Post-Game Talk: WSH @ PIT, 7:30 PM, Ovi's 1000th game

Discussion in 'Washington Capitals' started by Eazy for Kuzy, Apr 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maacoshark

maacoshark Registered User

If Beagle is out and they aren't calling any up then only one forward can sit. Not sure they will rest any of their top players.

2. artilector

artilector Registered User

There's an easy argument for Gersich (and any other experiment).

It's hard to see the Caps win the Cup doing their same old thing in playoffs. Every other combination of players has pretty much been tried. The bottom lines remain utterly mediocre. It makes sense to stick Gersich in to see if you can get a spark, especially since he showed (in limited time) the very qualities that the Caps generally lack -- speed & motor.

When you've got a record of playoff failure like the record, you've got to try everything even remotely reasonable.

3. maacoshark

maacoshark Registered User

I'm not anti-Gersich at all.

4. hockeykicker

hockeykicker Moderator

5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Registered User

Cool thing for Caps fans is we don't have to check the standings again until next Saturday night/Sunday morning.

The Cats/Bruins makeup game will mean nothing to the Capitals.

6. hockeykicker

hockeykicker Moderator

7. Holtbyisms

Holtbyisms SY-STEM SY-STEM!!

Logistics
    I think the reason so many of us want to see Gersich in the lineup is because there's a chance he could be a Jake Guentzel kind of spark for us. Is it likely? Who knows, but why not try? Guys are physically the exact same size, later round picks, have followed almost the exact same path from Minnesota High School Hockey, to the USHL to the NCAA. Not exact equal numbers but their stats in all those leagues are mildly comparable. Gersich is one year behind so he hasn't had the half season in the AHL that Guentzel got but who knows exactly what he is at this point? We're all tired of the same old shtick every playoffs and are dying to try something new. I don't think anyone is suggesting that Barry Trotz is an idiot for playing DSP/Connolly over him tonight but we are suggesting that it wouldn't have been the worst idea in the world to see him against some high end competition and see if he can have as strong of a performance as he did his first game.

mad4comp likes this.
  8. hockeykicker

hockeykicker Moderator

9. hockeykicker

hockeykicker Moderator

10. Brian23

Brian23 Registered User

Are the twitter inserts broken for anyone else? Hockeykicker's posts are just blank slates to me.

No idea why this board hates Chrome. XD

calicapsfan likes this.
  11. Holtbyisms

Holtbyisms SY-STEM SY-STEM!!

Logistics
    Turn your adblock off and they'll show up again.

12. ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME Druce Smith Pelly

The one two posts above will not display on my iPad. The other tweets display fine, though.

Edit: Now they are all displaying.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  13. ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME Druce Smith Pelly

Nice to see the Caps win and clinch the division. It’s a big accomplishment considering how the team got worse over the offseason.

Great to see Grubs play so great and the Caps play solid defensively. Gonna need a lot more of that in the playoffs.

Pens were clearly frustrated. Also, Malkin is an idiot. Apparently the Pens sent the Caps a message in the last few minutes of the game? What message exactly was that? The Pens are poor sports? Lol.

14. ovikovy817

ovikovy817 Registered User

Good game, nice win. Home ice clinched for the first two rounds.

Wilson scores on the national TV against the rival, and you need to have some skill to score that goal, not bad for a goon.

DSP won a spot on the ice for the playoffs with that game, especially in the first period.

I don't agree that Beagle is not an important piece. Face off are huge, especially on the PK. If you don't want to be hammered 2 minutes in your own zone (like it was against the Pens), you need Beagle.

When Gruby robbed Crosby, I had an orgasm :laugh::laugh::laugh: that was a huge save.

I loved how the refs were predictable in this game.
    Caps scores, next shift = penalty for the Caps.
    Malkin slashed Gruby in the mask = nothing, Hornqvist, slashed Gruby several times during the game = nothing.
    And of course, the best part of their predictable game, they gave to the Pens opponent PP time when the game is over to even both team in that category:laugh::laugh::laugh:

------
    Now, we have 3 games and nothing to play for. But the opponents will play for something.
    STL = battle for PO
    NSH = battle for the PT
    NJD = battle for PO

I espect, a L-L-W to finish the season.

15. Roshi

Roshi Registered User

What a statement game from Grubauer.

This is the kind of win we havent got against the Pens past two years at the playoffs. Getting a huge game from our goalie and scoring couple ”outlier” goals. Normally its other way around. Hopefully we have more of this on our sleeves.

Ovie had the chances again but cold streak is cold. Congrats for the 1000th game though. But really want to see him score a goal or two for the last two games, to get it going. And to win the rocket. Dont think Laine is done yet.

Good to see Malkin frustfrated aswell. Hopefully guys on the ice keep it real and are ready for first series, because i see most of us fans already heading our thoughts for the R2 face off with the Penguins..

16. VaCaps Fan

VaCaps Fan Registered User

Let’s go Caps!

17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Registered User

Lavi is a fine coach but lets face it with that defense you or I could coach that team to success.

As to your main point, agree 100%. I feel guilty for feeling that way cause Beagle has been a good soldier for a long time for this organization. Boy did Beagle pick a bad year to any offense ability he had disappear.

Thought the same thing. I also thought why would the Pens even get mad, they have three rings in 10 years, you'd think an insignificant team such as the Caps would not even be on their radar enough to piss them off.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME likes this.
  18. McVechkin

McVechkin Registered User

I am a holtby fan with no trust in holtby right now and I’m ready to give grub a shot... but I just can’t see him being successful night in and night out. He’s too small in his net... looking at the condensed game, he had square positioning on a lot of shots that got him in the shoulders but there was so much damn net all around him... i fear the law of averages and skill of the pens will have those start going on.

Don’t read this as a shot at grub to pump up holtby cause it’s not... I like grub too and his success is will not spoil anything for me.

19. trick9

trick9 Registered User

I doubt many people here care who is in net if the team is winning in the Playoffs. Personally i prefer Holtby because he is faster at moving side to side, has more experience and he has one of the best glove hands in the World. For a goaltender though, confidence is everything short-term, and it's hard to argue with Grubauer lately. Best-case scenario is that he keeps his own Hamburglar run going and stays red hot through the Playoffs too.

Goaltending has never been their biggest obstacle in the Playoffs, though. You just simply don't win a Playoff series where you score 12-14 goals in 7 games. That just won't cut it against good teams. Even if you had a goalie going god-mode you might win a single series like that, but you sure as hell aren't going to win 4.

This was a great win, by the way. Real solid overall performance.

20. MW6

MW6 Registered User

If CBJ and Philly win their last three games, Pens (CBJ play Pens on Thursday) end up in WC1 and will face Caps in round one.

If Pens also lose their last game (their second game of a B2B vs Ottawa), Caps can possibly determine if the Pens end up in the Atlantic playoff bracket by losing to NJ in the last game.
    If Pens lose both their games, NJ would need 4 points against Rags, Toronto and Caps for this to be possible. If Pens beat Ottawa, NJ need to win all their 3 remaining games.

The key game is PIT@CBJ.

21. OV Rocks

OV Rocks Registered User

How many times have the Caps lost a playoff series due to a hot goalie? Countless it seems. Who knows what is going to happen this year but now the Caps are the team going into the playoffs with the hottest goalie in the league. It is Grubauer's net for the playoffs. Screw what Holtby has done is the past, gotta go with who gives you the best chance to win the next game and right now that is without question Grubauer.

Eazy for Kuzy likes this.
  22. Eazy for Kuzy

Eazy for Kuzy Forever a Caps fan

Hot goalies have carried their teams deep in the playoffs many times. If Grubi remains hot, you ride him as long as he performs. At the first sign of underperformance, you get him out and rotate Holtby back in. We have two goalies ready for the playoffs, let's use both.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME and VaCaps Fan like this.
  23. AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8 Better luck next year

Agree with your first two sentences but not the last two. To me, Holtby needs to prove in his final few games that he's back on track because he's been straight up garbage this year. You don't start Grubauer and have him feel that if he lets in a bad goal he gets the hook. If Grubi starts showing signs of fatigue or if his body language starts to show that his confidence is shot a little then yeah you go to Holtby, but Holtby has been ass for pretty much an entire calendar year at this point.

twabby likes this.
  24. amjay13

amjay13 Registered User Sponsor

Gotta start Grubi. If he falters he fails he fails but at least we will know plus Holtby is fully capable of coming in and saving an early series.

Get Ovi 50 and Tom 200 PIMs in these last 3 games and call it another successful regular season.

25. marcel snapshot

marcel snapshot Registered User

So, uh, Orpik was . . . . really good?
    Also glad to see Ovie give props to DSP. And Wilson was everything we could have wanted.
    We both physically manhandled that team, and gave their D trouble with our . . . . speed? Bura, Vrana, Stephenson were backing them up and getting them on their heels.
    And the goal-tending was clutch. Yeah, that was a juicy rebound to hand Hornquist (glad to see us pummel him at every opportunity), but better to do it with 3 minutes left when you're up 3, than 3 minutes in when it's 0-0.
    If that's who this team is when everybody rows together, then it's a pretty good boat.

Also, **** Malkin. Takes a blind-side high near-head shot at Oshie with a minute left, and then runs his mouth when he's safely off the ice. Just a thoroughly dishonorable player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.