Wrist Shot Power

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
I dont know if this has a particular name or not but this is what I do and it works.

Take a piece of pvc pipe or a wooden broom handle or something like it and drill a hole in it. Thread a piece of rope through the holes and make a knot on one end. Tie the other end to a weight (depends on your strength). Grip the pipe with your arms extended straight out from your body (palms down). Now twist your wrists until the rope is wound up around the pipe. Rinse and repeat.

That is the best way I have found to increase forearm strength.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I dont know if this has a particular name or not but this is what I do and it works.

Take a piece of pvc pipe or a wooden broom handle or something like it and drill a hole in it. Thread a piece of rope through the holes and make a knot on one end. Tie the other end to a weight (depends on your strength). Grip the pipe with your arms extended straight out from your body (palms down). Now twist your wrists until the rope is wound up around the pipe. Rinse and repeat.

That is the best way I have found to increase forearm strength.

I saw a contraption like this at the gym but had no idea what it was for. Now I know, thanks.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
Does anyone have any drills to do that improve my Wrist Shot Power.

Get a weighted puck. I got one and it really works. Just keep shooting it over and over. It makes a real puck feel like one of those hollow plastic street pucks from back in the day that used to weigh close to nothing.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
One thing I do to strengthen my wrists is to hold the stick regularly and shoot. I then keep my body position in the same position for the wrist shot but I move my hands closer. With my hands about 2" away from eachother and using a wood stick and/or a stick weight after about 25 or so I can feel it in both wrists.

If you try this make sure that you are taking wrist shots and not taking a golf swings. The heavier the ball/puck/stick the better. Also focus on rolling your wrists over.

Also, a lot of power comes from rolling your wrists and flipping the puck off the toe... as well as weight transfer. So work on form as well as wrist strength.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Weighted puck in addition to a weighted stick. Find some cheapo shaft, like an Easton Octane, fill the thing up with sand and stick the butt end back in, and voila weighted shaft.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
But if it breaks, you're ****ed.
For the weighted stick you can get the same results by taping a small weight to the end of your shaft. Or even two or three weighted rings that a person would put on a baseball bat.

Lupul*

One thing I do to strengthen my wrists is to hold the stick regularly and shoot. I then keep my body position in the same position for the wrist shot but I move my hands closer. With my hands about 2" away from eachother and using a wood stick and/or a stick weight after about 25 or so I can feel it in both wrists.

If you try this make sure that you are taking wrist shots and not taking a golf swings. The heavier the ball/puck/stick the better. Also focus on rolling your wrists over.

Also, a lot of power comes from rolling your wrists and flipping the puck off the toe... as well as weight transfer. So work on form as well as wrist strength.

This worked well with holding my hands two inches away from each other, as my wrists feel sore. I had a major break threw i use to not transfer my weight, in other words i didn't use my legs to generate any power, I would only use my arms. I used my legs today and my wrist shot was much harder, I also used that stickhanling drills that the Habs fan posted from USNDP and that helped my stickhanling a lot. Thanks to all who posted and helped me improve.

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
the pipe and weight technique works well my advice is to find a spot for a net in your basement and just shoot like crazy that is how i developed my shot.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
This worked well with holding my hands two inches away from each other, as my wrists feel sore. I had a major break threw i use to not transfer my weight, in other words i didn't use my legs to generate any power, I would only use my arms. I used my legs today and my wrist shot was much harder, I also used that stickhanling drills that the Habs fan posted from USNDP and that helped my stickhanling a lot. Thanks to all who posted and helped me improve.

glad i could help. I've noticed a HUGE improvement since I started doing this and I dont even do it till I'm sore. It's kind of sad that my wrist shot is about as fast as my snap shot :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->