Wrestling angle do overs

Oil Dude

Jan 10, 2010
Alberta
If you could travel back in time and fix wrestling angles , which ones would you do and how would you change it?

I will start.

The WCW invasion angle and the ECW angle.

This could have been the single biggest money making angle in wrestling history. I get that there was issues with contracts for WCW's biggest stars but imagine if instead of "stalker" DDP you had Sting going after Undertaker , Goldberg going after Austin , Hall and Nash showing up and either going after DX or joining them, all led by Bischoff.

Imagine ECW guys showing up and just reaking havoc , RVD and Sabu attacking the Rock and Sock connection , having Terry Funk , Sandman and others beating the hell out of anyone who was in the "Hardcore" division , all led by Paul Heyman.

WWE dropped the ball on this one big time, it could have turned into something huge with title unification matches galore at a Wrestlemainia....total dropped ball.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
This would be a very long list.

I know everyone likes to point out the Invasion but honestly with the contract situations and whatnot, I don't think there even was a possible good way of doing that storyline. The only thing they could've done to make the Invasion better (other than wait another year for contracts to expire) was to have more WCW guys go over in their matches to actually establish them as a credible threat and not force WWE guys to jump ship for no reason.

Anyways.

Lesnar's current run of suplex city, domination man thing should've been done immediately on his return and he should've easily gone over Triple H at WM. That would've freed up Undertaker to lose to an actual young talent (like Bray) and establish another main eventer.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Sting as the 3rd man back in 1996.

The main reason is to get rid of Hogan, 'cos he's a ****. His contract was going to be up soon, and him being the 3rd man was his way of making sure he stayed top dog. NWO without Hogan would make me interested in it, and having my fav WCW wrestler at the time in it has me on board instantly. As it went down I just didn't care at all.

Another is give Bret Hart a really good run as champion in the initial post Hogan era. Again Hogan is a ****.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
The Kane vs Imposter Kane storyline.

Imagine if instead of Festus/Luke Gallows or whatever, it was Luke Harper instead. Man, now that would have been sick. I wish they pulled the trigger on that angle back then. Kane is so irrelevant because of his age and the way he's been booked. Would have been the perfect reboot for the character.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
WCW invasion w/o a doubt

Nexus vs Cena

I think these 2 are my #1 and #2 biggest failures in all of wrestling in terms of angles. These are the only 2 that I can really say would have changed the game and it missed. The angles are ****ing awesome ideas, but poorly executed and terribly written.

Some smaller ones...

1) CM Punk's return after MITB: Man... WWE is STUPID for not giving him a month or two off and building this to be bigger than anything. I remember when WCW blew Hogan vs. Goldberg on live television instead of making people pay for it and WWE has used it in every one of their DVDs to bash WCW. WWE was not patient enough in this angle. The payoff would have been through the roof to leave him off tv w/ tons of tweets and maybe even a wrestling match defending the WWE title in ROH (with Vince's writing of course).

2) DB vs. the Authority. We got to where we needed to be, but do you remember the promise after Summerslam that year? I think we went through a Raw thread before it even started. While the ending ended up what we wanted, they blew this angle badly.

3) Rusev, Wyatt, and KO vs. Cena angles. If you want people to back Cena on his way to 16 titles, they could have done so by elevating all three of those guys OVER John Cena. Cena could have taken some time to recover and the fans would have actually been behind his return because he put over young guys who desperately needed that next level push. We could have built monster heels for the future and the beginning to the quest for title #16.

4) Austin's heel turn - Simply put.. you can't do it in his home state. :laugh: It was still awesome, but that could have been even bigger in an arena that could have possibly turned on him.

5) Ziggler/ADR Double turn. A+ double turn with an F- fallout.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Steve Austin's heel turn

Just don't do it, it ruined the best character in wrestling history in one fell swoop

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I still maintain that the mishandling of the Daniel Bryan arc was actually more beneficial even it was completely by accident.

It added a very natural element of realism.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Steve Austin's heel turn

Just don't do it, it ruined the best character in wrestling history in one fell swoop

It didn't ruin his character. It let him perform as a heel again, which is what he loved and was originally great at. But, yes I agree and even he agrees. Austin said on his podcast that the heel turn was the wrong time in hindsight. The only ruining that happened to Austin was when he ruined his neck and his knees, cutting his career short unfortunately.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
It's probably too late now but I would've turned the Wyatt Family face and had them actually "take down the machine" and have them go after the Authority. It felt so logical and...obvious so of course they didn't do it.

There's countless others but that's probably the most recent.

Oil Dude

Jan 10, 2010
Alberta
The NWO. Outright game changer however when that group got to ten billion members , many of which were mearly mid card guys it watered it down. I wish that they would have kept that group to elite former WWE guys. Not your Virgil's of the world.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It didn't ruin his character. It let him perform as a heel again, which is what he loved and was originally great at. But, yes I agree and even he agrees. Austin said on his podcast that the heel turn was the wrong time in hindsight. The only ruining that happened to Austin was when he ruined his neck and his knees, cutting his career short unfortunately.

I agree, but it didn't go over with the crowds. Face Austin was just to over. It could of been done better.

Already mentioned but Invasion was easily the biggest wasted opportunity in the companies history. Should of been amazing, and it wasnt.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
The NWO. Outright game changer however when that group got to ten billion members , many of which were mearly mid card guys it watered it down. I wish that they would have kept that group to elite former WWE guys. Not your Virgil's of the world.
I agree with that, but I think you keep Virgil around for the **** work that the rest of the elite nwo wouldn't want to do. Somebody calls out the nwo, have them send out Virgil to take the initial beating. Hell, let Virgil even take the occasional win to make him look somewhat legitimate or at least not looking like as much of a jobber.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Cena-Wyatt. They missed a great opportunity to establish Bray as the top heel in the company, and he still hasn't recovered.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey

I think Rock turning heel during that match would have been better.

Oil Dude

Jan 10, 2010
Alberta
The Shield & the Wyatt Family were both broken up way way too soon.

This I agree with one million times. Bray Wyatts promo when he stated that the Wyatts and Reigns/Ambrose are like the Hatfields and Macoys would have had far more impact had it been the Wyatts and the Sheild standing there. Reigns would have been backed by the fans as well had the Shield stayed together.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
I know Austin's heel turn was something Steve himself regrets, but man... the Summerslam match he had with Angle was one of the best matches between those two. Ever. And Austin's heel work during that match was some of his best work in the WWE.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

Austin turning heel again wasn't the problem. Having him turn heel in his home state, followed by horrendously botched Invasion angle was the problem.
===

- Rikishi turning heel and doing it for the Rock

- Burying Ryder the minute after he won the IC or US(can't remember) belt.

- Big Show and Kane in present day.

- Heel Jim Ross(both versions)

HeymanGuy

Sep 10, 2014
Kitchener, Ontario
I know Austin's heel turn was something Steve himself regrets, but man... the Summerslam match he had with Angle was one of the best matches between those two. Ever. And Austin's heel work during that match was some of his best work in the WWE.

Yeah I loved his heel run with the Alliance. There was some GOLD comedy in that era.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Steve Austin's heel turn

Which eventually circles back to the botching of the Invasion angle.

If you were gonna starting turning some WWE guys to join the alliance it should've been recent WCW guys like Y2J and Big Show not Austin, Angle and freaking Test.

Booker T and RVD were like the only 2 WCW/ECW guys who weren't completely buried. It really pissed me off how bad DDP got buried (another botched story line, it went from "Make Me Famous" to an actual psycho stalking.)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Austin turning heel again wasn't the problem. Having him turn heel in his home state, followed by horrendously botched Invasion angle was the problem.
===

- Rikishi turning heel and doing it for the Rock

- Burying Ryder the minute after he won the IC or US(can't remember) belt.

- Big Show and Kane in present day.

- Heel Jim Ross(both versions)

What a disaster that was. The build and chase of Ryder getting a title was great. Ryder got himself over w/ no help of WWE and WWE pays him back by burying the hell out of him. I'll never forget that pop when he won, though. Great moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad