role was. Kulikov isn't anything special in the grand scheme of things...but that role was never a priority... that's philosophy... that's been the problem here in my opinion. And that is just one example... It's a directionless organization right now

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
That’s exactly what they’re doing BTW.

Our vets are playing like shit and everyone is jumping on board for the ride. When you’re getting your ass handed to you, by your rival, you shouldn’t be laughing it up with your opponent.

This core of veterans is utter garbage and I’d start to clear some guys out, yesterday. Leave this team to hungry kids who will compete for their roster spot night in, night out.

f*** Subban, Palmieri, Gusev, Johnson, Zajac, Butcher, etc. I’d send a message and scratch all those guys who are giving us a half ass effort since day #1.

It’ll never happen, I know that, but that’s what I would like to see.

Who was laughing it up?

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
I would never dare consider firing Ruff.

I would never dare consider hiring Ruff in the first place.
I actually liked Alain Nasreddine at the end last year. You could feel he was like a father figure, and their record was better. It was a mistake to replace him.

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
I would never dare consider hiring Ruff in the first place.
I actually liked Alain Nasreddine at the end last year. You could feel he was like a father figure, and their record was better. It was a mistake to replace him.
Their record was better because Blackwood was giving them insanely good goaltending. Ruff was winning this season too when Mac was playing at an elite level.

Camille the Eel

Their record was better because Blackwood was giving them insanely good goaltending. Ruff was winning this season too when Mac was playing at an elite level.
No doubt about it that Blackwood has been shaky. The first couple of goals yesterday and Rooney’s too - some of those are saves he’s making in the first two Rags games.

The first Rags goal, like a couple against the Caps (Vrana), five hole. Guys are looking for that gap between the legs now. Blackwood is lanky and athletic and needs to be more compact in his technique.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I think it's lack of talent, but not as much as lack of organizational vision and philosophy...what is this team? What is it trying to be? Can anyone come close to answering that? This team seems lost, wondering in the wilderness.

It's mind boggling how we couldn't add a guy like Kulikov to this defense once in the last 5 years....and it's mind boggling how needed that role was. Kulikov isn't anything special in the grand scheme of things...but that role was never a priority... that's philosophy... that's been the problem here in my opinion. And that is just one example... It's a directionless organization right now
Was there ever a dman like Kulikov that was available that didn't cost a ton of $ or draft capital? We can say he's nothing special and easy to find but reality is, guys that can play D, add some physicality and crease clearing ability AND skate are not easy to acquire unless you draft them. Ironically we loaded up on these type of Dmen in the draft past few years but it takes time.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The problem with the defense is that we don't have a middle pairing. Smith-Severson is a very good top pairing, but giving those guys too many minutes is begging for trouble. Smith is great but still an inexperienced rookie, and while Severson has been excellent this season we all know how mistake prone he can be. Kulikov-Subban would be a fine 3rd pairing but both will get eaten alive with more minutes.

Murray should in theory be fine on the middle pairing but he's looked like ass since play resumed and is not in the lineup. So instead we're stuck with Butcher who is dumb and can't skate, and then we just don't have any passable options for the right side.

Reactions: Azathoth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad