Post-Game Talk: WSH Vs COL Oct 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
We didn’t “feel it”…Vrana was not trusted.

I don’t love Mantha’s overall motor so far, but then he flashes a goal like last night in front of the net. Not sure if he’s in that same category with Lavi (as Vrana), but I’d hope there’s still some feeling out going on.
Mantha comes off as a player with a low motor but might just be the way he skates. Big dude and his stride isn't real choppy. Might be a little deceptive to the viewer

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Dowd line has been very good the first 3 games:
(stats over the first 3 games)

Attachments

• FCG4NQtXMAc20p_.jpg
    FCG4NQtXMAc20p_.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Are you suggesting he had a more serious drug problem, or that rock bottom was simply a mental thing?

maybe….I suspect however…..just like he said to the press, he didn’t like trying that hard very often and finally realized he was close to losing it all in terms of the life he and his family built here in DC (likely after some very serious conversations with Management, Coaches, friends and family), and he decided to get it together and rededicated himself.

I’m hoping he decided it was time to grow up and there’s nothing deeper in terms of “problems”.
Mental. I don’t think he walked away from the coke thing dedicated to much of anything yet, and spent the next year sort of railing against maturity and effort until it brought his career to a bit of a crossroads and he decided that he did, in fact, want to grow up a little. I just don’t think it happened until sometime last year, maybe getting sick had a little something to do with it too.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Mantha comes off as a player with a low motor but might just be the way he skates. Big dude and his stride isn't real choppy. Might be a little deceptive to the viewer

I get it….fairly seasoned hockey fan here lol…..

Last night….had a pretty lazy defensive lapse….that is what I’m saying in terms of “motor”…..doesn’t seem so far, to have the more sustained intensity you would love to see (in all zones) from a big body with skill.

Reactions: Neil Racki

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Mental. I don’t think he walked away from the coke thing dedicated to much of anything yet, and spent the next year sort of railing against maturity and effort until it brought his career to a bit of a crossroads and he decided that he did, in fact, want to grow up a little. I just don’t think it happened until sometime last year, maybe getting sick had a little something to do with it too.

I think the explosion we saw Ov direct at Samsonov was directed at Kuznetsov in private and with greater fury. I could be wrong.

Reactions: Neil Racki and HTFN

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
As long as Laviolette is matching Dowd Hagelin and Hathaway against the opposing top line, some other line is going to get the 4th line TOI. That would be the line with the kid at center. Meanwhile Lavy wants Oshie to play more than his line will allow and so he is getting some shifts with Eller.

Is Mantha playing 4 on 4? If he isn't, that would effect his ESTOI. I think if you listen to Laviolette he mentioned that after the Rangers and then the Lightning shortened their bench to 3 lines and with his line matching one line is going to lose its shifts. I will go back and look but if Oshie and Sheary are getting late game shifts with Eller, it would explain where Mantha and Sprong's shifts have gone to.

Not wanting McMichael and Sprong on the ice at various points in the game I can understand, and Oshie's minutes shouldn't be hurt by putting him on rookie-sitter duties. Equally, swapping out Vrana in Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie for someone more defensively reliable, I can get.

But Mantha was touted as more of a reliable, two-way forward who has good possession game and would fit Lavi's system. Why would you ever sit Mantha to get Sheary more shifts if that were the case? It's not as though Sheary is an offensive juggernaut they can't justify leaving on the bench, nor a Hagelin or Down-like shutdown forward.

I'm just a bit disappointed that Mantha has gone from averaging 17:45 in his 14 RS games with the caps last year to less than 15 minutes so far this year. Mantha's 27 – he's already in his prime – and for what we gave up to acquire him (and his cap hit), he needs to play like a legit top-6 forward. 2 of 12 forward positions are currently occupied by CMM/Lappierre and Sprong – he shouldn't be short of ice time at this point in the season.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
yeah it let me do short rewinds and pauses, but I missed an entire period and it wasn't letting me go back to where I paused. It gave me a screen saver advertisement instead.

Basically I paid $7 to watch 1/3 of one game with advertisements.

I'll try the iPad thing.
Good luck. I was able to go back to any point in the game. Though it was hard to gauge where was where

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not wanting McMichael and Sprong on the ice at various points in the game I can understand, and Oshie's minutes shouldn't be hurt by putting him on rookie-sitter duties. Equally, swapping out Vrana in Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie for someone more defensively reliable, I can get.

But Mantha was touted as more of a reliable, two-way forward who has good possession game and would fit Lavi's system. Why would you ever sit Mantha to get Sheary more shifts if that were the case? It's not as though Sheary is an offensive juggernaut they can't justify leaving on the bench, nor a Hagelin or Down-like shutdown forward.

I'm just a bit disappointed that Mantha has gone from averaging 17:45 in his 14 RS games with the caps last year to less than 15 minutes so far this year. Mantha's 27 – he's already in his prime – and for what we gave up to acquire him (and his cap hit), he needs to play like a legit top-6 forward. 2 of 12 forward positions are currently occupied by CMM/Lappierre and Sprong – he shouldn't be short of ice time at this point in the season.

I think this says more about how Laviolette feels about Sheary than Mantha. I also think that Lavy has a season management style that spreads the minutes more evenly thru the lineup til crunch time when the playoff mindset and lineup priorities show. Last season Lavy used Oshie on the 3rd line but by the trade deadline and the stretch run, he was back with Backstrom and his minutes were up.

The way Laviolette does things two of Sheary, Mantha, Sprong and Oshie are defacto 4th line wingers as the 4th line is the defacto 3rd line. Oshie is going to play and babysitting the rookie centers has played with the depth chart some. I'd like to see Sprong and Mantha with Backstrom to see what they have with an elite playmaker. Eller is not going to be setting up those two for scoring chances. Its not his game.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Mantha hasn’t looked good by any means but he isn’t negatively impacting the team like Vrana was on a consistent basis. Vrana as a player has a ton of warts. Glad he is gone.

Reactions: um

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
We didn’t “feel it”…Vrana was not trusted.

I don’t love Mantha’s overall motor so far, but then he flashes a goal like last night in front of the net. Not sure if he’s in that same category with Lavi (as Vrana), but I’d hope there’s still some feeling out going on.

They’re going to have to be patient with Mantha. He has great potential, they just need to find out how to harness it. Two things stick out from Mantha’s game to me.

1. He has a cannon of a shot. It’s not being utilized much, I think he needs to play with Backstrom who always excelled with big gunners, even all those who don’t wear #8.

2. He’s hard to dislodge from the puck. This is particularly useful for Lavy’s system which favors working the puck from the corners back to the point for a shot through traffic. We’ve seen flashes of that too, but that’s a thing that no other winger on the team can bring (except Wilson).

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad