PTO: [WSH] Washington signs Craig Anderson to PTO (signed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Noted. I am not rooting for disaster. I think its more likely than you do. We will see. Meanwhile are you content with what happened last season? Division banner and 1st round out? If we are going to blame the 1st round out on Reirden, then maybe the crappy goals against was Reirden. On the other hand Laviolette sounds like he is going to press and push offense with the d.
Who knows about the rest of the team, I'm just talking about goaltending. They haven't had great RS goaltending since what, 2017?

The rest of the team's effectiveness is TBD. New coach, aging core, a couple of new players...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Who knows about the rest of the team, I'm just talking about goaltending. They haven't had great RS goaltending since what, 2017?

The rest of the team's effectiveness is TBD. New coach, aging core, a couple of new players...

New coach? I am slipping. What happened to Boudreau?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I doubt that
Odds are against him, but I see his experience making the difference. Plus, he’s going to finally be on a good team, right? You think the lack of pressure to win in Ottawa made it easier for him?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Odds are against him, but I see his experience making the difference. Plus, he’s going to finally be on a good team, right? You think the lack of pressure to win in Ottawa made it easier for him?

I just dont expect Samsonov to unravel completely in 20 games

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I just dont expect Samsonov to unravel completely in 20 games
Does it have to be Samsonov unraveling though? I’m thinking he plays fine, but the team (and coaches) just have more confidence in the veteran. Might not happen, but that’s what I think might happen. Andy still can play, and this is a really good signing for the Caps.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I see no scenario where there is a legit chance that happens. Short of rampant injuries of COVID/ Fehervary is 9 on the depth chart
Unfortunately I fear you are correct and perhaps that’s for the best.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Teams have to carry 3 goaltenders this season (including the taxi squad). If Vanacek wins the backup role and Washington doesn’t sign Anderson or another goaltender then who takes that taxi squad slot?

And what would that do to the AHL team assuming they resume play this season?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Teams have to carry 3 goaltenders this season (including the taxi squad). If Vanacek wins the backup role and Washington doesn’t sign Anderson or another goaltender then who takes that taxi squad slot?

And what would that do to the AHL team assuming they resume play this season?
Just repeating what I heard without fully understanding it but Copley, somehow, makes too much to be considered either way and is being skipped over a bit.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Just repeating what I heard without fully understanding it but Copley, somehow, makes too much to be considered either way and is being skipped over a bit.

Thanks. Copley absolutely could be the taxi squad guy. At $1.1m Washington can’t completely bury his cap hit—slightly above the $1.075m limit.

Reactions: HTFN

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Thanks. Copley absolutely could be the taxi squad guy. At $1.1m Washington can’t completely bury his cap hit—slightly above the $1.075m limit.
I didn't bother learning any of the new rules for this year but if I'm understanding this correctly would it make Anderson's PTO sort of a backup or bust situation, or would they still prefer Anderson on the taxi squad if he'll take it for less and keep Copley in the AHL again? I remember reading that MacLellan would be just fine with Vanacek and Copley but now with hindsight it just seems like a bit of posturing for a move like this.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I didn't bother learning any of the new rules for this year but if I'm understanding this correctly would it make Anderson's PTO sort of a backup or bust situation, or would they still prefer Anderson on the taxi squad if he'll take it for less and keep Copley in the AHL again? I remember reading that MacLellan would be just fine with Vanacek and Copley but now with hindsight it just seems like a bit of posturing for a move like this.

It’s complicated to say the least. One important detail is how the AHL season is going to unfold. Right now they’re planning to start Feb 5th but details to work out. If the NHL team needs 3 goaltenders on the roster and taxi squad and the AHL team needs at least 2 tenders that obviously leaves us at 5 goaltenders minimum. Washington currently has 4 under contract with Lundqvist out. Not that it’s difficult to sign a warm AHL body goaltender.

Many other teams in a similar situation.

Reactions: HTFN and BHD

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
I don't hate it. You've got that option now if Samsonov has a rough period and you just want a vet to steady things for a game or two. I am really high on Vanecek though. He outplayed Samsonov for a lot of their time at Hershey. I think he's a legit NHL goalie. Samsonov is the future, but I wouldn't be surprised if Vanecek outgrows being a backup in a year or two, moves to be a starter at another team and flourishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad