Prospect Info: Wpg Jets - the best drafting team in the NHL

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
The Jets have drafted 8 - 1st rounders with the average 12.5 pick! Look at this record and more!

Winnipeg Jets Draft History
2016 Entry NHL Totals
Draft Num. Round Player Pos Drafted From
2016 Entry 2 1 Patrik Laine R Tappara Tampere [SM-liiga]
2016 Entry 18 1 Logan Stanley D Windsor Spitfires [OHL]

2015 Entry
2015 Entry 17 1 Kyle Connor L Youngstown Phantoms [USHL]
2015 Entry 25 1 Jack Roslovic C U.S. National Development Team [USHL]
2015 Entry 47 2 Jansen Harkins C Prince George Cougars [WHL]
2015 Entry 108 4 Michael Spacek C Pardubice HC [Czech]
2015 Entry 198 7 Sami Niku D JYP Jrs. (Finland)

2014 Entry
2014 Entry 9 1 Nikolaj Ehlers L Halifax Mooseheads [QMJHL]

2013 Entry Draft
Num. Round Player Pos Drafted From
2013 Entry 13 1 Josh Morrissey D Prince Albert Raiders [WHL]
2013 Entry 43 2 Nicolas Petan C Portland Winterhawks [WHL]
2013 Entry 59 2 Eric Comrie G Tri-City Americans [WHL]
2013 Entry 104 4 Andrew Copp C U. of Michigan [CCHA]
2013 Entry 127 5 Tucker Poolman D Omaha Lancers [USHL]

2012 Entry
2012 Entry 9 1 Jacob Trouba D U.S. National Development Team [USHL]
2012 Entry 70 3 Scott Kosmachuk R Guelph Storm [OHL]
2012 Entry 130 5 Connor Hellebuyck G Odessa Jackalopes [NAHL]

2011 Entry
2011 Entry 7 1 Mark Scheifele C Barrie Colts [OHL]
2011 Entry 67 3 Adam Lowry C Swift Current Broncos [WHL]

Have faith!

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I mean, this is just a list of players.

Other team's have drafted players as well.

EDIT: I was expecting some sort of analysis of other teams as well, not just gushing about players who have yet to step on an NHL rink.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
The Jets have drafted 8 - 1st rounders with the average 12.5 pick! Look at this record and more!

2016 Entry NHL Totals

2015 Entry

2014 Entry

2013 Entry Draft

2012 Entry

2011 Entry

Have faith!

They are lucky, and good at developing. Scheifele was a dumb pick at the time as most Analyst thought they over picked him by 15 or more Picks, Lowry was a great pick and a steal to get a solid 3rd line center in the third round, Trouba has had his up and downs over the years but is still young and looked to be our best Defender this season and could be a top Defender in the league soon, Hellebuyck is inconsistent but could be a solid starting goalie one day, Morrisey is looking like phenomenal defender, Petan was a steal but the Jets are totally under utilizing him for zero reasons, Comrie hasn't seen enough NHL ice for me to comment more than this upon him, Ehlers is amazing and should have been drafted 2nd in his draft class, Kyle Connor was a steal at 16 and will probable be better than at least 11 or 12 of the players who where picked ahead of him the way he's developing lately, Roslovic looks great as well but the problem is the Jets have so much skill and talent I don't know where to slot him until Wheeler and Little slow down there production and fall in the lineup, Harkins was a steal of a pick for 47 as he was Ranked around 20th and I think he will be a Third or even 2nd Liner in 2019 or 2020 as a rookie and I wouldn't be mistaken if he pulled 40 or more points as a rookie(depending what line he is on), Laine is Laine it was the 2nd pick in the draft so it looks like they picked the right guy, but when you have such a high pick you pick the best guy so nothing new there, then you have Stanley I really liked him as a pick but I was scared he would take to long to develop and not properly, but he looks like he could be a good replacement for Buff once Buff retires or something like that, Stanley is huge, violent
and super athletic for his size as he looks like a tree out there on the ice I think Stanley could very well be my favourite but most risky guy out of the bunch do to his recent injury but I think he will be the Jets 2nd Line/ Top 4 Left Defender in 2 years.

The Jets are good drafters but it mostly comes with luck and development.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

2016 Entry NHL Totals

2015 Entry

2014 Entry

2013 Entry Draft

2012 Entry

2011 Entry

Have faith!

The picks from 2014-present, as we have no idea how they will turn out.

Last edited:

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Lots of good picks in the 1st round. Outside of that very few, if any above average, regular contributors at the NHL level.

Lowry seems to be the best non first rounder we've drafted and even he's taken 6 years and is a bottom six guy.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
They are lucky, and good at developing. Scheifele was a dumb pick at the time as most Analyst thought they over picked him by 15 or more Picks, Lowry was a great pick and a steal to get a solid 3rd line center in the third round, Trouba has had his up and downs over the years but is still young and looked to be our best Defender this season and could be a top Defender in the league soon, Hellebuyck is inconsistent but could be a solid starting goalie one day, Morrisey is looking like phenomenal defender, Petan was a steal but the Jets are totally under utilizing him for zero reasons, Comrie hasn't seen enough NHL ice for me to comment more than this upon him, Ehlers is amazing and should have been drafted 2nd in his draft class, Kyle Connor was a steal at 16 and will probable be better than at least 11 or 12 of the players who where picked ahead of him the way he's developing lately, Roslovic looks great as well but the problem is the Jets have so much skill and talent I don't know where to slot him until Wheeler and Little slow down there production and fall in the lineup, Harkins was a steal of a pick for 47 as he was Ranked around 20th and I think he will be a Third or even 2nd Liner in 2019 or 2020 as a rookie and I wouldn't be mistaken if he pulled 40 or more points as a rookie(depending what line he is on), Laine is Laine it was the 2nd pick in the draft so it looks like they picked the right guy, but when you have such a high pick you pick the best guy so nothing new there, then you have Stanley I really liked him as a pick but I was scared he would take to long to develop and not properly, but he looks like he could be a good replacement for Buff once Buff retires or something like that, Stanley is huge, violent
and super athletic for his size as he looks like a tree out there on the ice I think Stanley could very well be my favourite but most risky guy out of the bunch do to his recent injury but I think he will be the Jets 2nd Line/ Top 4 Left Defender in 2 years.

I don't mind the optimism. Sometimes people tend to be more pessimistic than optimistic to save themselves from disappointments. Anyway, I think a lot of these predictions are pretty highly exaggerated and I bolded the ones that mostly caught the eye.

Morrisey had a great first year. I would maybe save the word phenomenal for guys that are in for a Calder race or doing something else extra ordinary. Petan didn't look ready enough to break into the top six this year. I wouldn't even argue that he should've been playing in the third line (on the left wing). He may not have the size to excel in the middle but I hope he has enough talent to become an impact winger one day. The Jets really didn't have the space for him. It's more of a matter of having logjam than being unutilized. Ehlers should have been drafted as 2nd overall in 2014? That's an absurd statement. Yes, he had a good year. Ups and downs like all young players, but he definitely doesn't go second in a re-draft. Not even close. I would take Draisaitl, Pastrnak and Ekblad over him in a heart beat and probably some others as well. By this logic, Connor should have been drafted either 4th or 5th in one of the best draft years in the history? Not a chance. Yeah Connor is a steal and I have high hopes for him but I try keep them within a reasonable limits. Then finally, Stanley. Being big or having large frame has little to nothing to do in terms of replacing team's #1D. Buff may not be quite there with the Norris level, but Stanley has Kilimanjaro to climb if he wishes to even become half as valuable. He's actually one of the prospects in the pool that I've least expectations.

Was going to say something about Helle, but for once, think I'll just keep it short. He definitely wasn't NHL ready. Might need a few years but right now I'd give him fifty fifty odds to making NHL long-term.

No offence or anything, but I just can't agree with most of these predictions. I truly hope you are right though. Certainly wouldn't be bad for the Jets.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

This is not true at all. McKenzie's list had him at 12.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They look to be very proficient in the first round and one could argue they might be the best there. The jury is still out on how well they stack up post first round though.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
This is not true at all. McKenzie's list had him at 12.

Others had him in mid to late second round. Button i think had him right around where we got him. every team has a list and every teams list is different. Even most of the TSN guys went "Who?" when 55 was picked. most of the"hockey people I know said it was a horrible choice at the time. Almost everyone wanted/predicted Couturier to the jets.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

How about:

Brennan Serville D Stouffville Spirit [OJHL]
Zach Yuen D Tri-City Americans [WHL]
Austen Brassard R Belleville Bulls [OHL]
Jason Kasdorf G Portage Terriers [MJHL]
Aaron Harstad D Green Bay Gamblers [USHL]

For every 1 player that pans out you can list 5 that have no chance of playing ever.

You want to claim "the best drafting team" then look at every pick, and look at every team in the NHL... then run the numbers and see.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Others had him in mid to late second round. Button i think had him right around where we got him. every team has a list and every teams list is different. Even most of the TSN guys went "Who?" when 55 was picked. most of the"hockey people I know said it was a horrible choice at the time. Almost everyone wanted/predicted Couturier to the jets.

One of the commentators said they had him at like 22 or 24 during the 2011 Draft when Scheifele was draft

That's fine, there are lots of lists out there.

My point is that it doesn't make it a "dumb" pick, and it's not true that "most" analysts had him 15 picks higher when guys like Button and McKenzie alone are not in that category.

I'd like to see the list where he was in the mid to late second round though.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
That's far from a complete list of draft picks. The Jets have had their fair share of dud picks. Yuen, Sutter, Glover etc....

Nov 24, 2006

I recall the analysts saying Scheifele was a reach, but not an outrageous one as, funny enough, Blake Wheeler was considered when Phoenix took him 5th. That was a shocker.

The laughter when Couts "fell" to Philly on the main boards was pretty funny in hindsight. I was gutted when we took Scheifele. I feel pretty good about that choice now.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Re: Scheifele pick.....not a big reach. The Mckenzie consensus (based on ten actual NHL lists) had him 12th. He was only a reach for many because he was such a riser and very few had ever heard if him.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
[mod] I said they are the best drafting team in the NHL not a perfect drafting team. Which other team can claim such 1st round success with an average 12.5 draft position over the last 6 years? As for the fake news claim, you are just not looking at the facts, so fake news is simply the facts plus an optimistic view.

It seems that our future is bright. I would think this train of thought is shared by many hockey people.

Last edited by a moderator:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
they've been money in the first round, other than that not so much. IMO Tampa Bay is the best drafting team in the league. Kucherov, Palat, Killorn, Point, Dochtin, Johnson (UDFA). None of these guys are 1st roudners

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
[mod] I said they are the best drafting team in the NHL not a perfect drafting team. Which other team can claim such 1st round success with an average 12.5 draft position over the last 6 years? As for the fake news claim, you are just not looking at the facts, so fake news is simply the facts plus an optimistic view.

It seems that our future is bright. I would think this train of thought is shared by many hockey people.

If the Jet are the best. Who is second? Third? How did you determine the ranking? Who is last?

If it's just your opinion based on no evidence then you should say so. If not provide some evidence to support your claim.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Never mind the Scheifele pick how does the Josh Morrissey pick at 13 look today? 1st team D and his future looks very bright. Nikolaj Ehlers at 9 looks like a 1st line player with high end potential. Calling picks lucky is crazy, it only proves that the Jets know talent as others pass over these gems.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Re: Scheifele pick.....not a big reach. The Mckenzie consensus (based on ten actual NHL lists) had him 12th. He was only a reach for many because he was such a riser and very few had ever heard if him.

Just a small correction: 10 NHL employees not lists.

McKenzie asks a few scouts and ops guys for their lists and aggregates them. They are individuals who do not represent the overall list for their own team.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't have data to quantify how they do against other teams but to me:

Scheifele and Trouba are exceeding their draft slots and both are in the running for best players in their respective draft classes.

A similar case can be made for Ehlers as he would likely fall within the top 4 or 5 of his draft class.

Morrissey looks like he'll at minnimum cover the bet for his slot.he could challenge the top but it's way too soon to say.

Hard to say at this point with the 2015 crop but both look very promising at this point.

Laine is well Laine.

Stanley the lone outlier so far.

I don't know if other teams have done better given their slots in the first round but what the Jets have done is very impressive.

I do think there are teams like Tampa that outperform them in the later rounds though.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets' average first pick since their arrival in Winnipeg has been 9.5. That's behind only Edmonton (2.8) and Buffalo (8.0). Just ahead of Florida (10.0), Toronto (10.2) and the Islanders (11.0).

So we should expect them to have a pretty good prospect pool based on where they've been picking. But I think they've outperformed even relative to their high average spot.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Jets' average first pick since their arrival in Winnipeg has been 9.5. That's behind only Edmonton (2.8) and Buffalo (8.0). Just ahead of Florida (10.0), Toronto (10.2) and the Islanders (11.0).

So we should expect them to have a pretty good prospect pool based on where they've been picking. But I think they've outperformed even relative to their high average spot.

Including Roslo and Stanley that puts us at 11.75 or behind Toronto as they didn't have additional 1st round picks.

Also Toronto would have had a top 10 pick in 2011 but they traded it away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad