Shanahan lives in New York?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Pick your organization, whether in business or government and there are lots people getting paid for an hour's work while only actually providing a billed 15 minutes per hour and who live in one state/province/country, while serving on a board located hundreds of miles away.

Now...would we care if were constant contenders?

Right. We wouldn't. And to the flipside, if we were, might want that model going forward if it meant the club was succeeding.

I think Pelley's presence at the presser indicates that Shanahan's situation isn't nearly as secured (apart from his present contract) as some inferred. I thought it was interesting that Pelley repeated that he'd only had four weeks to assess the club's management structure. In those four weeks he noted great chemistry and unity between Shanahan and Treliving.

It reads to me like Pelley will be keeping a close watch on results and performance and time.

Darkest before the dawn - here endeth the thread.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
You think Shanahan commutes from NY to Toronto? Really?

I don't see how it matters either, probably because I'm not even sure what he does besides hiring a new GM every 5-10 years or so and talk to the media once in a blue moon. Nice work if you can get it. GLG!
He only commutes back for the playoffs, since he only needs 2 pairs of underwear for the postseason

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Not sure how they would know where his time is spent, all seems pretty much something else to complain about for attention.

So the desire is now that he spend more time here and be more involved?
I thought people didn't want him involved.

(still not seeing what the issue is)
It's pretty well established at this point that Mirtle has some pretty reliable sources within the Leafs front office, that he's leaned on over the years.

If he's saying that, I have 0 reason to doubt that it's true. I get the need to be skeptical on what certain members of the media are saying, but I just don't get that sense with Mirtle.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I get the immediate "WTF" reaction when you read it but the reality is with zoom etc...you can do online collaboration fairly easily and then if anything requires in-person meet-ups, it's a few hours flight away on MLSE's tab.

Not the big deal it was like 10 years ago.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's pretty well established at this point that Mirtle has some pretty reliable sources within the Leafs front office, that he's leaned on over the years.

If he's saying that, I have 0 reason to doubt that it's true. I get the need to be skeptical on what certain members of the media are saying, but I just don't get that sense with Mirtle.
I just find it surprising that people keep that close a tab on where the President is or really why anyone would care.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If his ex-GM was unable to reach him to approve a time-sensitive blockbuster trade last year because he was in NYC and not answering his calls, then it has affected his performance.
do you actually believe Shanny wouldn't have been aware of this time sensitive massive blockbuster while it was being negotiated which he could have gotten approval for from the board before it was finalized if he approved of the deal ? and how was the board able to get to Shanny but Dubas wasn't ?

the non sense people believe is truly shocking , i want Shanny fired for hiring Dubas in the first place but i'm going to believe crap that makes zero sense just because i want him fired

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Pick your organization, whether in business or government and there are lots people getting paid for an hour's work while only actually providing a billed 15 minutes per hour and who live in one state/province/country, while serving on a board located hundreds of miles away.

Now...would we care if were constant contenders?

Right. We wouldn't. And to the flipside, if we were, might want that model going forward if it meant the club was succeeding.

I think Pelley's presence at the presser indicates that Shanahan's situation isn't nearly as secured (apart from his present contract) as some inferred. I thought it was interesting that Pelley repeated that he'd only had four weeks to assess the club's management structure. In those four weeks he noted great chemistry and unity between Shanahan and Treliving.

It reads to me like Pelley will be keeping a close watch on results and performance and time.

Darkest before the dawn - here endeth the thread.
f*** shanny for all i care but why do people think Pelley would be any better than Peddie was

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
f*** shanny for all i care but why do people think Pelley would be any better than Peddie was
Because if for no other reason, I suspect if there isn't a noted improvement in one year, Pelley will have learned what Shanahan provides within the role and then be in an informed position to weigh whether or not, Shanahan's relationships and reputation are worth as much as the position itself.

I think it's a "better" (different) situation because of the stakes and the personnel and the time past and the limited time ahead.

The same for Treliving. I think Pelley will have also determined who is contributing precisely what. And I think his presence at the presser was for the same type of optics that Shanahan and the newly hired Treliving provided for Keefe.

This time, as Treliving was to Keefe, Pelley is to Shanahan.

And remember, Shanahan did this with Carlyle. He didn't fire Randy when everyone else called for his head.

It's a pattern that will take its course one way or another. And to wit, it's Shanahan's protocol that he'll likely willingly engage in.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Because if for no other reason, I suspect if there isn't a noted improvement in one year, Pelley will have learned what Shanahan provides within the role and then be in an informed position to weigh whether or not, Shanahan's relationships and reputation are worth as much as the position itself.

I think it's a "better" (different) situation because of the stakes and the personnel and the time past and the limited time ahead.

The same for Treliving. I think Pelley will have also determined who is contributing precisely what. And I think his presence at the presser was for the same type of optics that Shanahan and the newly hired Treliving provided for Keefe.

This time, as Treliving was to Keefe, Pelley is to Shanahan.

And remember, Shanahan did this with Carlyle. He didn't fire Randy when everyone else called for his head.

It's a pattern that will take its course one way or another. And to wit, it's Shanahan's protocol that he'll likely willingly engage in.
i understand what your saying but all i'm asking is why would the GM reporting to Pelley be any better for the Leafs than the GM reporting to Shanny or another hockey guy as Pres

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Its the secret stealth cat GM role. It has granted him 4 GM lives already and 10years of nothing.

With a rookie GM like Dubas likely not making full GM coin it made sense to have a senior guy above him for guidance, but now with Tre, I feel like all Shanny does is get in the way. He also wasn’t of much value in guiding Dubas. Especially during the negotiations with Marner and Matthews. Even Tavares tbh

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Confirmed with link to podcast:

"Shanahan spends a lot of his time living in New York. He's not here as often as some people think. There have been reports of difficulty getting a hold of him at times in order to get moves done. He's vetoed some moves" JD Bunkis SPORTSNET FAN 590

What? You're telling me he's been f***ing running the TML from another country? What the f us wrong with this organization?! Yes I know you can do some jobs remotely, but TML President is being done out of town?!!!

This is not going to sit well at all!!

Listen to 1:19:00 into the show.

Are you suggesting his thought process would be different in NY vs Toronto?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Confirmed with link to podcast:

"Shanahan spends a lot of his time living in New York. He's not here as often as some people think. There have been reports of difficulty getting a hold of him at times in order to get moves done. He's vetoed some moves" JD Bunkis SPORTSNET FAN 590

What? You're telling me he's been f***ing running the TML from another country? What the f us wrong with this organization?! Yes I know you can do some jobs remotely, but TML President is being done out of town?!!!

This is not going to sit well at all!!

Listen to 1:19:00 into the show.
Why are you guys shocked .. i told you this back a few years ago .. Shanny is married to a US girl who doesn't want to live here for work reasons .. to me blame Larry because he knew that when he hired Shanny .. last year I hardly saw Shanny but this year I saw him more at Hot Stove then ever

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
It's very common in government organizations. Hire somebody below you who can take the heat when something goes wrong.... and then they hire someone below them, and they hire someone.... and then you've got 5 managers to run a department with 8 front line staff.
That’s just it. It all corporate over-management. Mis-management. Someone else to blame. Little accountability. Passing the buck. Very convoluted decision making process. So toronto. It’s the same way the city is run.

Reactions: Dreakmur

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I get the immediate "WTF" reaction when you read it but the reality is with zoom etc...you can do online collaboration fairly easily and then if anything requires in-person meet-ups, it's a few hours flight away on MLSE's tab.

Not the big deal it was like 10 years ago.
Shanahan I believe moved back to nyc full time last year. Prior to last season they were living in Toronto full time and I know this for a fact. Doubt he’s the only one in the NHL doing this.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
With a rookie GM like Dubas likely not making full GM coin it made sense to have a senior guy above him for guidance, but now with Tre, I feel like all Shanny does is get in the way. He also wasn’t of much value in guiding Dubas. Especially during the negotiations with Marner and Matthews. Even Tavares tbh

George Costanza, NY Yankees character running our Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad