Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Lars Eller signs extenstion (5 years, $3.5M AAV)

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
What isn't getting a lot of play in this thread is how well Eller's style ages. He doesn't rely on athleticism or physicality, his game is entirely built on his hockey IQ, his passing vision, and strong fundamentals, AKA things that age well.

There are a lot of players in this league who are tendered extensions for play that realistically they will not be able to sustain as they age. Barring injury, Eller is a guy who can play in the league for a very long time.
Funnily enough, these are two factors in which he was deficient according to Montréal fans, myself included.

As I wrote previously, I liked Eller, but the offense tended to die on his stick.

But I agree that his type of game is sustainable for a long time.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Uhh he is having a career season - But is that enough to assume that he's going to stay at this level for the next 5 years?

He regresses back to norm and this is a lot of money and term for a lower level 3rd liner.

Did I miss something? Lower level 3rd liner? He's closer to a 2C (Which he's not btw) than being a lower level 3rd liner.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Yeah such a trash playoff player. :rolleyes: Scoring 7 goals and 18 points in 24 playoff games played and scoring the cup winning goal is pretty damn good for a trash playoff player I'd say.

Haha!

Yeah he had a great run this year. He was trash the previous 2 runs and most others hence my opinion at the time.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Haha!

Yeah he had a great run this year. He was trash the previous 2 runs and most others hence my opinion at the time.

When Eller was a Hab he always seemed to up his game in the playoffs even if his scoring stats didn't show it. Eller was a very underappreciated player with Habs for many who only looked at his scoring stats and didn't see the other things he was good at on the ice.

Great to see him get rewarded with a new longterm contract and to also score the cup winning goal. He deserves it especially after all the crap he had to put up with from Michel Therrien.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Most players are "trash" in most play-off runs by that measure.

I mean he scored 1 goal and 8 points in 25 playoff games from 16-17 all against 1-2 round opponents. That’s trash by any measure. He had a good run in 15 but before that nothing of note.

Obviously he proved me wrong this year and good on him.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I mean he scored 1 goal and 8 points in 25 playoff games from 16-17 all against 1-2 round opponents. That’s trash by any measure. He had a good run in 15 but before that nothing of note.

But that's kind of missing the context. Eller's strength isn't even production, its possession, drawing penalties and two way play. But I can tell you in Montreal at least he was badly misused by Therrien. People who watch him regularly know he elevates in the playoffs, even when he doesn't score.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

A keyboard warrior calling Eller trash...OK He's only made the NHL, has a multi million dollar contract and now a Cup...
HF, never change...

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Very important guy for the caps in their playoff run, especially when backstrom got hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->