Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jacob Trouba signs (2 years, $3M AAV)

Nov 24, 2006
He is from the U.S. someone wanting to go back to their home country to live and play but can't understand why really? really? really?

Players may want to be in a place different from where they play for a living. In fact, if you asked them all, most of them would probably want to play and live somewhere else. But they don't, and for a variety of reasons.

Stamkos didn't want to go home to Toronto when he was free to do so, and neither did Lecavalier to Montreal. Did Gretzky? Did Lemieux? You stay where you are for a variety of reasons: team-mates, potential of the team, aversion to change, comfort, lots of reasons.

The very CBA that made Trouba a millionaire at age 18 is the same one that has now made him a multi-millionaire at age 22, but keeps him on a team he may not want to be on. Go figure.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
But med schools are so hard to get into. How does she know she's gonna get into the American city he gets traded to?

And his dad.... lmao what did he do?

Jacob Trouba and his family have effed up priorities. Everyone around him should be doing their best to HELP his career.

Trouba would be great in Toronto, but I don't even know if I want him considering everything. He seems like the type that puts himself above the team... bet he would bolt as soon as he hit UFA.

Rielly is the total opposite. He wants to be here.

The cities Trouba was linked to (NY, BOS, DET, PHI, etc) all have multiple med schools to work with.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
None of this is very surprising. Jets asked a lot more than he was worth and in the end player caves and signs a fair contract for probably a bit less than he could have gotten. RFA are at such disadvantage trying to dictate their destiny, no leverage at all.
Good for the Jets for standing their ground with the brat.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Chevy has in a way quite effectively poisoned the well. He has little reason to trade him now while Trouba is on such a cheap ticket unless the return is an elite young player that replaces him, period. He won't be had cheaply on contract going forward either, as you stated, Trouba is in line for a big deal now. That cuts some franchises out that assumed they could sign him at a realistic long-term figure right now.

One team that has their books set up to pay Trouba handsomely on an extension - and as early as on July 1, 2017? The Winnipeg Jets.

Kudos again to the team for fixing this without him missing a year, that would have been a mess for the team, player and league.

The thing I don't get about a long term extension down the line and him not wanting to be traded anymore is that I can't wrap my head around why any of this happened if that's really the case. He's happy there and wants to stay? So, he held out for this long to get... a pretty cheap bridge deal? I feel I'm missing something.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Kudos again to the team for fixing this without him missing a year, that would have been a mess for the team, player and league.

The thing I don't get about a long term extension down the line and him not wanting to be traded anymore is that I can't wrap my head around why any of this happened if that's really the case. He's happy there and wants to stay? So, he held out for this long to get... a pretty cheap bridge deal? I feel I'm missing something.

Jets have one of the best young cores in the league and in 2 years there could be a top pairing RD spot available with Morrissey on the left side.
He has now 2 years to watch how things go.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Jets have one of the best young cores in the league and in 2 years there could be a top pairing RD spot available with Morrissey on the left side.
He has now 2 years to watch how things go.

Did he have to hold out to get this in the first place though? I never heard anything suggesting that he'd sign with WPG from the start is the deal were a two year bridge.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
if she's not accepted in Canada its because of her grades. In general USA= easier to get into. Apply in Canada, if you're not accepted go to the US. If you can't get into US med school either you go to the Carribean. That's the application path most people i know have followed(from canada).

yeah very "in general" if you're talking about the number of slots available, considering the US has 126 medical schools and canada has 17.
I'm sure a canadian would have no problem waltzing into Stanford if they couldn't get a slot in UBC.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
if she's not accepted in Canada its because of her grades. In general USA= easier to get into. Apply in Canada, if you're not accepted go to the US. If you can't get into US med school either you go to the Carribean. That's the application path most people i know have followed(from canada).

Not true, here in Winnipeg, for example, the med school at U of M is not accepting international students.

Renzor

Dec 4, 2008
^ To add to above, if you're a Canadian who did their undergrad and/or graduate studies in the US, your chances of getting into med school/PhD program in Canada are virtually zero. An old friend along with one of his classmates had no luck with admittance into Canadian Universities (as they wanted to practice here), even with both obtaining their masters with honours at an Ivy League school.

If she wants to go to med school, it's not happening in Canada.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Curious if Jet fans would be interested in a Vatanan for Trouba swap. I know they'd prefer a LHD, but I'm wondering could find a more equitable swap given the situation.

I think Trouba is the better player, but 5 years at under $5 million is a pretty good contract for Vatanen for an offensive RHD defenseman.

This would help the ducks save money for 2 years and probably improve their chances for a cup run. They'd pay for it 2 years when Trouba, Fowler, Manson, and many other RFAs are up for new contracts.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Curious if Jet fans would be interested in a Vatanan for Trouba swap. I know they'd prefer a LHD, but I'm wondering could find a more equitable swap given the situation.

I think Trouba is the better player, but 5 years at under $5 million is a pretty good contract for Vatanen for an offensive RHD defenseman.

This would help the ducks save money for 2 years and probably improve their chances for a cup run. They'd pay for it 2 years when Trouba, Fowler, Manson, and many other RFAs are up for new contracts.

Make's zero sense for Winnipeg. No thanks.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax

Could be a base potentially, but I think ANA adds here, a LHD prospect, with WPG also adding a prospect to balance it out.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
As an non-fan Trouba to Red Wings makes sense. The Michigan-connection is of course an bonus. But the main thing is they really need an young defenceman to build around. They haven´t got that many great young forwards either, but more upside there than d-men. And Trouba would there have the chance for more responsibility right away.

Tatar/Nyqvist + Athanasiou for Trouba to me would be an fair deal for both. But guess I´m gonna get burned by both fan bases :D

And the dream for Winnipeg I guess is keeping Trouba, as they have a nice young team coming up that could be top 5-10 in the leauge in just a few years.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
As an non-fan Trouba to Red Wings makes sense. The Michigan-connection is of course an bonus. But the main thing is they really need an young defenceman to build around. They haven´t got that many great young forwards either, but more upside there than d-men. And Trouba would there have the chance for more responsibility right away.

Tatar/Nyqvist + Athanasiou for Trouba to me would be an fair deal for both. But guess I´m gonna get burned by both fan bases :D

And the dream for Winnipeg I guess is keeping Trouba, as they have a nice young team coming up that could be top 5-10 in the leauge in just a few years.

Need a quality D-man coming back. Wingers and forwards are not a problem atm, but behind Buff, Enstrom, Dolph Lundgren and Josh M, we lack quality D-men..

Pongs21

Jul 18, 2011
Halifax

Apparently Chevy's ask was Larkin, so yeah. Unless something changes, I don't see it happening.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Could be a base potentially, but I think ANA adds here, a LHD prospect, with WPG also adding a prospect to balance it out.

we have quite a few:

Pettersson - probably could be had with nothing/minor prospect coming back (2014 2nd round pick)
Theodore/Larson - we'd expect a very good forward prospect back

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Need a quality D-man coming back. Wingers and forwards are not a problem atm, but behind Buff, Enstrom, Dolph Lundgren and Josh M, we lack quality D-men..

Apparently Chevy's ask was Larkin, so yeah. Unless something changes, I don't see it happening.

Thanks for the answers both of you. Yeah, the Jets sure have an great gang of young forwards. So they already have an great hand and don´t need to gamble here. And young defencemen are an much higher valued assett at the time being in the NHL. And as Larkin is both the Red Wings most valuable trading piece and the one they least wanna part with, it´s hard to get an deal done I guess.

Pongs21

Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
we have quite a few:

Pettersson - probably could be had with nothing/minor prospect coming back (2014 2nd round pick)
Theodore/Larson - we'd expect a very good forward prospect back

Theodore/Larson would be the prospect I'm sure we'd be looking for in addition. In terms of fwd prospect coming back that one could be tricky with each fan base expectations and valuations of players. I can't remember which insider who said it (MacKenzie, Dreger or Lebrun) but they said that cap space has become an asset in itself, and getting the younger, better (IMO) and higher ceiling D man along with cap space is also extended value on top of Trouba. And I think that's where our fan bases may disagree with the prospect being attached to Trouba would be, along with player valuation.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

He wants out but it's not happening, second best option is to do what he loves and get paid 3m USD for it. Just my guess.

What I am not sure about is how it affects Trouba's attitude and the lockerroom. Many organizations probably wouldn't want to keep a player that really really don't want to be there. There were the same rumblings after the team moved from ATL, and it seems like that didn't quite work out. But OTOH, it's not like Trouba is in prison or "Siberia". Winnipeg is a nice place with a great fan base. Maybe it will work out in the end.

Nov 24, 2006

As fans with literally no inside information, we often assume that the reasons a player want a trade are different from what the player/agent actually state.

At the end of it all, with him signing, and rescinding the trade request, maybe he (in his own 22 year old mind) truly felt he should be "the guy" on defence. #1 minutes, and #1 PP time and then realized it wasn't going to be handed to him, by the Jets or any other team he wanted to go to.

The reality of the situation is that he is signed, he may or may not be traded within 2 years, but also, he will likely wind up being the Jets #1 defenceman within 3-4 years. Buff and Enstrom are getting older, Myers and Morrissey, while good, are softer. Trouba is exactly what this team needs, a big, tough, slightly aggressive defenceman.

I hope he sticks around long enough for us to find out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad