GDT: WSH @ DET | 7:30pm EST | 3/22/18 | NBCSN

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Probably the best puck movement we’ve had all year tbh. Haven’t seen us make that many 5-10 foot passes all year. AA should play the middle the remainder of the year

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Z played nearly 21 minutes tonight and I thought he looked gassed by his last few shifts. Even if they aren't going to play the kids more, maybe it's time to see if Nielsen can earn his contract a bit and shoulder more minutes.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Z played nearly 21 minutes tonight and I thought he looked gassed by his last few shifts. Even if they aren't going to play the kids more, maybe it's time to see if Nielsen can earn his contract a bit and shoulder more minutes.

Which for the life of me, and I'm sure many others, I'm not sure why not.

MataiAJ13

Mar 19, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I sure as sh** don't think XO should be in the lineup. I think Witkowski should be playing with the Wings. The few games he has played in he has shown that he has the old school mentality, almost like the enforcer role. I was actually at the Avalanche game and it frustrated the hell out of me to see maybe 2 players actually try. No one was finishing their checks and it really didn't seem that many of them cared. I miss the good old days where the ref's actually let the guys play the game. No p***yfooting around, if there was a big hit or a hit on the captain, players stuck up for eachother. Its kind of fu**** that the Players Safety people are taking that away. I have been a Wings fan my whole life and it is really tough to watch them play this way. If only we could bring back Stevie Y in management... I think he would get us back to where we used to be....I mean look at what he has done in Tampa. Just my 2 cents.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I miss Tatar. Nice to see him fitting in there in Vegas. Gets one tonight. Now back to back games.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Which for the life of me, and I'm sure many others, I'm not sure why not.

Yeah, I'd like to see some of the IT broken up differently. AA, Bert, Larkin, and Mantha ended up with fair amounts. Bump five minutes or so off Z's total and divvy that up to Svech and Frk. They aren't centers so how guys are used would need to be tweaked a bit, but I don't think that'd be the worst thing.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Nielsen on pace for a career low in points (barring truncated seasons). And only 4 years left on that juicy deal as he turns age 34 next month. Ouch.

And I actually like Frans as a player. But there's no way he lives up to this deal, right?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Nielsen on pace for a career low in points (barring truncated seasons). And only 4 years left on that juicy deal as he turns age 34 next month. Ouch.

And I actually like Frans as a player. But there's no way he lives up to this deal, right?

Probably not, but it might not look so bad if he was given more of an opportunity to. How long did he get stuck as a "shutdown" line this year? The Wings pay the guy $5m and relegate him to being Glendening Deluxe.

edit: something nice to think about here. Add Weiss's buyout to it and we're paying anywhere from around $6.3m to $7.8m a year to fill that spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014

He never was going to.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Probably not, but it might not look so bad if he was given more of an opportunity to. How long did he get stuck as a "shutdown" line this year? The Wings pay the guy $5m and relegate him to being Glendening Deluxe.

edit: something nice to think about here. Add Weiss's buyout to it and we're paying anywhere from around $6.3m to $7.8m a year to fill that spot.

It's perplexing to me. He's obviously solid defensively, but he's also no slouch offensively. His career shootout numbers are insane considering how many attempts he has. You don't rock that kind of % if you're primarily a shutdown guy. Him with Mantha and Bert would've made a lot more sense than playing him with Helm and Abby.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Are you really surprised? This team won't even have a 25-goal scorer. The last time this team didn't have a 25-goal scorer in a full season was 1946, and they only played 50 games a season back then.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I sure as sh** don't think XO should be in the lineup. I think Witkowski should be playing with the Wings. The few games he has played in he has shown that he has the old school mentality, almost like the enforcer role. I was actually at the Avalanche game and it frustrated the hell out of me to see maybe 2 players actually try. No one was finishing their checks and it really didn't seem that many of them cared. I miss the good old days where the ref's actually let the guys play the game. No p***yfooting around, if there was a big hit or a hit on the captain, players stuck up for eachother. Its kind of fu**** that the Players Safety people are taking that away. I have been a Wings fan my whole life and it is really tough to watch them play this way. If only we could bring back Stevie Y in management... I think he would get us back to where we used to be....I mean look at what he has done in Tampa. Just my 2 cents.

All things considered with the state of the Wings, I agree about Witkowski. I was initially not impressed with the signing but he grows on you. He's not a liability and at least fills a purpose for only 750k. He's liked in Hockeytown and I listen closely to the voice of the fans.

He's played mostly forward in his last few (and far in between) games. I think he's a better D than forward actually. I wonder with that blunder by XO they call him up. Why not?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
There were 10 games scheduled tonight. Pending the VGK/SJ contest, the other 8 winners each scored at least 4 goals.

And Detroit lost 1-0. :facepalm:

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
It's perplexing to me. He's obviously solid defensively, but he's also no slouch offensively. His career shootout numbers are insane considering how many attempts he has. You don't rock that kind of % if you're primarily a shutdown guy. Him with Mantha and Bert would've made a lot more sense than playing him with Helm and Abby.

That's how this coach thinks. Low-event hockey.
You throw Glennie out on L4 and Nielsen on L3 and hope your other lines scratch out a goal or 2

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Yeah, I'd like to see some of the IT broken up differently. AA, Bert, Larkin, and Mantha ended up with fair amounts. Bump five minutes or so off Z's total and divvy that up to Svech and Frk. They aren't centers so how guys are used would need to be tweaked a bit, but I don't think that'd be the worst thing.

One shift in the 3rd I swear they threw out Larkin centering Z and Nyquist. Woke me up for a second but it didn't last. It's hilarious- people have been posting for 3 years to lower Z's minutes, just tweak as you say, but Blashill refuses. This team is a trip. :laugh:

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
AA’s best game in a while. Play him in the middle. Guy is so dangerous getting the puck deep in his own end and attacking d with speed in space

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
That was BS goalie interference. AA got robbed of a nice goal.

But better we lose, this time the incompetence of the video reviews work for us.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That was BS goalie interference. AA got robbed of a nice goal.

But better we lose, this time the incompetence of the video reviews work for us.
Rule 69.1 (bolded by me):

"Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper's ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal; or (2) an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, inside or outside of his goal crease."

He absolutely prevented Grubauer from being able to reposition to address AA's shot. That's textbook interference, based on the current ruling.

Now, do I think they should change the rule? Yes. Take any notion of subjectivity out of it, either by saying nobody enters the crease, or by saying interference requires contact. But for last night, it was the right call to take that goal off the board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->