Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Steve Mason (2 Years, $4.1M AAV)

Nikita Gucherov

Mar 12, 2015
Pros:

- Help at the position of the greatest need
- Capable of playing as the starter, as opposed to Hellebuyck
- Absolutely perfect term (which also explains the higher AAV) for our cap structure
- Owns a dog
- Has a track record of putting up league average numbers

Cons:

- Coming off a down year
- A tad too expensive

The pros outweigh the cons here, massively. I love this signing.

I think everything about the signing is perfect for all parties involved. Winnipeg needed a proven starter who has played well and won games behind garbage D.

He's hardly too expensive as the 24th highest paid goalie and the only starter on the market capable of playing 60 games at a high level. One down year doesn't completely diminish a guy's value (see Ben Bishop and Matt Duchene). As you stated, the term is perfect as it gives Helle a timeline to see if he is able to raise his game without being solely responsible (and hopefully Mason can push him--I don't think the Hutch/Pav combo was pushing him very hard).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Leafs just shelled out 3 x $6.25M for a veteran forward.

The Jets needed a solid goalie more than the Leafs needed a veteran forward.

It only takes one under-bidder to drive the price for a UFA. The Jets were willing to pay a bit more to get a UFA goalie and not give up any assets, because they won't have a significant cap crunch over the next couple of seasons.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Sitting here thinking to myself, shouldn't Chevy have gotten Mason for much cheaper then 4.1mil x2. The goalie market was kinda cornered off, Mason's options were limited and Philly wasn't resigning him.

Chevy overpriced Mason and way overpaid for Kulikov. If I were a fan of Winnipeg I wouldn't be happy with either deal Chevy signed.

Kevin Cheveldayoff maybe should have taken the day off on Saturday (July 1st).

24th highest paid goaltender in the league. Can you name 23 better goaltender than Steve Mason?

If not, why wouldn't Jets fans be happy with this deal?

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
24th highest paid goaltender in the league. Can you name 23 better goaltender than Steve Mason?

If not, why wouldn't Jets fans be happy with this deal?

I can name 23 goalies better then Mason but I'm not going to waist my time naming them. Winnipeg is happy with the deal that's all that matters.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't know about better but I can name 23 goaltenders I'd rather have than Steve Mason.

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
This is Winnipeg. We can't get good players on good contracts when it comes down to UFA's.

It's cold as F, taxes are high and the team have trouble making the playoffs. It's only because of the exciting future that we were even able to get these two guys.

Every time Chev brings in useful players, dumps the bad ones and fills our needs, i can't complain.

Why does everyone think it's so cold here? It's cold for like a month and a half (Jan./Feb). It's not like the games are played outside. And we don't live in igloos. Lol. And we have the most gorgeous summers. Canada is the best place to live. Taxes may be high, but we don't pay medical bills and it's a safe place to live and raise a family. Plus, I'm pretty sure many players and coaches have cabins here they come to every summer. Yes, there are some beautiful places in the US, but I'm bias and wouldn't wanna live anywhere else.

And while I'm way off track, I should add that I think it's kinda hypocritical some Canadian players don't wanna play in Canada but state they'd love to play for Team Canada.

:hockey:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I can name 23 goalies better then Mason but I'm not going to waist my time naming them. Winnipeg is happy with the deal that's all that matters.

Sure you can. I'm sure you could back it up with solid evidence as well.

I don't know about better but I can name 23 goaltenders I'd rather have than Steve Mason.

Cool. I want my team's goalie to be good at saving pucks.

hurricanedave

Apr 19, 2012
Although hindsight is usually the only way to be certain as to when a deal flops, it seems reasonable to make an immediate assessment as to what deals will backfire or pay dividends.

This deal may not backfire but I don't see it paying for itself in dividends either.

Mason's contract wasn't one of the better ones signed this weekend I'll leave it at that. It's only two years anyway so if it doesn't work out then Chevy isn't on the hook long term. Winnipeg is content with the deal and I'm happy Mason gets to focus on his game with a good young team in front of him in a small market.

Mason has a good looking defense in front of him.
LD Enstrom RD Byfuglien
LD Morrissey RD Trouba
LD Kulikov RD Myers

If Mason has confidence issues in this market with this defense then maybe he could be considered a head case, two years time will tell.

Interesting, what were his other offers?

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Compared to Kulikov it's a bargain.

Mase had some real good seasons here, before it went off the rails in the first four months of 16-17. Hope he does well for the Jets, and his dog doesn't get too cold.

tumblr_mr4vjidH2S1qm6joao1_500.jpg

Well I like him even better now.
Great looking dog.
Don't worry about the weather his pup will be just fine.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Smart. He made a bet on himself.

Sacrificed term for money. He was looking at around 10M for 3 years. Ended up with 8.2 over 2. A one year deal was too risky.

If he does well after this season, Winnipeg will be under the gun to get him re-signed long-term.
I don't think they will be if Helle continues his developmental arc. He's their future in net, no reason to get sentimental now for a stop gap. If Helle poops the bed, then it's another story. Mason likely wanted more term, compromised with money. If he performs I'll bet he chases a longterm deal in 2019. I think this is a good deal for both parties.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Mason is fine, gonna miss him in Philly. Guy can cost you on occasion, but can also flat- out steal multiple games. If your PK is shored up, he's a good option at 4 mill.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
This is one of the best contracts in FA when you consider the term, the team need and compare it to some of the other contracts cash-wise.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Good signing for Winnipeg. Not sure why any of my fellow Flyers fans are doubting this at all. outside of 16-17, he was the best goalie we've had in recent memory, easily. Must be forgetting when we rode himfor like 18 of 22 games down the stretch a few years back and he posted something insane like a 2.17 and .943 to get us in to the show.

Prone to some mental gaffes occasionally, but makes up for it by stealing games way more than he blows them. Sometimes has a hard time reading on the PK, and cant fully keep up, but if you can play to his strengths, you can easily be a contender in net. I'd say hes top 15-20 in the league outside of last year.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
You guys have the cap space and it's a safe term so what's with the grief

Mason is head case who you don't know what he is gonna give you Day to day or year to year. I think he is a top 15 talent in the 10-15 range but his performance and inconsistency is a major concern.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
This is a good deal for the Jets. 4.1 million is pretty good for a top 10-15 goalie in the league right now. Mason at his best and the young guys playing good hockey could mean we see the Jets in the playoffs next season.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Mason is head case who you don't know what he is gonna give you Day to day or year to year. I think he is a top 15 talent in the 10-15 range but his performance and inconsistency is a major concern.
Going from consistently bad to inconsistently bad is still an upgrade.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Going from consistently bad to inconsistently bad is still an upgrade.

Yeah, it's still an upgrade. I'm not going to argue that. You'll win a few more games because of goaltending than last year. I just don't know that Buff (32) and Wheeler (31) will stay as healthy and produce as much as last year.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah, it's still an upgrade. I'm not going to argue that. You'll win a few more games because of goaltending than last year. I just don't know that Buff (32) and Wheeler (31) will stay as healthy and produce as much as last year.

They have Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic, Morrissey, Trouba still developing and getting better.

+They already were among the league leaders in injuries last year, just Myers missed 71 games, Trouba 22(not just for injuries), Enstrom 22 games. They have much better depth on defense this year with Kulikov.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Wheeler has missed 3 games in the last 5 years and is the definition of a warrior out there. Buff has missed 25 in the last 5 years (4 due to suspension). Buff's playing time will decrease this year with the emergence of Trouba and Morrissey and if Myers is healthy. Him playing 27+ was a major detriment to his play early in the season

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Wheeler has missed 3 games in the last 5 years and is the definition of a warrior out there. Buff has missed 25 in the last 5 years (4 due to suspension). Buff's playing time will decrease this year with the emergence of Trouba and Morrissey and if Myers is healthy. Him playing 27+ was a major detriment to his play early in the season

You don't even need a good defense in front of Mason for him to play well. His play in Philadelphia is evidence of that. He just needs someone to support him mentally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad