Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Brendan Dillon signs extension (4 years, $3.9M AAV)

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
This is a good deal for Washington, this is the type of defenseman that they needed. Dillon’s possession numbers are good.

Dillon is a good defensive defenseman he’s not to flashy and won’t put up points on the board but he’ll stop goals from being scored on Samsonov.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
What were people thinking he was going to get? I thought it was the $3-4mil range...and this is what that is so...why the shock?

Anything under $4 mil a year is a good to solid deal. This is a solid deal and he is a solid player. Happy that this trade worked out for both parties (well depending on what the Sharks do with the picks but I thought Wilson got good value from the deal).

Reactions: third man in

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I mean, is Dillon quality? He's okay. Typical shutdown guy. If I'm the Caps, I'm more like why are we paying 9 million dollars and term for three # 4 defensemen on a good day.
Aren’t the Penguins paying nearly 5mil with term for a defensemen that wasn’t even good enough to play defense for one of the worst defensive teams in the league? Seems like Dillon and the Caps both got a fair deal for what he brings and he should make a good partner for Carlson, something the Caps have been looking for.

As for Jensen and Kempny, Kempny is likely out for the year now. And even if you think Dillon is only a 4, his strengths seem to match up really well with Carlson’s weaknesses.

Reactions: Laus723 and crab

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Aren’t the Penguins paying nearly 5mil with term for a defensemen that wasn’t even good enough to play defense for one of the worst defensive teams in the league? Seems like Dillon and the Caps both got a fair deal for what he brings and he should make a good partner for Carlson, something the Caps have been looking for.

As for Jensen and Kempny, Kempny is likely out for the year now. And even if you think Dillon is only a 4, his strengths seem to match up really well with Carlson’s weaknesses.

lol Pens are paying 9M for just a #4 and a #6. Glass houses....

Reactions: third man in

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I though he'd be 3.5 X3. Seems like a pretty decent deal for the Caps. I really wanted him in Vancouver.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

:'(

Didn't realize Kempny was out for the year. Makes more sense that way.

Reactions: caps4cup

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Seems fair. Imagine that he’ll likely play with Carlson? Having Orlov on the other pair gives them a good puck mover on both the top pairs

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Dillon is fine, but I was kinda hoping for an upgrade here. The opportunity cost is kinda squandered, but it's probably better than betting it all on Kempny regaining his 2018 form.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
he was meh in his time here so far but if he pushes jenson and others out of lineup then its good

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
This is a good deal for Washington, this is the type of defenseman that they needed. Dillon’s possession numbers are good.

Dillon is a good defensive defenseman he’s not to flashy and won’t put up points on the board but he’ll stop goals from being scored on Samsonov.
And also Tom Wilson doesn’t have to fight every single fight for the Caps anymore. I think Dillon is the nuanced Orpik role.

I think Dillon has been a good vet and provides a much-needed net-clearing role. I like this signing.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Is he top-4 in Washington?
The depth chart is probably Carlson, Orlov, Kempny, Dillon, Jensen, Siegenthaler.

They are also graduating Martin Ferhervary to the NHL as a full time-player this season, and Alexei Alexeev is probably due to get his cup of coffee this year (though in this weird year, it's not clear where he plays).

The Kempny injury might put them in the market for another D in free agency, I'd imagine.

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh
This thread turns into a Pens vs Caps fan peeing contest completely unsurprising :popcorn:

Seems about fair value, maybe a year too long or 250k ooverpayment but it seems about right

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Dillon is fine, but I was kinda hoping for an upgrade here. The opportunity cost is kinda squandered, but it's probably better than betting it all on Kempny regaining his 2018 form.
Dillon is good, but they likely need another PMD to go along with Carlson and Orlov, unless they think Fehrevary can fill that role adequately next year.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
He's a 4/5 d-man who plays extremely physical, can skate well, and while he has no offensive talent (aside from the Nashville end to end goal), he doesn't handle the puck like a grenade. Perfect guy to play with an elite RHD offensive d-man, ya know, like Carlson.

$3.9M is very reasonable. San Jose couldn't afford him with Vlasic, Burns, and Karlsson, but this is a great deal.

Reactions: Marshall

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
This is a good move for the Caps. Dillon skates well, has good size and reach, and is a physical force. He is a warrior and plays playoff style hockey. He has excelled on the PK for top PK teams as well. He has a strong reputation as a good locker room guy and he fit right in.

Criticizing him based off of his limited time in the Reirden/Caps meltdown, where the whole team sucked, doesn’t make sense. You might as well scrap the whole team based on their play during that time. New coach. New energy. New team. He will do well with Laviolette.

There is also next to no one at LD in free agency this season and certainly no one better who will be cheaper than Dillon’s new contract. The trade market at LD for a team with low cap space is bad. The Caps needed to get this deal done. There was no one else out there that made sense for them. Plus Kempny’s Achilles heal is trashed now.

Last edited:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
he was meh in his time here so far but if he pushes jenson and others out of lineup then its good

You do know that Caps assistant coach of defense, Cashman, was basically an AHL coach? The Caps d-group was so misguided. I believe Carlson, Dillon, Orlov, Jensen are your top 4 d-men, with Fever/Siegenthaler your 5/6 guys. With Kempny on LTIR, you have some salary cap room to bring someone else in via trade or free agency. I find Siegenthaler to not be a reliable #6 guy yet.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
You do know that Caps assistant coach of defense, Cashman, was basically an AHL coach? The Caps d-group was so misguided. I believe Carlson, Dillon, Orlov, Jensen are your top 4 d-men, with Fever/Siegenthaler your 5/6 guys. With Kempny on LTIR, you have some salary cap room to bring someone else in via trade or free agency. I find Siegenthaler to not be a reliable #6 guy yet.
can call it whatever you want, definitely subpar coaching. Thought highly of Dillon before he got to the caps. Didnt say he was bad, just nothing that exciting either. Jensen is a dumpster fire of disaster. Siegs is ok but again nothing special. Kempny really hasnt been back to the level he played in the cup run for whatever reason (injuries). So not sure if coaching can fix all of that but hope so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad