Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Phillip Grubauer Washington (1 year, $1.5M)

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
4HDjCjz.jpg

In case a bunch of people want to claim they can't ice a team.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Who wants him? Perfect contract to audition to be your full-time starter.

Flames probably interested. Treliving probably has your GM on speed dial discussions heat up likely around and just after TDL. We are probably more interested in the value of his rights than the player on contract. But who knows.

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
With Grub still being an RFA next summer, it keeps the pressure on Holtby to play at an elite level.

Not saying there's anything more than a remote chance of it happening, but if the team decides to go full rebuild next summer, Holtby could net an excellent return and free up cap space. Then you could still commit to Gru long term at a lower cap hit.

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
4HDjCjz.jpg

In case a bunch of people want to claim they can't ice a team.

Wow, I bet y'all can't wait to be free of those Orpik and Eller contracts. That's still a good lineup, but you could do a lot with 9 million dollars!

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Wow, what a great contract for one of the best back-ups in the game. WSH fans should be quite happy with this. The only thing that could've made it better was if it was 2 or 3 seasons, but I guess he wouldn't sign that long for so cheap. He's hoping for another great season to give him a bit more leverage next year, I guess. But for now it's a great situation in net for the Capitals.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Who slots in as the second RWer?

Vrana, Barber or any of the kids if they play well enough in the training camp.

Otherwise it's propably Wilson and/or Connolly that's going to get a shot there.

That line-up is all kinds of wrong though. They don't have a stacked team anymore. Can't afford to put 3 of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov and Oshie on the same line.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Wow, I bet y'all can't wait to be free of those Orpik and Eller contracts. That's still a good lineup, but you could do a lot with 9 million dollars!

For some reason Orpik wasn't bought out (and hence not losing Schmidt). I'd say that's an egregious error by the GM

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
I see him getting close to 30 games this year to keep Holtby rested and healthy, if so, and he performs like I expect a 1B goalie say like Griess, Lehner, Etc...Aaand the Goalie market looking rather thin compared to this year (I could be wrong). I would expect the Caps look into to trading him and recoup some assets draft day or what not.

I see Ari, Buf, Col, LV, as interested and Cgy, Van, Car, Phi in on him if their new starters don't work out.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Who slots in as the second RWer?

Andre Burakovsky and Jakub Vrana would be the favorites. Lesser chance of Wilson, Connolly, Boyd, or Barber if they have impressive camps/pre-seasons.

Cap Friendly lists both of Burakovsky and Vrana as LWs, which artificially deflates the Caps RW depth, as both players can line up on either side of center.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
paying 4 years for orpik is silly

"Of course, there are other ways to open up salary space. Like buying out the declining play of 36-year-old Brooks Orpik, which would have saved $3 million against the cap in each of the next two seasons, and the cost them $1.5 million in dead cap space for the following two.

But MacLellan said the Capitals had no appetite to do that.

“I don’t know that we really considered that. I thought Orpik had a good year last year. I thought him and Schmidt played well together on our third pair. We value what he brings to young defensemen. He was very good for Schmidt, and Schmidt was good for Orpik. We have a bunch of young defensemen that are coming up: 10 or 12 guys that are under 22. They’re all pretty good players. We’re going to value the ability of Orpik to mentor these guys,†he said."

https://sports.yahoo.com/capitals-bl...153914299.html

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
thats a very good 2nd pairing, Orpik is overpaid but he doesn't suck.

This.

Niskanen/Orlov
Carlson/*Bowey
Orpik/Djoos/Ness/Chorney/Seigenthaler/whatever person makes it out of camp.

You can place any of the other players there with Carlson.

That is better than about 20 teams defenses easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->