Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jets extend Joe Morrow (1 year, $1M)

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Chevy hopefully can also work at more than one thing at a time.
Lol...I’d hope so.
Hey, I’m not saying I don’t trust Chevy or that Morrow isn’t a good signing at 1m.
I’m just saying that to me, you focus on the priorities and a bottom pairing/depth D isn’t really a priority.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Lol...I’d hope so.
Hey, I’m not saying I don’t trust Chevy or that Morrow isn’t a good signing at 1m.
I’m just saying that to me, you focus on the priorities and a bottom pairing/depth D isn’t really a priority.

Just because he signed Joe Morrow that doesn't mean he's not focusing on making it happen with Stastny.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
My point is that the Jets have other priorities that should take precedent over signing a #6,7,8 Dman. Joe Morrow type players are dime a dozen and can be acquired at anytime.
For me, first you deal with the Stastny/2C issue and the RFAs, then you look at your bottom pairing/depth players.

I would guess this is a small part in a larger series of moves that Chevy wants to execute. Perhaps having a certain amount of D signed at lower costs is something he wants to do prior to making a lerger move? Perhaps moving a D on a bigger contract out?

It doesn't matter at all what order these things happen in at this point in time.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
The Morrow signing for me is a basis for a Myers or Kulikov being moved out deal.
NHL ready:
RHD depth Trouba-Buff-Myers-Poolman-Nogier
LHD depth Morrisey-Kulikov-Morrow-Chiarot-Niku

I think the LHD is stronger prospect wise too as you've still got Samberg and Stanley who might not be far off from NHL ready where I think the closes RHD is Green (as far as prospects).

Jets need the CAP space from Myers/Kulikov deal for everything else to work. Myers might actually get you an asset back right now as well where as Kulikov...not so much. Might have to see what happens with Faulk right now first though

Reactions: 20 others

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Koolikov may have his surgery and be out for the year, this signing makes sense. Would Kuli's contract still count against the cap if that's the case? Possible Stastny space.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
Koolikov may have his surgery and be out for the year, this signing makes sense. Would Kuli's contract still count against the cap if that's the case? Possible Stastny space.
Yes it still counts. He can go on LTIR and free up space but we'd be tight to the limit due to performance bonuses (which LTIR can't cover)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I watched the Jets pretty much exclusively the last month of the season. And I would have preferred they played Morrow instead of Enstrom.

This is a very good understated signing. Only 1M and 1 year for a player that can play effectively on the 3rd pairing.
Agree. Morrow was very effective down the stretch and in the playoffs. He was particularly effective with Byfuglien, so he can move up the line-up, if necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad