Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Capitals re-sign Trevor van Riemsdyk (2 years, $950k AAV)

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
That's surprising considering how little ice time he gets. I'd think TVR would want to go somewhere where he could get at least #6 minutes.

He's the sort of guy that the flat cap squeezed the hardest and this is the fifth straight season he's received declining usage. Can't blame him for taking the sure thing over the risk of ending up in Europe.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
The blessings of our Lord and Saviour, TMFVR, goes far beyond our understanding and this price. He is a fair and benevolent god.

"Believe in me, and allow my love and strength to lead you to salvation and prosperity." - TMFVR Genesis 69:420

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Would be a good pick for seattle 1 year under a million trade him for a mid round pick at trade deadline

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Caps didn't need to do this in prep for the expansion draft, but maybe to ensure they still have a decent 6/7 defenseman post-ED.

As currently rostered, they have Carlson, Orlov, Schultz, Dillon, Jensen and Siegenthaler eligible for Seattle to take. (Unless they're planning a side deal where Seattle takes TVR instead of another guy, but I shudder at the cost that would entail.)

Edit: minor self correction: Siegenthaler will be an unsigned RFA, so he doesn't factor into the exposure requirements. And Michael Kempny is also eligible, but considering he's been out with a torn achilles all year, I don't think hes worth discussing vis-a-vis the expansion draft.

Last edited:

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I feel like Orlov will be traded to make cap room this offseason

tvr is our new depth until hopefully the cap goes up after Ovi is signed

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Is this an expansion move?

Its possible that Schutz is not protected. Right shot defense are hard to come by. This is both insurance for the Caps and security for TVR. He was caught without a chair when the music stopped before this season and this saves him from a repeat of that for nexzt season

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
For TVR, whose seem his minutes go down year after year, Washington is about as good of a landing spot as it gets. 950k is a good price for a 6/7 for any team and TVR is capable. It’s a good deal for the Caps and not a bad way for TVR to keep making a solid living on a good team.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
TVR's situation bares no relationship at all to Orlov
Why not? They’re going to have to make room somewhere, even before the flat cap they were going to be tight pretty soon; that tvr and some guys are under pressure to sign cheap is convenient, get some decent cheaper guys for less money and save money during a retool after the realistic window closes may be their backup plan; some young guys in AHL too

I think it’s backup depth for a number of scenarios not that they have a super detailed plan for every roster spot

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Why not? They’re going to have to make room somewhere, even before the flat cap they were going to be tight pretty soon; that tvr and some guys are under pressure to sign cheap is convenient, get some decent cheaper guys for less money and save money during a retool after the realistic window closes may be their backup plan; some young guys in AHL too

I think it’s backup depth for a number of scenarios not that they have a super detailed plan for every roster spot
It’s kind of unclear how much space they’ll need though, I think Kempny probably is much higher on the chop block than anyone else. He’s suffered two devastating injuries in three seasons and his role has kind of been usurped.

Hard to see a team booting existing healthy players who contribute out for a guy who has been a huge question mark for 3 seasons now.

You don’t move Orlov unless you absolutely have to, and Caps have so many other areas they could free space up. They have $8 million tied up in Hagelin, Panik, and Kempny, those seem like way more likely trade victims.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Well Orlov is a 20 min a night left defenseman and TVR is a healthy scratch backup right defenseman. TVR has shown he can handle 3rd pair rd duty and if Schultz is lost in the expansion draft the Caps still have Carlson, Jensen, and TVR as right shot defensemen. The only relationship that TVR has to Orlov is that this signing might indicate that Schultz will be left unprotected rather then one of the left defensemen, Dillon and Orlov.

Also, signing TVR makes him eligible for the ED.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad