Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jets sign Matt Hendricks (1 year, $700K)

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Hhahhhahahaha ****ing Chevy. Doesn't do anything but sign useless players.

Umm...look at the list of remaining free agents. It's not packed with useful players.
That said, there doesn't seem to be much negative about this guy, and he's signed to the league minimum contract. Wtf more do you want?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Umm...look at the list of remaining free agents. It's not packed with useful players.
That said, there doesn't seem to be much negative about this guy, and he's signed to the league minimum contract. Wtf more do you want?

He is well past any kind of usefullness at the NHL level. Even the much talked about PK...

Plus this will likely block a much better younger player from playing. They've now signed two guys to one-way contracts that actively hurt the Jets while on the ice (Tanev and Hendriks) who are likely to play. Meaning instead of being a 4 line deep team the Jets are likely back to having a 4th line play as a 3rd line (Lowry line) and a useless 6 min bottom line.

Could be that I am wrong and Hendriks and Tanev are waived, Jets start to recognize how to build a team for the modern game. But they have not shown that ability in 6 years in Winnipeg so far.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
He is well past any kind of usefullness at the NHL level. Even the much talked about PK...

Plus this will likely block a much better younger player from playing. They've now signed two guys to one-way contracts that actively hurt the Jets while on the ice (Tanev and Hendriks) who are likely to play. Meaning instead of being a 4 line deep team the Jets are likely back to having a 4th line play as a 3rd line (Lowry line) and a useless 6 min bottom line.

Could be that I am wrong and Hendriks and Tanev are waived, Jets start to recognize how to build a team for the modern game. But they have not shown that ability in 6 years in Winnipeg so far.

He's depth, I doubt he plays unless we have serious injury trouble. He might have a set role/player to replace if they get injured, but I sincerely doubt he's our first call-up if things go south.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
He's depth, I doubt he plays unless we have serious injury trouble. He might have a set role/player to replace if they get injured, but I sincerely doubt he's our first call-up if things go south.

If he is in AHL to start year I am ok with the signing, even if it's a huge waste of resources to spend 700K on a glue AHL guy. But it's at least understandable. I just doubt that's it goes down and Maurice uses him as the 4th C from day one...which is just plain dumb. Not too mention he will hurt our already bad PK if Jets play him on PK.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
If he is in AHL to start year I am ok with the signing, even if it's a huge waste of resources to spend 700K on a glue AHL guy. But it's at least understandable. I just doubt that's it goes down and Maurice uses him as the 4th C from day one...which is just plain dumb. Not too mention he will hurt our already bad PK if Jets play him on PK.

My guess - he gets ice time if someone like Armia or Lowry (PK regulars) go down. Petan and Dano aren't exactly great PKers, Roslovic and Connor don't exactly fit the bill.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I doubt you would not hear an Oiler fan say an ill word about Hendy's work ethic and character. He is all heart and effort. I also commend his appreciation for military personnel.

He did seem to lose a step last year but he could be a solid depth signing... not much to lose at that cost.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Costs nothing to sign character guy to play on the Moose or as 14th forward......nothing wrong with it.

Now if PMO plays him on the 4th line or PK without multiple injuries causing it.....that's a problem.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Slow clap.

Good guy and getting him back for Devan Dubnyk softened the blow of losing a future star goaltender.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If the roster spots which he will occupy start from 13th forward and down from there, I am happy with this one. If this is supposed to strengthen the roster, oh lord.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I love Hendricks, but I'll be very surprised if cracks the lineup for more than a couple dozen games this upcoming season. He doesn't have NHL wheels anymore.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I think he's still a decent 4th liner, but he was surpassed by better options last season. Was really good for us for awhile there though. Good luck to him in Winnipeg!

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Hendricks became one of my favourites a couple of years ago in preseason, when he won me a bet. With only a couple of minutes remaining, he scored to tie a game shorthanded. Matt Hendricks. I mean, what are the odds? :laugh:

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
the guy might still be a warrior, but at 36, he's well past his expiry date and not very fast anymore. i wish him well but i can see him in and out of the Jets lineup all season as a "as needed" type of player, similar to his last season with the Oilers.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Very happy to see him get another deal.

He is a warrior. The definition of heart. His game fell apart this year, but he never stopped battling.

The day we got him, he was one of the few guys that cared, I give him plenty of credit with the culture change here.

Warrior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->