Post-Game Talk: WSH @ PIT | 2/17/15 | 7PM EST | Caps Win 3-1 (MOD WARNING: POST 657)

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
vicious and cowardly. nice. where was this guy when kunitz was crosschecking an engaged goaltender in the neck??

Right, I forgot to mention the "cowardly" part of that article. A bizarre non sequitur.

Anyone who's seen a handful of games Ovie has played knows that cowardly is one thing he definitely isn't.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Eh, Pittsburgh homerism in the media is par for the course. Especially when it comes to Ovie/Sid and so forth. 2 points. Let em howl.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I just wanted to say that I too saw the Pittsburgh feed here in Austin. During the 5-on-3 is when this happened. One of the Pittsburgh broadcasters said words to the effect that here is where you want to take a dive if anyone on the other team even touches you.

Not sure what to think about that. I guess I understand the embellishment when there is actually a penalty and the purpose is to draw the ref's attention to it or force the ref's hand. I think what the broadcasters were advocating was something closer to an outright dive though--an attempt to trick the ref into believing there's a penalty where there isn't--and that is the kind of thing I think just about everyone objects to.

I doubt it's ever a good time to actually outright dive. I think the refs remember that stuff. No one likes to be fooled. I don't think, even from a purely strategic Pittsburgh-centric point of view, that I would agree with them. You might go ahead and embellish if there is any illegal conduct in that situation, sure, but I don't think that's what they were talking about.

On the other hand, I'll always remember the time I remember seeing Dino Ciccarelli take an opponent's stick and try to bash himself in the face with it to draw the high-sticking penalty. I think he did that more than just that once, and it's been a while and I only remember one very distinctly now. But I remember it was pretty hilarious. I don't remember whether it worked. I guess it's just like an outright dive, but it's too funny to be all that upset about. Dude really wanted to win. I think he might have been a little nuts.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
The funny part about all this is the fact that OV is a superstar goal scoring forward, not an instigator. However, because of some unplaced hate (or jealousy) by other teams / fan bases his hard nosed play is better than Sean Avery at getting the other team off their game. The persona that the media has heaped on him makes him work as a pest, without really being a pest....it kinda makes me laugh....

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
well...ov is not brett hull or mike bossy. he also is on a search and destroy mission in every pens game and v other teams. it grows an amount of hate

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We've had some fun but let's not get carried away. Remember:

2) Trolling: Do not make posts or threads with the sole intent of starting a dispute. Please note that a person disagreeing with your opinion is NOT trolling. Please keep it civil even if you're sure the other person is wrong. When visiting the team forums, please note that these are fan forums for that team and are here mainly for the enjoyment of that team's fans. Do not visit team forums to cheer against nor demean their team. In other words, if you want to cheer for the Habs and criticize the Bruins, do it on the Habs board. And if someone is doing the opposite on the Bruins board, don't start flaming them to defend the honor of your team. Either ignore it or respectfully disagree and move on. Wishing illness or injury on someone will be regarded as trolling or offensive in most cases. We do not permit any forums to be used to demean/insult the fans of other teams. This is viewed as trolling/flaming. Copying posts from one HFBoard forum to another for this purpose is considered trolling/flaming as well.

If we want to talk about the actual reaction to the game by other fans, fine, but within the rules. No more hyperbolic and "vicious" attacks about the people or the city in general. We can't claim any higher ground when we do crap like that.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah, that's what people do in Shelbyville.

58166508.jpg

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Fun game.

ed - upon review, whomever worked the truck for Comcast last night should not do so in the future.

I was hating life about having to listen to the pens feed until I heard that weird al was calling it on comcast. Do not enjoy his calls.........ever.

Sisyphus*

Great game last night. And I can't believe no one is talking about this: A beagle won the 139th Westminster Kennel Club best in show last night. It's a sign I tell ya!

HOLDITHERE*

The Pens assembled a team that gets dirty and can't back it up. It's lovely.

This is accurate. They seem to think they're a physical, intimidating team, likely due to the international hype the team gets, yet when it comes down to it, they get punked out every single time.

Seeing Ovechkin make Kunitz his little ***** was the greatest thing I've witnessed in years.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
If anyone hasn't seen it, the whole play of ovi getting crosschecked and then smashing kunitz is here

That's good stuff. Typical Ovie, responding with a legal hit. Not saying he's the cleanest player in the world, but I'd say overall he's closer to being that than to being the dirtiest player in the world.

I saw him get slashed on the wrists shortly after the controversy too. I don't know who got him though.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If there ever was a team that's "mentally fragile," it's the Penguins. The Capitals and Flyers cause them to come unglued so easily, and then they spiral out of control afterwards. Let's just hope the Caps can carry it over into the playoffs.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
vicious and cowardly. nice. where was this guy when kunitz was crosschecking an engaged goaltender in the neck??

Doubt he wrote a similar article about Matt Cooke and his hit on Marc Savard that just about ended his playing career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad