Post-Game Talk: WSH @ PIT | 2/17/15 | 7PM EST | Caps Win 3-1 (MOD WARNING: POST 657)

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Got to love the reaction from OV after Kunitz (and who that other Pen is) comes and tries to start a fight. The face Ovechkin makes there is priceless. He's just slowly skating backwards, holding his hands low and laughing like "come on, you really think I'll waste time punching the **** out of you?"

Five seconds later he smashes Kunitz against the board in a legit hockey hit.

That's how you play hockey Ovechkin! Props on the situation.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Some observations:

1. Ovie slash on Letang was def a penalty but not dirty. Not sure what the heck Milbury and Roenick saw.

2. Holtby run repeatedly but the Caps get the 2 goalie interference calls AND the Pens scored their lone goal on a CLEAR interference. Adams ran Hillen into Holtby and followed thru until Holtby was in the back of the net. I don't know what was more ironic...the Caps getting the 2 GI calls or Letang getting the slash to put us on the 5v3.

3. Joe Hanson played a very gritty game. He's by far the best zone entry player we have.

4. WTH were the Pens doing at the end? Why would Downie give a massive right to Jack firkin Hillen?? Why would Lapierre head butt Fehr? It made little sense. Why focus on those two?

5. LOL @ Ovie crushing Kunitz into the boards after he tried to play tough crosscheck guy moments earlier.

6. Strong fight from Latta against a much bigger guy.

7. Kunitz ran Kuznetsov's head into the glass as he finished him high early in the game. THAT was more dirty than what Ovie did.

8. Shocking what a difference a coach and GM make on both teams. Caps turn into a heavy, gritty and mentally competitive team and the Pens are soft and even more undisciplined than before. I still contend they should have never fired Bylsma. It seemed the whole game the Pens were trying to puff out their chest Napoleon complex style to match us. We were like the bigger guy holding the top of their heads at arms distance and watching them swing away at air.

9. Glad Letang pulled through. Looked life threatening there. Good try on upselling Tanger.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think Kuznetsov is the best zone entry guy we have. The puck looks like it's glued to his stick. Majo is very good, but he doesn't really have any moves other than skate really fast by everyone.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
If the goal is actually to enter the zone and then keep it and maybe even drive offense it it's Backstrom, Green, Kuznetsov. If the goal is to enter the zone by virtue of being faster than everyone else and just beating them into it and then panicking, it's Johansson and then Chimera.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'm sure that has nothing to do with Backstrom hitting Johansson in stride near the blue line on nearly every one of his attempted entries and Kuznetsov skating it from the defensive zone and having to deke his way in. :sarcasm:

The author even acknowledges he'll have to take another look at the zone entry strategy for each unit in the comments.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'm sure that has nothing to do with Backstrom hitting Johansson in stride near the blue line on nearly every one of his attempted entries and Kuznetsov skating it from the defensive zone and having to deke his way in. :sarcasm:

The author even acknowledges he'll have to take another look at the zone entry strategy for each unit in the comments.

Its not perfect but it does feel that everytime I see MJ with speed coming up the ice that we gain the zone easily.

I think as we come to understand the importance of zone entries more then there will be better methods to accurately track who is the best.

Right now I'll go with MJ. Kuz is shiftier and a better trickster but MJ has that great speed and strong skating stance that forces the D to back off.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I love the way Ovi agitates other teams/fanbases

It is a thing of beauty. In their minds he is cherry picking and getting handed PPGs.

Reality is he is taking on the oppositions studs head on physically, and more often than not, dominating them.

You'd think he has guys lined up behind him to fight his battles like a Bobby Clarke or Dale, but he largely stands up for himself.

You know what else really drives them bonkers, empty net goals.

How dare he pad his stats.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Its not perfect but it does feel that everytime I see MJ with speed coming up the ice that we gain the zone easily.

I think as we come to understand the importance of zone entries more then there will be better methods to accurately track who is the best.

Right now I'll go with MJ. Kuz is shiftier and a better trickster but MJ has that great speed and strong skating stance that forces the D to back off.

MJ is TERRIBLE at zone entries that aren't set plays on the PP. At ES or in unstructured play his one move is to try to skate by the defender at the blueline, and then get rubbed out along the boards. When he's on the PP he's in a set spot and gets hit with the pass while support comes in quickly, AND there's a collapsing PK unit in front of him instead of an aggressive defender that's challenging.

Citing PP zone entries for this purpose is like saying Brouwer is the best on the team at shooting from the slot because he does it so much on the PP.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
MJ is ok, but he is just one part of a special team strategy. Until Kuz gets put on that 1st unit and gets a few reps, there is no way to compare them in that role.

If you just need a guy to take the puck and find a way to get it in, its pretty much Kuz, Backstrom and Green. Kuz probably has the most talent for it.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
MJ is TERRIBLE at zone entries that aren't set plays on the PP. At ES or in unstructured play his one move is to try to skate by the defender at the blueline, and then get rubbed out along the boards. When he's on the PP he's in a set spot and gets hit with the pass while support comes in quickly, AND there's a collapsing PK unit in front of him instead of an aggressive defender that's challenging.

Citing PP zone entries for this purpose is like saying Brouwer is the best on the team at shooting from the slot because he does it so much on the PP.

Exactly.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
Some observations:

1. Ovie slash on Letang was def a penalty but not dirty. Not sure what the heck Milbury and Roenick saw.

Gotta disagree with point 1. If you read the NHL rulebook, what Ovi did was not a penalty as he was trying to make a play on the puck.

61.1 Slashing
- Slashing is the act of a player swinging his stick at an
opponent, whether contact is made or not. Non-aggressive stick
contact to the pant or front of the shin pads, should not be penalized
as slashing. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an
opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s
hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play
the puck
, shall be penalized as slashing.

I think the refs saw that and I'm surprised at how many people believe it was still a penalty, including many in the media who should know the game and the rules better. Its not equal to "controlling your stick" like an accidental high stick. After all, the follow through on a play on the puck is not high sticking. A slash needs to be intentional to the body of the player, making a play on the puck and having the stick contact the body is not slashing.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Rule 57 – Tripping
57.1 Tripping – A player shall not place the stick, knee, foot, arm, hand or
elbow in such a manner that causes his opponent to trip or fall.
Accidental trips which occur simultaneously with a completed play
will not be penalized. Accidental trips occurring simultaneously with or
after a stoppage of play will not be penalized.
57.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player who
shall place his stick or any portion of his body in such a manner that it
shall cause his opponent to trip and fall.

It's a penalty.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

a lot of Johansson's pp zone entries start in his own zone.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
If you want to see some serious psychopathology, head over to the pens board and read their responses to last night's game.
I thought us Cap fans were mental at times, they take it to a whole new level.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
this board as recently as this season has said Ov shouldn't be captain. not long ago have agreed that ov had lost his enjoyment of the game. and more. much of the stuff they are laying on Crosby now.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Bah, Pens fans are nothing compared to just the simple fact that they managed to assemble a very... dislikeable team. Downie, Kunitz, to lesser extent Crosby and Letang. Too bad Cooke is not on that team any more, lol. But the great thing is that with Orpik & Wilson on the roster, now Caps seem to have the clear edge in physicality, well except the dirtbag stuff. So, fun games :)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
what is interesting is that they claim that Orpik really did stink in Pittsburgh and this Oprik is unrecognizable.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This Orpik looked a lot like the one that used to trouble the Caps.

Both Penguins and Capitals fans did note that Orpik did show up for the Pittsburgh/Washington games last year. I think it's safe to say that the games against Pittsburgh have been among his finest this season as well. He really gets up for rivalry games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->