Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Lars Eller signs extenstion (5 years, $3.5M AAV)

Shagged Yer Nan

Tom Filthson
Feb 15, 2012
NoVa
It's obvious to me, maybe not others-- GMBM is giving out longer terms recently for a lower AAV (Kuzy, Oshie, Eller, Orlov) .

Lower AAV for these quality players = more cap space.
More cap space= more room to sign better players.

That said, in 5 years some of these will hurt lol.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yeah, he's not the "flashiest", but you can do worse than having him as your 3C.

He does his role just fine, I don't know why people complain. 10-15 goals and 30-ish points is the expected production of a #3C. $3.5M isn't the kind of salary that puts you in cap hell either.

The market for Cs is awfully thin now partly because of the Vegas expansion, I'm glad we got the top 3 C positions locked up in the long run.

Only thing to figure out now is a replacement for Beagle.

Reactions: ynotcaps and BHD

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Your argument is terrible
Eller is on pace for 43 pts

Bonino got 37 pts last year before signing that deal

I dont know why we should consider his 49 pts season that happened in 2013-2014 more than what he's produce lately.

BTW Eller is a also a playoff performer

Anyway it's not a Bonino vs Eller debate.

Im just saying that 3rd line center are easily worth 3M+ contract.

What in the f***?

Eller is a trash playoff player. Dime a dozen at best.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
That term is brutal.

I actually predict we'll see a lot more of these contracts throughout the year. With expansion all but guaranteed once more by 2021, the cap should rise at least $10M in that time ($5M this year, $5M the two years after). $3M will be nothing by then.

On the flip side, third liners will be happy to have guaranteed term because, well, they're third liners who have a significantly higher risk of not making more money on a future contract.

It's a win-win all the way around.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I love people's reaction at the term, acting like he's already 33 years old :laugh:

He is 28 years old, 5 years for a 28 years old guy, is very good.

logik47

Sep 14, 2014
I like that signing. Eller is a perfect 3C.

Meanwhile, in Dallas, Radek Faksa's contract is a bargain at 2,2M per season...

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
Could be worst. We have Stajan playing 4th for that price LOL and it was even signed when the cap was a lot lower.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I like that signing. Eller is a perfect 3C.

Meanwhile, in Dallas, Radek Faksa's contract is a bargain at 2,2M per season...

Faksa and Eller are very similar players. I'd have either one on my team, no question about it.

2.2 is an awesome contract but that's the UFA vs RFA situation. No problem with Eller at 3.5 until he is 33. Those are exactly the UFA years you want to buy. He'll be close to exact same player at 33 as he is today.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I'm curious, Hab fans, what did you guys do with the two 2nd round picks you got for Eller?

Didn't they trade them for Shaw?

It's pretty funny that 2 seasons after been traded to the Caps, Eller could be traded back to the Habs and immediately become their #1 Center. Being a Habs fan must be really hard...

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I'm curious, Hab fans, what did you guys do with the two 2nd round picks you got for Eller?

Joni Okinen in 2017, 2018 to come.

It's pretty funny that 2 seasons after been traded to the Caps, Eller could be traded back to the Habs and immediately become their #1 Center. Being a Habs fan must be really hard...

The bolded part says a lot about your credibility for the second part.

:dunce:

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

Over Desharnais? Ha.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
With the Canadiens, he was often frustating, but I liked him.

There's some truth that the offense seemed to die on his stick.

But a good player.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Evidence?

6 goals in 50 games

His career PPG is higher in the playoffs than in the regular season. And before you say that those numbers are inflated by his run in 13-14, that's the nature of bottom-6 players (they're inconsistent).

That’s the thing he was consistently decent in ‘14.

Consistently awful every single other year.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
As a pens fan I think the AVV is fine but a year too long. But compared to other deals it isn't terrible.
Habs fan should keep their trap closed considering they got the hot garbage that is Shaw.

Sword

May 26, 2014
He used to play for a coach that hated him, he would get benched for every little mistake. He wasn't even rewarded with PP time even when he played well. He would be played on the wing even though he performed better as a center. Not to mention the french media was constantly bashing him, so they could make their little Davey look better. How was he supposed to produce more playing under those circumstances?

I'm glad to see him finally get PP time and to no one's surprise, he's producing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad