Writing Ted a Letter

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Friends,

As I've said here many times, my dad raised me up on the Caps from Day 1.

You may (or may not) have noticed that I've not been around much lately. That's because he passed away after a long battle with multiple myeloma on February 26, and sick as it is, one of my first thoughts was that he never got to see his beloved team hoist the Stanley Cup.

In the weeks since his death, I've been mulling over a letter to Uncle Ted about my dad... not only because he was a lifelong fan and STH, but because he knew Ted personally, both as his dentist and as the dentist to the Wizards. (He was offered the Caps, too, but confessed to me that he hadn't done that kind of crisis dental work in way too long. :) )

I've never received a reply to any email I sent Leonsis, but I feel compelled to tell him who my dad was, what he went through, and what the Caps meant to him. Maybe ask for a small donation from the team to myeloma research via my dad's tribute page or something.

So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about such a letter. Is it worth doing? Does he still even use/respond to the old email?

Thanks in advance,
Cali

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Sorry for your loss, ccf. I don't have any advice on the letter but I recall Ted saying he wasn't answering his old email address anymore. Maybe go through his blog?

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Sorry for your loss, ccf. I don't have any advice on the letter but I recall Ted saying he wasn't answering his old email address anymore. Maybe go through his blog?

I am sorry man. I would go through blog or twitter to send to Ted. Or try and get it to him through the Caps. Send it to Kettler or Verizon or try and start a dialogue via any media with a guy like John Walton or Craig Laughlin to get the letter to him.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I'm sorry for your loss. I've been a Caps fan since the late 70s. They have been a great value to watch even with the mediocre management over the years. The Caps are somewhat like family for me. Dysfunctional overall perhaps, but I love em' anyway!

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Sorry for you loss, Cali.

There's definitely the letter to Kettler route, as well as the Caps season ticket holder rep, and numerous official Twitter accounts to poke (Caps PR, Caps STH, etc.). I can't speak for RMNB but they're usually looking for human interest type stories. Walton as mentioned, Wes Johnson (PA announcer), Vogel, Kocharov as well. Anyone he knew professionally connected to MSE (think trainers or the like within the Wizards org) could be a possibility too.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I missed your posts and had a bad feeling that this might be the reason why. Sorry for your loss.

On the plus side, the next two months look pretty good Caps hockey wise.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
Sorry for your loss. I would reach out to someone in Caps PR/Community relations.

I share Atlas's sentiments. A dysfunctional family to say the least. I hope to see a Cup raised before my number is called.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
CCF deepest condolences. I think it would be good to reach out to Ted. If he does not contact you back, don't give up. Send him a certified letter. Call him, leave him a voice mail. Try the PR avenue. Comment on his blog. Tell him your dad had an AOL account, complement him for a job well done there.... who didn't have one at some point. I think its a good thing to do, tell your dad's story. Sounds like a great guy, dentists always seem laid back and fun to be around, and a hardcore caps fan, you are lucky to have had such a cool dad.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Vogel has been pretty good about responding to my email. give him a try. I am sure Ted would want to hear about your dad.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Friends,

As I've said here many times, my dad raised me up on the Caps from Day 1.

You may (or may not) have noticed that I've not been around much lately. That's because he passed away after a long battle with multiple myeloma on February 26, and sick as it is, one of my first thoughts was that he never got to see his beloved team hoist the Stanley Cup.

In the weeks since his death, I've been mulling over a letter to Uncle Ted about my dad... not only because he was a lifelong fan and STH, but because he knew Ted personally, both as his dentist and as the dentist to the Wizards. (He was offered the Caps, too, but confessed to me that he hadn't done that kind of crisis dental work in way too long. :) )

I've never received a reply to any email I sent Leonsis, but I feel compelled to tell him who my dad was, what he went through, and what the Caps meant to him. Maybe ask for a small donation from the team to myeloma research via my dad's tribute page or something.

So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about such a letter. Is it worth doing? Does he still even use/respond to the old email?

Thanks in advance,
Cali

Pens fan here. Very sorry for your loss :(

I'm not sure which e-mail you used but I can tell you that I've talked with Ted a few times over e-mail (including recently) and he's always been very responsive. I'll PM you the e-mail I've used.

Best wishes and sorry for your loss.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Sorry for your loss. I lost my dad last year to Brain Cancer (only 46 years old) and I'll tell you now it does get easier with time, you never forget but time definitely eases things.

Go for the letter I think it's a wonderful idea. I think Ted would want to know. The caps seem pretty good for these kind of things. Especially because your dad was such a caps fan and known to the organization.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Sorry for your loss cali, Def look into getting in touch with Ted as the board is saying the best way I can think of would be to go through one of the media guys explain what happened they should get it up the wire for you.
Caps family here has your back condolences. ..

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
May he RIP Cali. Cancer is brutal and too many of us have been touched by it.

Ted is hard to reach these days but its certainly worth a shot. Good luck.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
So sorry to hear your loss CCF.. We're all family here regardless of our views on certain things and I wouldn't have it any other way. If I had any kind of recommendation you could possibly make a post on the Caps forum for fans, I would think Ted would browse that message board from time to time, maybe you would be contacted that way. I'll PM you the link.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
CCF - so sorry for your loss. If it's any consolation, whatever your Dad meant to you and provided you will stay with you for as long you're alive.

If writing to Ted about your Dad and his love of the Caps feels right to you, then do it. And if that's something you want to share with others, consider sharing it here with others in the Caps family - where it may resonate with folks that have had similar experiences.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Thanks so much everybody for the kind words and great ideas. My family has decided to keep dad's tickets (which means great seats will be available for several games each year) and when I spoke this morning with his rep, he said he can make sure the letter reaches Ted.

So I'm going to try that, but I will share it with you all once I figure out what to say.

Go Caps!

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Sorry for your loss CCF. I know how you feel. :(

At least my father got to see his Red Sox finally win a World Series.

He wasn't a Caps fan, per se, but he wanted them to win for my sake. :)

Anyway, I think sending that letter to Ted is a good idea.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Here's what I sent. Hopefully it reaches him.

Dear Mr. Leonsis:
I’m writing to share the story of two Caps fans, my dad and me.

On February 26, my father, Marc Doctors, reached the end of an eight-year battle with multiple
myeloma. At the time of his passing, my dad was 68 years old. I am 42. My first Caps game was the
first-ever Caps game. I went with him, though I don’t remember. I was two years old. He was a season
ticket holder ever since.

You knew him, of course. He was a partner at Washington Center for Dentistry, dentists to the Wizards
and to you. He told me about the times he treated you, said you were a nice guy, friendly and interesting
to talk to. About half of the 400ish people who attended his memorial service were patients. Many said
he’d talked about my two sisters and me over the years. Maybe he told you a story about me, his oldest
daughter, the one who loved the Caps as much as he did, while you sat in his chair.

He read your book, and he gave it to me. He shared your view of life, that it is meant to be enjoyed and
cherished. He always had fun, whatever he was doing. And he valued people. Since his death, I’ve heard
from many people that he touched their lives and that even in a crowd, he made them feel as if he was
talking just to them. He gave them his time and attention. He was a great listener. I used to laugh at
how he’d jump out of his seat as soon as the horn sounded to wander the concourse between periods,
first at Cap Centre then Verizon. But for him, it was about running into old friends and making new
ones. He loved being a part of the Caps family.

He took great satisfaction from his work, from helping people and being successful at it. In recent years,
before he became too sick to practice dentistry, he talked a lot about his work with the Wizards players.
He felt that it was special helping such talented young men learn to care for themselves and protect
their health and their futures.

He played hard, too—basketball, skiing, motorcycling. He loved to travel and eat well and drink
heartily. His beer league hockey team, the Rusty Bolts, won a championship once. I wish he could have
seen the Caps do the same.

I remember leaving early once from Cap Centre when they were losing. Ron Weber was on the radio as
we pulled out of the parking lot. The Caps scored, I think, three goals in five minutes. We never left
early again. The blizzard of ’78. Easter ’87. The Goal a year later. Druce on the Loose. Juneau’s OT
winner. Fedorov’s go-ahead strike. So many of my memories of him revolve around the Caps.

My sisters, my stepmom, and I have decided to keep his tickets, even though I live in California, and
they don't quite live and breathe the Caps the way he did and I do. He kept those seats even when he
couldn’t use them, and they are part of his legacy. He shared them with a friend, and we’ll keep that
relationship alive for him too.

Dad hadn’t been well enough to go to a game in person in two years. But we would still watch together
on TV or over the phone from across the country. And though cheering the Caps won’t ever be the
same, I’ll still do it with my all my heart and with my Langway or Bondra or Backstrom sweater,
whatever the day’s game calls for.

The Caps were a huge part of his life and of our father-daughter bond, and I thought you’d like to know.
Thanks for reading and Go Caps!

Reactions: third man in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad