Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Backstrom extension with Caps (5 years, $9.2M AAV)

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
"If you want loyalty, buy a dog" - Marc Bergevin

I get what you're saying but the NHL is a business. Players themselves bring that all the time when they sign with another team.

The reality is if you hold on to your veterans for too long you're shooting yourself in the foot as an organization.

I do agree however that you still have to keep 1 or 2 core veterans if only to pass on the torch to the new generation and make sure your organization doesn't take the Oilers/Sabres route.

Yes Marc Bergevin is the guy I'd go to for GMing and organizational management advice.

Wonder if he still kicks himself for letting go Radulov even with Radulov willing to give a discount or if it's just the fanbase.

Reactions: Kallio

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
So you think this is a good deal?

He'll probably underplay the end of it but that makes up for him overplaying it for the next 2 years. He should still at least be a defensively responsible 2C at 37. It's much better than letting him go and trying to fill the hole at C some other way.

Capitals are the top team in the NHL, even if he nosedives they become what, a 5-10 team? Not a big deal

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Obviously. But that is a lot of money for a player his age thats not named Ovy or Crosby etc
There are only four names in the past decade or so to score more, so the problem here is more that you don’t respect Backstrom’s name among his peers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad